Old Jul 17, 2011, 01:29 AM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,075 Posts
Discussion
Video: Light wind aerobatics at Terranea

Terranea (3 min 51 sec)

I flew a small cliff/bowl near the Terranea resort in Palos Verdes, California. This is not a flying site per se, more just a look-out over the water. But with a 16.5oz Le Fish, and 8-10mph of wind straight in, I was able to practice all the casual "academic" aerobatics I felt like.

What I love about these light planes is the ability to fly full-on aerobatic sequences in almost no lift. I've never had a true aerobat that could fly so well in so little lift before. Stoked

P.S. - Originally I uploaded this as an 8 minute uncut version, but this is the trimmed down highlights only version

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2011, 03:56 AM
Ask me about VTPR
America
Joined Aug 2002
2,223 Posts
oldscooler is offline Find More Posts by oldscooler
Last edited by oldscooler; Aug 04, 2011 at 02:05 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:05 PM
USA, CA, San Pedro
Joined Oct 2009
30 Posts
Terranea

Steve,

Nice video. Every time I pass that spot, I think about trying to fly there. There is another spot about 1/4 mile North that has a much more complete bowl and more vertical walls. I am sure you would like it.
Guero is offline Find More Posts by Guero
Old Jul 18, 2011, 01:12 AM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,075 Posts
I'm sure there are a ton of places these things can fly. Just about anywhere you see a seagull or pelican able to cruise comfortably without any flapping, these things can be fully aerobatic. It's wild man!!

Steve
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 21, 2011, 02:10 AM
I do this for fun!
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Joined Sep 2004
1,193 Posts
Steve,

in the video how are you controlling the trailing edge of the wing?

I.E. do you have it on a stick, are you using a camber mix, or is it staying in one position?

Ken.
skyboyken is offline Find More Posts by skyboyken
Old Jul 21, 2011, 09:59 AM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,075 Posts
Read this: 4 Axis Slope Aerobatics

I have always-on snapflap mixing which mixes either camber or reflex to elevator movement.

In addition I can control camber/reflex directly via my throttle stick, which has had a spring installed to return it to center.

Normally I just use the snapflap but as needed (and described above) I use the trailing edge control to help facilitate various maneuvers, often to override the snapflaps and make the wing easier to stall / keep stalled.

Steve
RCG Plus Member