HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2011, 07:47 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
Discussion
I fly Airtonics

I fly Airtronics Radios and have since Kraft Radios went out of business. I'd like to talk to other Airtonics Radio owners, any takers out there?
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2011, 09:20 AM
supreme being of leisure
Tel Aviv, Israel
Joined Jul 2004
2,093 Posts
our main hobby distributor over here has dealt exclusively with sanwa radios ever since i can remember. safe to say that the majority of active modelers here started out with sanwa. i bought my module-7SP from them back in the late '80s.
ZAGNUT is offline Find More Posts by ZAGNUT
Old Dec 03, 2011, 09:44 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,449 Posts
I use Airtronics Radios for many years. I still have a Infinity 600 and a couple of 6 channel Vangard systems too. I really like the Infinity 600, it was almost the first computer RC system around, I think the ACE Micropro 8000 beat it for the first title). But more recently I tended to gravitate more towards Futaba with their FAAST system for my more expensive planes. I now happen to have a rather varied assortment of different kinds of RC systems. Most all of my little parkflyers use inexpensive Chinese radio systems or a Spectrum system for the Parkzone micro planes.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Low Wing plane
Old Dec 03, 2011, 07:23 PM
Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia
Joined Mar 2008
515 Posts
Airtronics Radios

Still flying my Infinity 660 because I like the way it feels in my hands and it has never missed a beat.

I have an SD-10G as well. Great radio with more features than I could ever use.
fiery is offline Find More Posts by fiery
Old Dec 03, 2011, 08:21 PM
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Mar 2005
560 Posts
I just threw a bunch of my old Airtronics radio away. They were the vVG400 and VG600 if memory serves me. With every new plane I got, I'd buy a new radio for it. That was years ago of course. I got tired to taking all the radios to the field.....5 planes....five transmitters. So I started to set up all my planes the same, especially my combat planes. Then I could use more than one plane per transmitter. Then I happened upon the Polk's Hobby TrackerIII. I bought one and that was the of having to talk so many Txs to the field. Now I've switched to 2.4, Spektrum.

S
swede-rcgroups is offline Find More Posts by swede-rcgroups
Old Dec 03, 2011, 08:35 PM
United States, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Jan 2001
1,678 Posts
Well, I've been flying Airtronics since I switched from Kraft. I started with a Championship model, then the Module which was eventually upgraded with the ATRCS module. (Had two of those, still have one which gets used from time to time.) After that I went to the Stylus which also gets used from time to time, one on 2.4 and the other on Ch 24. Now I use an SD-10g which I really like.
georgeg is offline Find More Posts by georgeg
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2011, 10:17 PM
United States, CA, Santa Ana
Joined Jul 2010
424 Posts
My first Airtronics radios were the "Vanguard" 4 & 6 channels followed by the "Vision".
i still use my Visions today that i have converted to 2.4. got one of the first "RDS8000" 2.4 that i still use almost daily, and "SD-10G" that i am learning to use. recently came into a "Infinity" 600 that i have converted to 2.4.
interesting to take to the flying field a twenty eight year old 2m gnome with the right radio to fly it with.
harborflyer is offline Find More Posts by harborflyer
Old Dec 03, 2011, 10:26 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
My only Aitronics is an old SR400/AM (pre-1991) that I now uses for Sim duty, it was ok in its time but not worth converting to 2.4Ghz!
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Dec 04, 2011, 07:26 AM
USA, CA, Santee
Joined Jul 2002
284 Posts
Cliffie Weirick gave me my first Airtronics radio, I've been through Quantums, Infinities, Visions, Stylus' and now use an SD-10G
S3NFO is online now Find More Posts by S3NFO
Old Dec 04, 2011, 08:02 AM
no discrimination, I crash all
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Nov 2011
272 Posts
Just starting out in flying. Got the SD-5G , for the price it seems to be a great, easy to use computer 2.4, especially for a beginner. I had airtronics when I raced rc trucks. Never had a problem with the radio. Figured it would be the same with thier flight systems.
ncsky is offline Find More Posts by ncsky
Old Dec 04, 2011, 10:01 PM
United States, CO, Golden
Joined Aug 2011
431 Posts
I just switched from a DX6i to a SD-6G. Just a few flights flights, so far. Seems ok. My first couple flights had some glitches, I think I had one of the antennas too close to a servo. Right now, I am running both antennas on the underside of the fuselage, at 90 degrees to each other, and it seems to be ok. At this point, I just don't have a solid feel for the range on these newer 2.4Ghz radios compared to the older 72Mhz. All in all, though, the radio has more than enough functionality than I'll need for my electrics. If I bump up to some bigger aircraft later on, I'll probably upgrade to a higher class of radio, perhaps with telemetry.
Rifraf is offline Find More Posts by Rifraf
Old Dec 04, 2011, 11:10 PM
heli wrecker extrordinaire
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Nov 2004
184 Posts
Just got the sd10g, First airtronics i had were the vangaurd 6 model. good radios they never failed me. then i went with futaba for about 8 years and decided it was time for a new one. I am really liking the SD10. not bad to program and boy is there alot to play with!
Nute is offline Find More Posts by Nute
Old Dec 05, 2011, 03:50 PM
Joined Sep 2002
1,037 Posts
For quite a long time, Sanwa/Airtronics put a lot of effort into car radios and servos. In the end, Futaba and JR are hardly noticed around the tracks in some areas:

http://www.lrp.cc/en/news/news/race-...882aca7765f647

As Sanwa/Airtronics has given more attention to air radios recently, we might see the same thing happening around our airfields.

I think the SD10 brought Sanwa/Airtronics back on the radar screen but the next aircraft radios should get a lot of pilots into Airtronics.
Pippin is offline Find More Posts by Pippin
Last edited by Pippin; Dec 05, 2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old Dec 05, 2011, 08:27 PM
Joined Jan 2011
137 Posts
Anybody who can tell me what the Airtronics like compared with Futaba and Spectrum?
super2012 is offline Find More Posts by super2012
Old Dec 05, 2011, 10:18 PM
Joined Dec 2003
300 Posts
I have been using the SD10G for over a year with both FHSS1 and FHSS3 receivers.
The SD10G IMO is a Nice radio for the price and the only issue that I can think of
is that you may at times get a poor range check while using the FHSS1 receiver
however I not had any issue with range while flying.
ira d is offline Find More Posts by ira d