HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 29, 2012, 11:04 AM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Jan 2005
129 Posts
Discussion
FMS ASW28 vs ST-Models ASW28 - Comparisons

Just wondering which plane is better when comparing the FMS vs the St-Models ASW28 electric sailplanes with regard to flight characteristics, fit and finish, etc. I have the ST-Models plane and I think out of the box it really requires mods to improve it since the ailerons were too flimsy and unresponsive, wingtips and wings needed reinforcing, etc. Is the FMS any better as is without mods?
Riodiler1 is offline Find More Posts by Riodiler1
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2012, 12:24 PM
ronht
Joined Sep 2009
415 Posts
Sorry I haven't seen the ST-Models ASW 28, however, I do have the FMS ASW 28 and the only thing I have done is balance it for a 2200 mah 3 S battery and balance it latterally (took one coin the size of a quarter)

I've had several thermalling flights over 40 mins and 3 over an hour long. It's a great flying sailplane and climbs in the slightest amount of lift. My biggest problem has been getting it back down. I almost lost it one day when it was so high I almost lost orientation with it.

It's got the attention of several guys at the field (all Radian owners) when I've flown it and I've been told some of them have placed orders for the FMS version since seeing mine fly.

All-in-all it's a great sailplane and I would hightly recommend it to anyone.
ronht is offline Find More Posts by ronht
Old May 29, 2012, 05:09 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,831 Posts
I just had a chance to examine an FMS up close and I have an ST. The overall fit, finish, and quality does seem better on the FMS. It is also significantly heavier without a whole lot more wing area. While I did not get a chance to fly the FMS I would guess that it might give up a bit of performance in very light lift compared to the ST. It is also into a size and weight range where I really like flaps or spoilers for landing.
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Jun 27, 2012, 08:47 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,688 Posts
I have st asw28 and my mate has fms one from yesterday, fms definitely seems heavy and came down pretty fast but this maybe cause it seemed nose heavy and needed a lot of up elev and his brake was not on so prop was free wheeling, should be sorted next time out so will compare flights properly.
Finish on fms seems nicer and more complete but st one is a good flyer and looks good anyway and in air cant tell the diference.
The main problem I had with st one was all servos had to be replaced and controls are not very responsive but over all it's favourite glider apart from my dlg blaster!
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Jun 27, 2012, 02:23 PM
Joined Jan 2005
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelsheffield View Post
I have st asw28 and my mate has fms one from yesterday, fms definitely seems heavy and came down pretty fast but this maybe cause it seemed nose heavy and needed a lot of up elev and his brake was not on so prop was free wheeling, should be sorted next time out so will compare flights properly.
Finish on fms seems nicer and more complete but st one is a good flyer and looks good anyway and in air cant tell the diference.
The main problem I had with st one was all servos had to be replaced and controls are not very responsive but over all it's favourite glider apart from my dlg blaster!
Thanks....looking forward to hearing how the FMS performed in better conditions and without the prop freewheeling.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 04:32 PM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,688 Posts
Been down with both this evening and winds were very calm so a good test to compare.
The st one is without doubt a much better flyer, it flies better because it is MUCH lighter for only 30cm less wingspan, not sure what the weight of fms one is but st is 550grams or less depends on battery all up.
My mate is quite dissapointed with his fms one and is thinking of selling it already after 6 flights total, it needs to fly fast and though has plenty of power to climb fast it just comes down too quick due to its weight.
It could be that it needs more trimming out and cog changing some more but for my money I would go for the st models asw28, I have had mine for about 3 years and still really like it, it's cheaper it only uses 2 cell 1000mah lipos and flights are 20mins upwards( i've had 1hour and 10 mins once in good thermaling) and it does thermal very well, its also aerobatic does good loops, rolls are posible but are very slow so you need lots of height/speed and good use of controls to perform a nice one.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 06:04 PM
Joined Jan 2005
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelsheffield View Post
Been down with both this evening and winds were very calm so a good test to compare.
The st one is without doubt a much better flyer, it flies better because it is MUCH lighter for only 30cm less wingspan, not sure what the weight of fms one is but st is 550grams or less depends on battery all up.
My mate is quite dissapointed with his fms one and is thinking of selling it already after 6 flights total, it needs to fly fast and though has plenty of power to climb fast it just comes down too quick due to its weight.
It could be that it needs more trimming out and cog changing some more but for my money I would go for the st models asw28, I have had mine for about 3 years and still really like it, it's cheaper it only uses 2 cell 1000mah lipos and flights are 20mins upwards( i've had 1hour and 10 mins once in good thermaling) and it does thermal very well, its also aerobatic does good loops, rolls are posible but are very slow so you need lots of height/speed and good use of controls to perform a nice one.
Thanks very much for your review! I will not be buying a FMS afterall and I am now having a great time flying the ST version since fiberglassing the bottoms of the ailerons which are much more responsive now
Old Jun 27, 2012, 06:13 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,831 Posts
Quote:
I am now having a great time flying the ST version since fiberglassing the bottoms of the ailerons which are much more responsive now
I'm glad to hear that you're getting the ASW dialed in. It really is a fine airframe and it's worth tweaking.
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Jun 28, 2012, 03:03 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,688 Posts
I've not tweeked mine at all yet cause I was doing the duration contest unmodded but that seems to have pretty much finished now so I might play about a bit, I was thinking of moving aileron servos out into to wing and maybe making some balsa airlerons but I might try just glassing them 1st to see how that goes.
As I said I like my blaster more now as that is amazing how well it floats but at 280 plus servos etc it a diferent thing altogether, plus when my back is bad and I cant throw it the asw28 is a great fallback, and VERY relaxing on a nice calm day, I often end up laying down flying the thing lol.