HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 05:12 PM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkfly View Post
I am fully aware of the use of Sbus and currently have 4 Sbus decoders, but that is not what I am suggesting. s bus requires a connection back to the RX. Re-assigning output channels allows totally Independant setups and a measure of redundancy

Tom
Sorry Tom, I didn't expand on my idea very well. You could have multiple receivers in the plane, and use the sbus out from each to control that part of the plane. Thus you could have multiple receivers and drive whatever channels you like. Probably easier than messing with a bunch of firmware changes on the receivers.

-Wayne
Rotozuk is online now Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 09:25 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2008
4,633 Posts
Wow, I guess the X4R was a lot more popular than the X4R-SB. T-9hobbysport had both in stock starting last week, and the X4R sold out quick, and there are still a lot of the X4R-SB's in stock. People must be finding more use for the 4 channels than SBUS at the moment for whatever aircraft they are installing them into.
T-CAT is offline Find More Posts by T-CAT
Old Yesterday, 09:33 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
5,837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-CAT View Post
Wow, I guess the X4R was a lot more popular than the X4R-SB. T-9hobbysport had both in stock starting last week, and the X4R sold out quick, and there are still a lot of the X4R-SB's in stock. People must be finding more use for the 4 channels than SBUS at the moment for whatever aircraft they are installing them into.
No surprise there! I'll wager the X4R will sell out as fast as they can be made and the X4R-SB's will mostly gather dust on the shelves.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 11:34 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2008
4,633 Posts
Yeparooni ....agreed.
T-CAT is offline Find More Posts by T-CAT
Old Today, 01:13 AM
United Kingdom, England, Birkenhead
Joined Jan 2013
1,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk View Post
Sorry Tom, I didn't expand on my idea very well. You could have multiple receivers in the plane, and use the sbus out from each to control that part of the plane. Thus you could have multiple receivers and drive whatever channels you like. Probably easier than messing with a bunch of firmware changes on the receivers.

-Wayne
Yes you could, but there are a number of reasons why RX s bound to channels is better. More choice of servos, less costly, more reliable and I don't like "y" leads ( too many failure points)
As I said in my earlier post, I have 4 Sbus decoders. I find them a little fussy about the way the ch mix is setup and sometimes need the RX to be power cycled 2 or 3 times for them to sync. ( mine are older ones, the new ones I believe may be better)
I now now prefer to use two X8R bound 1-8 and 9-16.

My suggestion was to have the ability to bind to different channels, in the same way as I can bind my X8Rs. Not firmware changes.

Tom
Tomkfly is online now Find More Posts by Tomkfly
Old Today, 05:20 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2012
1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page View Post
No surprise there! I'll wager the X4R will sell out as fast as they can be made and the X4R-SB's will mostly gather dust on the shelves.
Two things will change that IMHO

The realisation that 16 channels is available from a tiny device and

The availability of SBUS support on a wider range of flight controllers.

As it is, PPM is the better option for many FCs at present and there's absolutely nothing wrong with the D4R-II for that purpose. If an X series receiver is required, say, for a SPORT connection, in a PPM environment, that option is available for a small extra cost and not much of a weight penalty.

I personally won't be deliberately buying the non-SBUS version (although I may have some turn up when my next delivery arrives. But moving a soldered jumper from one place to another to convert it is no big deal for me.
mpjf01 is offline Find More Posts by mpjf01
Old Today, 09:36 AM
United States, MD, Owings Mills
Joined Oct 2013
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpjf01 View Post
Two things will change that IMHO

The realisation that 16 channels is available from a tiny device and

The availability of SBUS support on a wider range of flight controllers.

As it is, PPM is the better option for many FCs at present and there's absolutely nothing wrong with the D4R-II for that purpose. If an X series receiver is required, say, for a SPORT connection, in a PPM environment, that option is available for a small extra cost and not much of a weight penalty.

I personally won't be deliberately buying the non-SBUS version (although I may have some turn up when my next delivery arrives. But moving a soldered jumper from one place to another to convert it is no big deal for me.
Make your voice heard, post a comment on the FrSky forum. Link is in the post here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...php?p=28993731
shadowjig is online now Find More Posts by shadowjig
Old Today, 12:07 PM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
3,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkfly View Post
would it be possible to develop firmware to allow the x4r/x4 r-sb to allow them to be bound to channels 9 to 12 and /or any other channels. This would allow the placement of one rx in the fuselage and another in the wing/s.
I know there a a few people interested i'm doing this.
1-4, 5-8, 9-12 and 13 -16 would be fantastic, but 1 -4 and 9-16 would be good.

Tom
+100
chewytm is online now Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Today, 12:09 PM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
3,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowjig View Post
Make your voice heard, post a comment on the FrSky forum. Link is in the post here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...php?p=28993731
I think u linked to the wrong thread
chewytm is online now Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Today, 12:29 PM
United States, MD, Owings Mills
Joined Oct 2013
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewytm View Post
I think u linked to the wrong thread
http://www.frsky-rc.com/BBS/viewtopi...9d6edcd2#p7272
shadowjig is online now Find More Posts by shadowjig
Old Today, 12:30 PM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-CAT View Post
Keep in mind that T9 is mostly a glider shop, so sales will be a bit skewed to that audience. The 4 channels is great for the glider folks. The SB will speak more to the mutli-rotor market, that tends to be very active here in the USA.

-Wayne
Rotozuk is online now Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor