HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:45 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
United States, NJ, Hillsborough Township
Joined Sep 2011
1,458 Posts
Discussion
Testing a Lipo with my PL6

I have a PL6 that I love, have mostly just used it with the onscreen display in the past, always puzzled over what some of the readings were as I scrolled through the info screens while charging.

Had picked up a smattering of used lipos recently. All of them were received at storage voltage except one, an 1800 mah 3s Dualsky pack showing up at 4.12, 4.13, 4.11. So while I cleaned the kitchen I hooked up my little 3 in 1 meter to discharge it and then to balance it. I got it down in the 3.90 range and shifted to balancing, and it didn't seem to want to balance. Set it aside until the weekend when I would have time to fiddle with it.

Took the laptop to the bench to watch build vids while working as well as install the FMA software. Set the pack up by itself on my MPA on preset one, with mostly default settings and set it to charge and then run 1 cycle. Took quite a while to charge, then did 1 cycle, and I saved the resulting graph. Also saved some PL6 files but may have screwed them up, not used to this software yet.

I think the IR readings were in the vicinity of 11, 12, 17 but can't recall for certain.

1- I think this battery may be toast. Am I right? If so I need to tell the guy I got them from, I had told him I had trouble balancing it so it won't be a shock.

2- My firmware is not the most recent one, I believe it's 1.07 and there's a 1.10 on the site, is it a significant upgrade in features or functionality to do the update?

3- Any tips or advice on settings or practices for using the laptop linked PL6 to get the best understanding of the condition of my lipos?

I tried to upload the two CP6 files I saved while puttering around with the software but the RCG software didn't recognize the CP6 extension, so I changed the extension to txt. Should be able to save and edit the extension back.
BrownEyedFool is online now Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:59 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,548 Posts
Your graph looks like perhaps a 3 min. discharge which would suggest perhaps a 15 to 20C discharge rate and shows cell #1 droping faster and deeper than the others.

A multi cycles graph here at 4.5C discharge rate.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=12

PL6 will do a CC/CV discharge to storage at up to 50 watts which is much prefered over the device you used. LiPolys should not be balance discharged or balanced while discharged.

Link to thread in case you do not now how to do so from a single post.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post16179549
Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer