HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:35 AM
Gary, IN, USA
Joined Jul 1999
940 Posts
Discussion
Need a transmitter dictionary

I spent most of my life writing instructions, specifications and various how-tos. I built one of the first PC kits in 1984 (discreet components that required 5,000 solder connections) and have flown RC since the mid '50s. I now admit that model aviaunicts has passed me by. I bought the Turnigy 9X and had to have a younger electronic technician do the ER9X upgrade for me. I have spent hours trying to decypher what the short mess of letters mean for programing the functions. In all the discussion posts there wasn't a clue that this 9ch radio with all the knobs, switches and sticks comes set up only as a basic 4ch radio.
Which finally brings me to my question; where can I find a dictionary for the meanings of all those short mess of letters so that I can make this a 9ch radio?
Jim Petro is offline Find More Posts by Jim Petro
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:41 AM
Joined Aug 2002
5,809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Petro View Post
I spent most of my life writing instructions, specifications and various how-tos. I built one of the first PC kits in 1984 (discreet components that required 5,000 solder connections) and have flown RC since the mid '50s. I now admit that model aviaunicts has passed me by. I bought the Turnigy 9X and had to have a younger electronic technician do the ER9X upgrade for me. I have spent hours trying to decypher what the short mess of letters mean for programing the functions. In all the discussion posts there wasn't a clue that this 9ch radio with all the knobs, switches and sticks comes set up only as a basic 4ch radio.
Which finally brings me to my question; where can I find a dictionary for the meanings of all those short mess of letters so that I can make this a 9ch radio?
Good start:
. Flysky 9x, aka Imax 9x, aka Turnigy 9x, aka Eurgle 9 Ch - Manual post #9 & FAQ

Much more information available below
"Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ" at
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Alan T.
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:07 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,015 Posts
Quote:
I bought the Turnigy 9X and had to have a younger electronic technician do the ER9X upgrade for me. I have spent hours trying to decypher what the short mess of letters mean for programing the functions. In all the discussion posts there wasn't a clue that this 9ch radio with all the knobs, switches and sticks comes set up only as a basic 4ch radio.
First, it isn't a 9 channel radio once you go to 2.4 as the PPM encoding as currently implemented only handles 8 channels (it was only ever a 9 channel radio when operating in PCM mode on 35 or 72 MHz). So 9x is a misnomer, but that's what it's called.

Second, it's important to distinguish between the stock firmware, which is what the above post is about, and ER9X firmware, which you have had installed.

Not sure which manual or other source you are using but here is the basic one that will explain what it's all about:
http://9xforums.com/wiki/index.php/Er9x_user_guide
It's a good deal more than a "dictionary" and is what you need to understand the approach.

If your transmitter has a programmer installed you can link to your computer and use eepe, which allows you to back up the transmitter, update to the latest firmware, save model configurations and do the programming on the computer with the built-in simulator. If it doesn't, and was flashed with a programmer that was then removed, you will have to do the programming on the transmitter.

Here's the stuff on EEPE.
http://9xforums.com/wiki/index.php/E...your_life_easy

There's also a bunch of useful stuff here:
http://code.google.com/p/er9x/
I found the following on that site very useful when I was getting started:
Simple 4 Channel Tutorial by ghost.

I hope this helps. The curve is a bit steep at first, but once you see how simple and totally flexible the ER9X approach is, you won't want to use other programming systems.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:18 AM
Tennessee
Joined Sep 2003
2,306 Posts
Quote:
I agree. I have been flying RC since 1956 and became a technical writer for McDonnell Aircraft from 1958 through 1960 followed by 32 years as a test projects engineer conducting wind tunnels tests of missiles and aircraft. A lot of that time I was writing operating instructions for the craftsmen running the equipment. One of the things I learned was how many different ways an operator can run a checklist.

I have never seen a good set of instructions for all the many different radios I have used in the last 50 years. When I get a new radio, the first thing I do is to write a checklist for everything starting with 1. Turn on transmitter ( or receiver sometimes) with every step numbered. None of this turn on transmitter and receiver. Which one first. It sometimes matters. Numbereds steps helps to keep things in the proper order. I then keep the checklist in a notebook on a shelf in my shop.
ChuckA is offline Find More Posts by ChuckA