HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 26, 2004, 06:11 PM
Let the good times roll
Southern California
Joined Jun 2004
260 Posts
Wattage Cap?

Has anyone had any experience with this plane at all? My only electric experience is with a 350c 3d plane. How big of a lipo would i have to use for it with the 400 motor? Thanks a lot for the input.
TheCrow is offline Find More Posts by TheCrow
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2004, 09:49 PM
Giddy up!
Woodridge, Illinois
Joined May 2000
4,478 Posts
I had a Wattage Cap a while ago, very nice quality arf but as most of the Wattage planes go it's heavy. The stock motor was terrible for me and most here would probably second that. If you want this plane to fly well use a brushless motor (Mega, Axi, or others) and lipo's...
Sal C is offline Find More Posts by Sal C
Old Sep 26, 2004, 10:33 PM
Ontario Int, California, United States
Joined Feb 2001
628 Posts
I agree with Sal- first class workmanship with attention to detail- pretty stable too but the cobalt motor supplied just too amp hungry that you need to use wattage's suggested 7 cell 1300 nicads- the 8 cell would have been better but the weight penalty... mine actually smoked and was almost on fire as it crashes- used the wrong ESC- IC 15. brushless combo/lipo batt. is the only way to go!
tnsfrk is offline Find More Posts by tnsfrk
Old Oct 01, 2004, 10:36 PM
Let the good times roll
Southern California
Joined Jun 2004
260 Posts
Alright i dont have the money for a brushless but i do have a lipo i can put in it. My question is if this plane can be hand launched. Also, how should i take off if i do on the pavement. Should i gun it and go or increase throttle slowly. Thanks a lot for the help. Just bought this thing today and am putting it together right now.
Old Oct 01, 2004, 11:55 PM
Scott Stoops
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2002
8,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrow
Alright i dont have the money for a brushless but i do have a lipo i can put in it. My question is if this plane can be hand launched. Also, how should i take off if i do on the pavement. Should i gun it and go or increase throttle slowly. Thanks a lot for the help. Just bought this thing today and am putting it together right now.
I would advise against a handlaunch. A slow and smooth throttle application is best during takeoff. This will give you time to counter with the appropriate rudder input for directional control. What is your experience level?

Scott
sukhoi26mx is offline Find More Posts by sukhoi26mx
Old Oct 02, 2004, 03:42 AM
Let the good times roll
Southern California
Joined Jun 2004
260 Posts
Right now ive been flying a foam 3d plane with a 350 motor in it. Wings started bowing so i started looking for another plane that was balsa with more speed. About this time i tried doing an easy low pass about a foot off the ground and a gust of wind threw the little foam plane into the ground....Fixable, but not worth it. Ive got enough epoxy on that plane already. I got decent with the 3d plan, could hover decently, most aerobatic tricks. But i could only hand launch this plane. The only exp. with taking off is with my buddies slowstick whom im teaching to fly. I still take it off and land for him. When i do take it off i have to gun it before it starts to track off to one side. So i was just wondering if thats how i should launch the cap. Thanks a lot for the help though.
Old Oct 03, 2004, 12:21 AM
Let the good times roll
Southern California
Joined Jun 2004
260 Posts
Alright, i was breaking in the motor today and got to the part where you use the flight battery. Which was my 2 cell 1500mah lipo. I still have the stock 400 motor. Everything was fine until i went full throttle. All of a sudden the motor would just cut out and wouldnt start again until i went to no throttle. Is my battery too small? Which one should i use then? Thanks for all the help.
Old Oct 03, 2004, 03:28 AM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
Unless you are using 8C Lipolies, your battery is probably to small.

IIRC the stock motor on that thing is more like a 480 cobalt than a 400. You could be drawing 12-14 amps, depending on which prop you are using.

I found the plane was just not a good flyer with the stock motor setup. Maybe with different gearing for a bigger prop Might make it satisfactory, but it's barely a sport flyer stock.

As far as taking off, it is probably not the plane to learn ground handling for taildragers on. It's fast and snappy because of it's fat. If you really want to do it right, practice driving it around on a big runway for at least a couple packs before commiting to taking off. That'll help give you an idea of what torque effects to be ready for during takeoff.
lrsudog is offline Find More Posts by lrsudog
Old Oct 03, 2004, 06:38 PM
the correct 51%
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Apr 2002
89 Posts
stock cobalt set-up draws 25 to 30 amps on 8 cells so i would guess that low voltage cut off is in effect..

Ron
RocketRonbo is offline Find More Posts by RocketRonbo
Old Oct 03, 2004, 06:44 PM
Scott Stoops
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2002
8,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrow
Alright, i was breaking in the motor today and got to the part where you use the flight battery. Which was my 2 cell 1500mah lipo. I still have the stock 400 motor. Everything was fine until i went full throttle. All of a sudden the motor would just cut out and wouldnt start again until i went to no throttle. Is my battery too small? Which one should i use then? Thanks for all the help.
Wrong battery entirely. I would recommend a gen 2 TP 2100 pack or 3s 2200 tanics.

FWIW, this model is going to be pretty fast. Not a really good model to "learn" takeoffs. Not 3D either...

Scott
sukhoi26mx is offline Find More Posts by sukhoi26mx
Old Oct 03, 2004, 08:39 PM
Let the good times roll
Southern California
Joined Jun 2004
260 Posts
Well i bought a new batt today from the local shop and it works great. ive been driving it around the street (not busy of course) to get used to the rudder controls on the ground. I will take it to the runway which is smoother in a little bit and get used to that. Thanks for the help.
Old Oct 03, 2004, 09:15 PM
Anything to do with RC
San Diego Gillespie Field, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
272 Posts
Here is my wattage cap with the BL and Lipo, video clip of the takeoff
http://rcgroups.com/gallery/showphot...cat=500&page=1
3D4ever is offline Find More Posts by 3D4ever
Old Oct 03, 2004, 09:41 PM
Let the good times roll
Southern California
Joined Jun 2004
260 Posts
Man you must have the greatest flying place ever. Your plane hauls. So is BL brushless? thanks for the great video clip.
Old Oct 06, 2004, 11:39 PM
Let the good times roll
Southern California
Joined Jun 2004
260 Posts
Hey guys. I've been taxiing the plane around for a while waiting for this weekend so i can actually fly it. The football kids are all over the place at the school i fly at so im limited to the ground during the week. Everythings going alright and im really getting used to the torque of the motor on the ground. Thanks for all the help. My question now is what do you guys do to access the battery compartment? Right now im using the two screws to hold the flap cover on but i was wondering if theres a latch i could purchase to make things a lot quicker. Thanks again for the help.
Old Oct 07, 2004, 08:15 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
On my Cap I use two cut off servo arms as latches, they are screwed to the fuse just behind the battery hatch and pivot to open or close the hatch. Works great.
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase