HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:02 AM
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Aug 2012
1,089 Posts
Question
RF6 Spacewalker ballooning

In Real Flight 6 my spacewalker gains altitude a lot when the throttle is decreased. That makes no sense to me. What would make a plane do that?

This may not be a simulator issue. But, seemed the best place to ask it.
jwellsy is offline Find More Posts by jwellsy
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:31 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
I'm no physics ace, but your line of thrust can affect that. So can CG location.
jeffpn is offline Find More Posts by jeffpn
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:05 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,089 Posts
I found the aicraft data sheet that showed the thrust angle to be at .4 . I set that to zero and the plane started flying fine.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:10 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
Which data sheet? The full size piloted plane, or the RC model? That data is really not 100% transferable from one to the other.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:59 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,089 Posts
It's in RF6\Aircraft menu option\Edit Spacewalker\Airframe\Fuselage\Engine and is actually called Down Thrust (deg). I set that to zero and it stopped balooning up at low throttle.

I think it had too much down thrust. At WOT the thrust held the nose down, at lower speeds the center of lift over powered the down force and up it would go.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:41 PM
Administrator
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Nov 1998
5,425 Posts
I can't remember offhand if that plane has flaps but if it does make sure they are retracted all the way. That could be the cause.

Jim
jbourke is offline Find More Posts by jbourke
Administrator
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:56 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
It's in RF6\Aircraft menu option\Edit Spacewalker\Airframe\Fuselage\Engine and is actually called Down Thrust (deg). I set that to zero and it stopped balooning up at low throttle.

I think it had too much down thrust. At WOT the thrust held the nose down, at lower speeds the center of lift over powered the down force and up it would go.
That's the editor. I'm sorry, I've never heard it referred to as a 'Data sheet.' Not a bad name, though.

There are no flaps to that model. It is definitely ballooning or porpoising. That is a problem in the stock physics.