HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 19, 2013, 06:37 PM
Need a bigger runway
Dominican Republic, Puerto Plata, Cabarete
Joined Mar 2008
248 Posts
Thanks epoxyearl,
I remember the doublers being used for added strength near the struts for the GP Bi-plane I built and assume that these are for where the aileron servos should be. What am getting confused about...is that there are 2 distinct looking pieces which are both labelled as W1A and the photos from the manual are not helping. This one is definitely being built on 'Caribbean' time..... 6 months in and I am only on pg 9 !
sandydr is offline Find More Posts by sandydr
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2013, 06:41 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,888 Posts
Look for the part(s) on the plan, not the manual. It may give you a different perspective on the problem.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Aug 19, 2013, 07:07 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
9,161 Posts
Obeying Tom's commands, I looked at what part of the plans you showed...Those doublers appear to be the receivers for the wing tube..You should not have to cut or shape any doubler parts, if they are die-cut-only light sanding is required..

If you'll take the wing tube and stand it vertically in the rib, while the rib is flat on the surface, those doublers fit around it to lock it in place..

Momentarily forget the markings, and assemble parts that look like the pictures....that's the bottom line... Don't glue anything until you're positive you have the right parts in the correct place.

You'll figure it out soon.
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wheeling and dealing..
Old Aug 19, 2013, 10:18 PM
Need a bigger runway
Joined Mar 2008
248 Posts
Tom/Earl,
Appreciate the tips. I can see how the ribs fit around the wing tube, I just can't seem to see any U shaped doublers in the box. Will give it a look with a fresh pair of eyes in the morning. All the best, Sandy
Old Aug 20, 2013, 06:58 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
9,161 Posts
missing parts.

I can cut the missing parts for you. I'll need you to send a copy of the outline of the parts from the plans. I have lots of balsa and plywood.

Let me know if you can't find them in the kit.
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wheeling and dealing..
Old Aug 20, 2013, 12:57 PM
Need a bigger runway
Joined Mar 2008
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl View Post
I can cut the missing parts for you. I'll need you to send a copy of the outline of the parts from the plans. I have lots of balsa and plywood.

Let me know if you can't find them in the kit.
That's really kind of you and the offer is really appreciated. I have some balsa here and ply, so worst case I should be able to cut it myself. Getting sidetracked today with installing some flaps on a foamy....anything to avoid going through the box again! All the best, Sandy
Old Dec 31, 2013, 06:51 PM
Keep calm and carry on.
United States, VA, Falls Church
Joined Jan 2012
1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandydr View Post
Tom/Earl,
Appreciate the tips. I can see how the ribs fit around the wing tube, I just can't seem to see any U shaped doublers in the box. Will give it a look with a fresh pair of eyes in the morning. All the best, Sandy
Sandy, i just got done with one wing.

Those two parts do go on the wing, they are the ribs that go on the leading edge of the wing at the root, where the wing mounting dowel will inserted. Does that make sense?
Oso M is offline Find More Posts by Oso M
Old Jan 01, 2014, 09:23 PM
Need a bigger runway
Joined Mar 2008
248 Posts
Thanks Oso,
Managed to move on from there a while back. I have finished the construction and started covering, but had to down tools for a vacation Hopefully should have everything done in the next 2 weeks.
Regards, Sandy
Last edited by sandydr; Jan 01, 2014 at 10:40 PM.