HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2004, 06:17 PM
Joined Feb 2004
19 Posts
Question
Who'll build me a Bird of Time Wing?

Is there anyone out there, that will build me a Strong Bird of time wing?? Maybe not one that would take a full pedal winch launch, but one that will not fold under a strong winch. I don't trust the BOT wing after so many have folded using a winch.

I would also be interested if someone could strengthen the one I have.
michaeljt is offline Find More Posts by michaeljt
Last edited by michaeljt; Feb 10, 2004 at 06:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2004, 06:44 PM
Chesapeake, VA
Joined Apr 2002
96 Posts
michaeljt:

You could probably make the mod to your present wing yourself. One of the best things to do is carefully remove the covering in the vicinity of the spar. Glue in new shear webbing that fits the space between the upper and lower spars, aligning the web material so that the grain is up and down between the spars. The more exacting the fit, the stronger the joints. If for example the spars are 3/8 inch wide, use 3/8 balsa as a material.

R/
Gene
AcintSpec is offline Find More Posts by AcintSpec
Old Feb 12, 2004, 11:08 PM
Joined Feb 2004
19 Posts
I found someone.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 09:04 PM
Modesto, Ca.
Joined Jun 2003
5 Posts
Michaeljt:

I did just that, removed the white covering on the center section, removed all the 1/16" horz. balsa shear webs, I setup a fence on my saw and cut 3/8" vertical grain basal shear webs to a tight fit, coated with yellow glue, and slid them in to place, I don't think the tip section will need any work, as the center section takes most of the load, but remember this is a balsa, and hard wood constructed wing.

Happy soaring

ercouper, MRCC
ercouper is offline Find More Posts by ercouper
Last edited by ercouper; Feb 18, 2004 at 09:06 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2004, 05:46 AM
Punta Gorda, FL
Joined Apr 2002
4,952 Posts
Shear webs that are 1/16 of an inch thick at the center of the wing will fail in shear with a line tension somewhere between about twenty and forty pounds, depending on the density of the balsa used in the shear webs. This result applies to webbing with either vertical or horizontal grain direction. The main advantage of vertical grain over horizontal grain is that it resists buckling in the top (compressed) spar cap better.

In my opinion, the prudent thing to do when launching a stock BOT ARF wing is to use a short piece of 20 pound test monofilament in series with the launch line to act as a fusible link so that the link breaks before the wings fold. This is called for even with histarts if the histart can withstand over 20 pounds of tension.
Ollie is offline Find More Posts by Ollie
Last edited by Ollie; Feb 19, 2004 at 06:21 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2004, 06:39 PM
Joined Feb 2004
19 Posts
Just incase anyone is interested, this link will take you to a website where you can purchase BOT laser cut ribs. This is also the person, I was refered, to build me a BOT wing that will withstand a full pedal winch launch. Also he's installing spoilers while he's at it.

Laser cut ribs for the Bird of Time
All wood is hand selected "C" grain
The inner root ribs are rock hard
The main panel ribs are #4-6 Contest Grade
The tip panels are #4-6 Contest Grade
The ribs were CAD from Dave Thornburgs' original plans he submitted to RCM

http://www.soaringspecialties.com/contact.shtml
Old Mar 09, 2010, 08:38 AM
Taos, NM
Joined Oct 2008
61 Posts
I might suggest a carbon fiber rod be glued in along a spar.
ameimen is offline Find More Posts by ameimen
Old Mar 09, 2010, 09:25 AM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,481 Posts
Resurrected a thread after six years! I wonder what the record is.
Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
Old Mar 09, 2010, 08:20 PM
No substitute for aspect ratio
Norwalk, CT aka the Nutmeg State -- I just can't seem to find any %$#@! nutmeg here?
Joined Nov 2003
2,254 Posts
I'll do it! I need $6000 and a case of Jim Beam. Oh, and a couple years for delivery.
SPasierb is online now Find More Posts by SPasierb