Old Jul 31, 2014, 05:34 AM
Inanity-Free Zone
Delaware
Joined Jan 2006
552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by byter182 View Post
Hi RCMC,

I've managed to recover most of the pieces of the crash but don't believe I have all of them. I don't think I have the wing rib piece and/or leading edge but I believe I can replicate it using the other undamaged portions of the wing as a guide. The leading edge is just leading edge balsa stock which I should be able to pickup from LHS. I see you did some turtle deck work on the repair job just above this one. Great work. Wish I was a little closer to your state. I'm in Florida. May be a bit of a hike. I've done some repair jobs on older planks before but none quite as extensive as this. Should be fun. Originally was thinking of replacing the whole left wing w/new one, but after shipping the cost is almost half the price of the whole kit. So I'll lay this thing out on the workbench and start dremeling away.

Btw... Would you know where I can pick up some CF wing tubing for a good price? How about covering. How are you able to match the monokote exactly?

Thanks,
Byter182
byter182,

It sounds like you have the skills to make the repair so good luck and keep us posted with pictures and text if you can. If you need to talk I can be available by phone. PM me and I will give you my cell number. Sometimes it is good to have someone to trade ideas with.

Finding carbon fiber tubing the right size you need might be a task but I didn't notice any tubing damage to your plane. If your main wing tube is broken you will have to go back to the manufacturer/distributer for that.

Covering might be a problem too. We need to find out from the manufacturer/distributer what product they are using. What brand of plane is it? Many of the plane companies use "China Cote" that you will not be able to match easily. However, many of the companies are using UltraCote that is available from Horizon Hobby here in the states. I have most of the their colors in my shop that I use for repairs. You could send me some small pieces and I could match them for you. Here again, send me a PM an I will give you me mailing address.

RCMC
RCMC is offline Find More Posts by RCMC
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2014, 06:19 PM
Joined Feb 2009
39 Posts
I may take you up on that. I did contact General Hobby asking what covering was used on that plane. He surprisingly replied pretty quickly stating that it was Ultracote but did not have any to sell. Said he would get back to me to give me the color codes. That was on Monday. Have not heard anything since then. So I may take you up on that offer to send you some samples to see if you can match it up.

I did split the CF wing tube at the point where it protruded out of the fuse. There's a PIC above of the broken piece that I pulled out of the wing. Managed to find a seller on fleabay w/similar diameter and length and willing to ship at a reasonable price. General Hobby wanted to get me for $19.95 + $13.53 shipping for one wing tube. Ridiculous.
byter182 is offline Find More Posts by byter182
Old Aug 01, 2014, 06:43 AM
Inanity-Free Zone
Delaware
Joined Jan 2006
552 Posts
byter182,

Nothing wrong with saving a few dollars on the wing tube; just remember that the wing tube must be an exact fit. Close isn't good enough.

RCMC
Old Aug 02, 2014, 02:57 PM
Joined Feb 2009
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMC View Post
byter182,

Nothing wrong with saving a few dollars on the wing tube; just remember that the wing tube must be an exact fit. Close isn't good enough.

RCMC
Yeah I know. I am a little worried that I may be off on my measurement by a few millimeters. But I measured and remeasured the wingtube using a straight edge and calipers and came up with 15mm x 13mm x 550mm. So I ordered this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/15mm-13mm-55...item1e8f69c859. Hopefully it's the right size and type of carbon fiber.

BTW I sent you a PM.
Old Aug 02, 2014, 09:17 PM
United States, DE, Wilmington
Joined Apr 2010
100 Posts
Goodwinds Carbon Tubes . not sure if this will be helpful but just wanted to offer this website that sells lots of carbon fiber and fiber glass rods and tubes

https://goodwinds.com/carbon/pultruded-tubes.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by byter182 View Post
Yeah I know. I am a little worried that I may be off on my measurement by a few millimeters. But I measured and remeasured the wingtube using a straight edge and calipers and came up with 15mm x 13mm x 550mm. So I ordered this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/15mm-13mm-55...item1e8f69c859. Hopefully it's the right size and type of carbon fiber.

BTW I sent you a PM.
coa106 is offline Find More Posts by coa106
Old Aug 03, 2014, 01:34 AM
Joined Feb 2009
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coa106 View Post
Goodwinds Carbon Tubes . not sure if this will be helpful but just wanted to offer this website that sells lots of carbon fiber and fiber glass rods and tubes

https://goodwinds.com/carbon/pultruded-tubes.html
That's an awesome website. Good prices too. Not sure if those OD's would've been an exact match to my wing tube as the one on my Sbach is measured in millimeters. But I'm sure I'll have some future use for that site. Thanks for the link.

Would you happen to know where I can pick up a wing tube holder? You know. The part that goes in the fuselage. Mine got a little shredded around the edges during the crash and then after trying to remove all the glue. Still usable but would prefer a new one. It's made out of some kind of pliable plastic. Almost like a straw. Plan on going to Home Depot tomorrow see what I can find. Here's a PIC.
Old Aug 03, 2014, 05:31 AM
Inanity-Free Zone
Delaware
Joined Jan 2006
552 Posts
byter182,

We need to make sure we are all on the same page with the replacement of the wing tube and the sleeve that goes in the plane's fuse. Since they were made in China they were probably made with metric measurments and parts made to English Units will not cross match.

The fuse sleeve is made to fit perfectly in the laser cut wood holes and rings in the fuse and the wing tube most be a very snug fit in the fuse sleeve and wing panel sleeves. The length of the wing tube is important too, it must not be able to slide back and forth in flight.

I would not order these parts from any source unless I was assured that they were available in metric dimensions. You may have to purchase them from the original manufacturer/supplier.

RCMC
Old Aug 03, 2014, 03:25 PM
Joined Feb 2009
39 Posts
Yeah I know RCMC. The ebay seller I got the carbon fiber wing tube from stated their measurements in millimeters (15 x 13 x 550mm). So I'm taking a gamble that those are the actual sizes. We'll see when it arrives. As far as the Wing Tube Sleeve, I'm may just reuse the one I already have or if I feel a little more froggy I may just make my own. Richard at General Hobby where I got my kit from does have the wing tubes but does not have the wing tube sleeves. However, I will only purchase spare parts from Richard if I'm backed up against a corner.
Old Aug 03, 2014, 03:38 PM
Joined Feb 2009
39 Posts
RCMC,

I need to make 2 circular holes on a piece of plywood I'll be using to re-enforce the fuselage side that supports the wing tube sleeve. I'm afraid to make the hole for fear that it may not properly align w/the original location of the holes where the wing tube and wing mounting screw enters. Not sure if I should make the holes on the plywood piece first and then glue the ply to the fuse or should I glue the ply to the fuse first and then make the holes. I've never had luck getting drill holes perfectly centered when trying to match to another hole. Do you have any ideas?

Thanks
Old Aug 03, 2014, 06:34 PM
Inanity-Free Zone
Delaware
Joined Jan 2006
552 Posts
Byter182,

We need to talk, there is too much to type.

RCMC
Old Aug 23, 2014, 06:07 PM
Joined Feb 2009
39 Posts
Skyline Sbach 342 60" Fuselage Repair

On a clear, windless and sunny day, my Sbach 342 hugged a construction site marker pole with the left wing after only 4 short trim flights. Ripped the left wing clean off the left side of the fuselage. The entire left side of the fuselage wall all along the left wing attachment points suffered damage.

It was a painful shock to see it go down so suddenly as only a week before I had just completed the build and was so excited to maiden the little bird. Couldn't wait until the next weekend when I get to fly my new build over again. Unfortunately, it turned out to be the last flight for over a month.

On initial visual scan, damage looked so bad that my first thought was to trash the frame and build a new ARF.
  • Huge lunar shaped chunk of comminuted balsa ripped out of the wing's leading edge. Looked like Jaws took a bite out of it.
  • Splintered left wing counter-balance.
  • Wing Tube sheared at where it enters fuselage.
  • Cracked and split fuselage formers and spars.
  • Cracked servo/receiver tray.
  • Cracked fuselage walls.
  • Cracked wing tube sleeve plywood supports (both left and right sides).
And then of course there's the covering all ripped apart and left wondering how the heck am I gonna match this. After about an 30-45 minutes of staring at the damage, I thought I may have a plan of attack but still a little apprehensive about going forward.

Spoke to RCMC, the originator of this thread and that furthur gave me confidence to proceed w/the repair. He gave me a clear path to take especially w/the proper alignment of the wing tube sleeve by creating a sort of jig. With a little closer scrutiny, the damage suddenly didn't look as daunting as it initially appeared. From start to finish, it took about 5 weeks to complete the repair. See Pg 22/Post #327 for some PICS of the damaged fuselage.

This repair job will be separated into two parts - Fuselage Repair and Left Wing Repair. Well let's get right into it. I will continue to add PICS of my repair as time allows.
Last edited by byter182; Aug 24, 2014 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Addiing PICS
Old Aug 24, 2014, 01:31 AM
Joined Feb 2009
39 Posts
With the servo tray segments complete, my next big challenge involved the repair of the fuselage sides where the wing tube sleeve attaches. Both sides suffered damage the brunt of it being on the left side. Initially couldn't decide whether to cut out both sides completely or re-enforce w/splints. Decided to splint the right side and then remove the left and start w/a clean slate. Since the left side had suffered so much damage, I didn't feel comfortable simply splinting and chance it ripping apart during a hard maneuver (not saying I know any).

Started the job by carefully pulling the loose pieces off.
Last edited by byter182; Aug 25, 2014 at 12:52 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 12:03 PM
Inanity-Free Zone
Delaware
Joined Jan 2006
552 Posts
byter182.

Did you ever fly your repaired plane?

RCMC
Old Oct 05, 2014, 11:51 PM
wrecklessly misspeling stuff..
United States, CA, Citrus Heights
Joined Feb 2009
1,028 Posts
RCMC, I'm in need of help. I had a collision in the air today with my 3DH 57" SC and a foam board plane today. Ripping the left ele half off and knocking the horizontal stab loose. I was able to get it down without further damage. but the left side of the fuse at the hori. stab. saddle and saddle were also ripped loose. I have all the pieces but I wouldn't want to reuse them..
After writing this out it occurred to me that I might be able to use the pieces to make a template for some new wood.
If there is a better way please advise. Ive repaired 57" SCs many times before, but its usually a smashed front end of the fuse or snapped in the mid fuse area.

Damn foam board plane sustained no damage but a scratch.

I will post pics if needed.
tuck is offline Find More Posts by tuck
Old Oct 06, 2014, 12:49 AM
Inanity-Free Zone
Delaware
Joined Jan 2006
552 Posts
tuck,

Pictures would be the best way for me to see the damage and comment. I will send you my e-mail address via PM; it is usually easier to attach pictures to an e-mail.

RCMC