HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:57 PM
United States, RI, Cranston
Joined Feb 2012
5 Posts
Discussion
Glasflugel and vintage 2 channel sailplanes

Hi guys,
After getting back into this hobby after a 35 year absence, I find myself overwhelmed by its complexity.
I have fond memories of flying my Mark's Windfree(made LSF level l with it); Soarcraft Diamant and Libelle and my trusty Astroflite ASW-15 (which I've since dusted off and taken to the field). Things certainly have changed, I know, but, thus far, I have spent more money and still can't seem to get the buzz I got during those simpler times.
Call me silly and out of date, but I'm still trying to find my way back into this hobby that I once loved.
In an effort to recapture my youth, I picked up a Soarcraft Glasflugel 604 this week and am in the process of getting it airworthy on 2 channels. Any advice for an aging modeller who's lost his way?
bob busch is offline Find More Posts by bob busch
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:44 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,871 Posts
" To a young man contemplating a journey I say go" First man to sail around the world alone.Joshua Slocum.1899.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:33 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Aug 2005
98 Posts
Welcome back to the hobby Bob and stay the course!

Gary
Thermalator is offline Find More Posts by Thermalator
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:14 AM
Joined Feb 2012
5 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement.....this is still very much a work in progress
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:05 AM
Where's the lift?
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined Mar 2001
2,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob busch View Post
Hi guys,
After getting back into this hobby after a 35 year absence, I find myself overwhelmed by its complexity.
Any advice for an aging modeller who's lost his way?
Bob,

I have learned over the years that everyone has to find their own niche in this hobby. The secret to lasting enjoyment is to follow your passion, not the next guy's. I finally settled on vintage woodies as that part of this hobby that turns me on the most, and I don't apologize for it for a minute. Some guys will tell me I should "get a REAL model", with all the gizmos and gadgets, but I find that what gets me off is dope and fabric and wings that rumble when I roll out on landing.

I think models like your Soarcraft Libelle and Diamant and ASW15 are real treasures. I have an old Astro Flight ASW17, and it is a beautiful ship and a joy to fly. Don't worry about all the complexity and sophistication in today's modern glassies-- let some other guy fuss with that stuff if it doesn't sing your song.

And put up some pics of that Soarcraft Glasflugel when you get it done! I'll be a fan, I'm sure! (It might even inspire me to get my Windspiel Cobra 17 kit built and flying!)
dgliderguy is online now Find More Posts by dgliderguy
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:44 AM
aejr sucks little black ones
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prodjx View Post
" To a young man contemplating a journey I say go" First man to sail around the world alone.Joshua Slocum.1899.
That's kind of a classic post! - good book too, Slocum who never surfaced.

Bob.,do you know what you have done? the unlimited opportunity of good advice and BS you have opened up here?
About the only real helpful advice I could humbly give is not to take much of the 'advice' you recieve on the internet groups to seriously. Here, like anywhere else we have career informers who it seems at times do little else than promote themselves even when out of their own personal experience and league. Then again, we have truly good and experienced members who know when it is the right time to chip in. You will see them in turn, it all has its value.

Keep it all as simple as practically possible, any good programable 6-7 channel radio is a good place to start and gives a little flexibilty, choose whatever of the popular brand appeals to you, FM or 2.4GHz, It'll all work out. Watch out for the members who will tell you 'you must/should do this' or 'you should/must do that'. They are full of crap.

All the best.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:42 AM
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,778 Posts
OK. good advice, all the radios work great, do a range check after install, find a safe place to fly, enjoy flying again, and fly whatever you want.
s2000 is offline Find More Posts by s2000
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:51 AM
Bradford West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Apr 2010
1,709 Posts
Managed for fifty years on two channel, Rudder/Elevator or Ailingrons /evilator.

Anything more than two channels is just gluttony.

K I S S

Regards Ian.
Circlip is offline Find More Posts by Circlip
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:00 PM
Joined Feb 2012
5 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement.
It's a real comfort to know that there are modellers out there that share my feelings.
Bob
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:12 AM
mosquito303
Kansas
Joined Dec 2004
187 Posts
Keep us advised on the Glasflugels. I have a 303, had a 201, park near a 604 and sure would like to have a model of each. I especially would like to see a 303 model with a scale flap/spoiler mechanism.
mosquito303 is offline Find More Posts by mosquito303