Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 09, 2012, 11:39 PM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
ohh the evil bug is nice plus I can merge my desired "tailboom" into that design really easily.

any pictures of it on a ladybird ? (u816 or anything like that)
I don't have one so when I get mine I won't be able to confirm. But due to the short booms I have a feeling it might cause an issue.
jlcamp7 is offline Find More Posts by jlcamp7
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2012, 11:45 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
8,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcamp7 View Post
I don't have one so when I get mine I won't be able to confirm. But due to the short booms I have a feeling it might cause an issue.
how did you order yours?? just pm??
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:20 AM
RC Logger Support
Joined Jan 2010
3,132 Posts
Yes just pm. He sent me his PayPal address. Doesn't speak English perfect, but well enough to understand. Took a little to fully understand pricing but it is as follows:

Each canopy is 5 (euros)

Shipping is 5.90 (euros)

Shipping doesn't change for between 1-10 canopies.

I just let him know I wanted 1 red and 1 black. Also clear is now available. The black and red are not painted but supposedly made from a semi transparent material so you can still see the bind light.

Also I will be able to test if it works with a lb size quad. I just placed an order for ladybird booms and a mqx board for a hybrid quad.

By the way he said he's been extremely busy, so it might take 24+ hours for a response.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:24 AM
RC Logger Support
Joined Jan 2010
3,132 Posts
Also you can check out his website at cteammod.com
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:30 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystman View Post
This is a LB without mainboard!! It's only 4 Motors, frame, canopy and propellers.
You NEED a original LB mainboard http://9imod.com/index.php?main_page...oducts_id=1866 to use it

You can get a LB V2 board from banggood for $21 : http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Wa...2-p-49400.html

Or the V1 board for $41 : http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Wa...7-p-46564.html
does anybody know the size and weight of these? im looking for smallest quad rx w/o spending hundred$.
dave1993 is offline Find More Posts by dave1993
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:38 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,959 Posts
Quote:
I am also wondering when someone is going to make one of these things fly inverted. the tiny direct drive units (u816 or ladybird) should be able to stop reverse and spin up the blades in reverse fast enough (tiny direct drive low inertia) fast enough to remain airborne and have all the controls "flip" in the TX so it flies like normal but "upside down"
this is no more possible than getting a plane to fly backwards. reversing motor direction does not reverse thrust. you need variable pitch prop like on a 3d heli. not likely to ever happen either because you can buy several of these toy quads for the cost of just a single variable blade.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 02:59 PM
Grrr :-)
Levittown PA 19057
Joined Aug 2006
435 Posts
your kidding right dave? if you reverse a fixed pitch prop you reverse its thrust.

yes normal props are "less efficient" reversed since they have an airfoil on them but these do not. they will spin and thrust in reverse JUST FINE either way.

don't believe me? swap your props and hold it upside down and "throttle up"
nerys is offline Find More Posts by nerys
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:17 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,959 Posts
Quote:
your kidding right dave? if you reverse a fixed pitch prop you reverse its thrust.

yes normal props are "less efficient" reversed since they have an airfoil on them but these do not. they will spin and thrust in reverse JUST FINE either way.
i guess "just fine" is in the eye of the beholder. ive put a prop on backwards by accident probably a hundred times last few years (no exaggeration, poor eyesight) and in most cases plane was unable to get airborne. many are extreme minimal energy design but even those with excess power budget notice the mistake immediately. assuming they do get off the ground at all. a micro quad, having fraction of that margin, has little chance. ymmv (but no matter what will be very low with backwards prop).

and it looks like you are confusing coax heli tail prop with the ones here. micro quad prop airfoil needs very sophisticated undercamber design to function.
Last edited by dave1993; Sep 10, 2012 at 03:36 PM. Reason: ground not gorund
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:32 PM
Levittown PA 19057
Joined Aug 2006
435 Posts
that would be because the prop is pushing BACKWARDS so of course the plane won't fly.

I am looking at the props on my U816 and ladybird. they are flat planes. no camber anywhere.

hang on let me try something

wow that failed. I swapped the props and tried to fly it upside down but the gyro's immediately tried to flip it it "feels" like it has more than enough thrust to fly inverted but the gyro's won't let me do it :-)

maybe when I get my second u816 I will "flip" the main board over so it "thinks" its right side up :-)
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:38 PM
Joined Sep 2012
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
What are you doing for spare batteries fro the Syma?
I dont have any spare batteries right now. I really dont need one. Since I am a newbie. One charged battery is enough for me.

I got the Bumblebee too. It is well made. Looks much better than the picture on Syma's website
My kid really loves it. Keeps asking me to fly and flip it.
zxfly is offline Find More Posts by zxfly
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:47 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,959 Posts
Quote:
that would be because the prop is pushing BACKWARDS so of course the plane won't fly.
no. you still miss my point. first of all notice that turning a prop around does not reverse DIRECTION of thrust. i learned that some time back when this idiot tried to sell me a cw for my full size quicksilver ultralight. when trying to get my money back he said "just turn it around". yeah.. right... i got a bridge in brooklyn... (assuming still there after the tornado ).

when my rc props are on backwards the plane taxies normally but wont lift off.

Quote:
I am looking at the props on my U816 and ladybird. they are flat planes. no camber anywhere.
apparently your eyesight is worse than mine. i can clearly see the undercamber on all six types i have including the two you mention. this was immedialely obvious in photos from last weeks excellent review of the most popular micro quad props. again including udi and lb. i wish i could find that thread again.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:54 PM
Levittown PA 19057
Joined Aug 2006
435 Posts
mine are for all intents and purposes "flat"

I never said flip the props around I sent SWAP them around.

2 arms spin clockwise 2 arms spin counter clockwise. this is why the RIGHT prop needs to go on the RIGHT arm.

if you put both sets on opposing arms (swap the blacks with each other and swap the orange ones with each other) it will now thrust "DOWN" instead of "UP"

problem is the onboard gyro's can "tell" right side up from down so when I try to fly upside down the moment I give it throttle it goes to max power on 2 of the prop to try and "right" the inversion :-)

the props have a "warp" but not a "camber" ie an airfoil. at least mine do not. I think you are mistaking the "twise" (from root to tip) as camber.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 04:06 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,959 Posts
hard to "swap" on a plane that only has one prop. having tried many combinations with my diy v929/v939 hybrid (including the symmetric airfoils from my s107) i doubt the gyro has anything to do with it. i think if anything its due to wrong locations or, more likely, relative lack of thrust. those flight algorithms have very limited performance envelope. outside that instability reigns supreme.

and while the udi have less camber than the others it is apparent to me. it was one of the reasons udi underperformed in my tests:

Old Sep 10, 2012, 05:48 PM
Levittown PA 19057
Joined Aug 2006
435 Posts
oh its clear to me. when inverted two of the motors SCREAM and it immediately flipped over and bit me :-) its clear the computer can tell its upside down and its taking action to try and correct that. when I have it right side up all 4 motors spin evenly and it thrusts down on all 4.

either way these things have an "excess" of power and produce more than enough thrust to fly inverted if they could be programmed to do so.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 06:00 PM
RC beginner
New York
Joined Oct 2008
5,959 Posts
that doesnt make too much sense to me. following your own advice and swapping props to the other side has exactly the same effect as turning the board upside down. so it should be possible to test backwards props that way. less camber on the udi props may give them more backwards thrust than the others. the same thing that gives them less thrust than others in normal mode may help here but i still have doubts. only thing to do is try it myself. i do know the flat s107 props will not lift my quad.