HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:51 PM
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
2,397 Posts
Has it been determined what is the best yet cheapest aftermarket landing gear?
Garry K.
garryk is offline Find More Posts by garryk
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:12 AM
Yeah, I can fly...
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Jun 2005
2,622 Posts
I'm taking mine out for another flight tomorrow. I got a set of China Hobby Line 5000mah 50c packs I had put the Lander light control and afterburners in mine. They worked fine until tonight. Only a few of my lights work now and the AB's don't light up at all I think something burnt out on it.
I also added a short thrust tube on each side right at the exhaust. I don't use the TV so I glued the nozzles straight to the airframe. There was a big gap that probably caused some turbulence and reduced thrust. The tubes should alleviate that

I went through a big chunk of the thread today looking for good pics of the gear doors. I'm pulling my hair out looking at the manual to see how the string works. I'm not using stock retracts, upgraded to E-flite 15-25. They just go straight up/down but clear for the doors to close flush.

If anyone can tell me a post number or post some better pics and explanation I would appreciate it. I'm pretty crafty usually so I might just be tired and need to take another crack at it tomorrow.
wyldkrd is offline Find More Posts by wyldkrd
Old Feb 23, 2013, 01:44 AM
Corsair Captain
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2010
2,397 Posts
If you're at the field tomorrow, I'll show you how they work.
Garry K.
garryk is offline Find More Posts by garryk
Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:29 AM
So many planes, So little time
United States, OR, North Plains
Joined Jul 2010
244 Posts
Strings for doors

My gear doors were a journey, I was going to use a gear door sequencer on the plane. After I had it all set up the servo's didn't have enough throw, so I went to the strings.
Name: overview.jpg
Views: 107
Size: 131.7 KB
Description:
I used three spring pin hinges each side/the middle one was binding so I cut it loose

Name: hinge cut.jpg
Views: 112
Size: 120.8 KB
Description: cut out middle hinge because it was binding
single spring hinge with foam wedge to help open doors.
I did this with all the doors to help keep them open.
Name: extra spring hinge.jpg
Views: 106
Size: 141.4 KB
Description: extra spring hinge glued to door,slides up and down the plywood block
Okay here it is just get the anchor below where the door fits in there.
Name: overview string anchor.jpg
Views: 107
Size: 152.8 KB
Description: Anchor is just below where the door fits in the opening
I made a little hole with a hot wire/and hot glued it in there
Xflyfun is offline Find More Posts by Xflyfun
Old Feb 23, 2013, 04:03 PM
Yeah, I can fly...
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Jun 2005
2,622 Posts
Thanks for the pics. Had two good flights today. Hit LVC on 1st landing but was not an issue. 2nd Flt was with the new 5000's. Only issue was nose gear screw came loose so had to walk it back to the pits. Used flaps on 2nd landing also. Really liking it and hope to get the gear doors on and the lights sorted out.
wyldkrd is offline Find More Posts by wyldkrd
Old Mar 06, 2013, 12:42 PM
United States, MI, Royal Oak
Joined Nov 2005
1,384 Posts
Alright guys, I know that this thread is not quite as active as it used to be, but I have a few questions to the pilots out there flying this model. Ive read about 2/3 of this thread so far.

Im wracking my brains out deciding between this model and the Freewing SU35. I need your advice on something. If I did decide to go with the ARF Mig-29 model, I would be changing out the stock esc's to two Turnigy plush 80amp with separate BEC (I already have these). I know that the stock LG is not the best in the world as well so I would probably be putting in the Eflite 15-25 or the RcLander gear for this plane. As well as adding carbon rod sleeves to the control rods. Id be eliminating the pilot eject and drag shoot....possibly even the TV (not sure yet on this one....maybe adding a few screws to just hold them in place for now).

I am not looking for a speed demon, not looking for amazing 3D or unlimited vertical either.....just a nice jet with a good presence in the air.....something that cruises nicely and floats in for landings. Do you think the ARF would be alright with the simple mods that I listed above? Thank you for input you guys can give me.
JGuilty13 is offline Find More Posts by JGuilty13
Old Mar 06, 2013, 01:13 PM
United States, MD, Clinton
Joined Oct 2010
1,002 Posts
No doubt this would be an easy one. This video is of the mig all stock everything that I decided to throw a 6s 3500 in which is why the flight was so short. This plane amazed me at how easy it would lift off and land. I am currently building a more modified version with 7s, 12 blade cs and cc 100 Ice esc's but that is something else.

mig2ndflight (2 min 23 sec)
houstonderk is offline Find More Posts by houstonderk
Old Mar 06, 2013, 03:25 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,384 Posts
Great video houston, how many flights have you gotten out of your stock Mig so far? And shes holding up well?
Old Mar 06, 2013, 04:02 PM
Munich
Joined Dec 2008
1,174 Posts
Hi there,
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGuilty13 View Post
Im wracking my brains out deciding between this model and the Freewing SU35.
The Su-35 is the much better model. The construction is one generation better than the LX MiGs (I built both), in many, many details.

Quote:
I need your advice on something. If I did decide to go with the ARF Mig-29 model, I would be changing out the stock esc's to two Turnigy plush 80amp with separate BEC (I already have these). I know that the stock LG is not the best in the world as well so I would probably be putting in the Eflite 15-25 or the RcLander gear for this plane. As well as adding carbon rod sleeves to the control rods. Id be eliminating the pilot eject and drag shoot....possibly even the TV (not sure yet on this one....maybe adding a few screws to just hold them in place for now).
Very sensible list.

Quote:
I am not looking for a speed demon, not looking for amazing 3D or unlimited vertical either.....just a nice jet with a good presence in the air.....something that cruises nicely and floats in for landings. Do you think the ARF would be alright with the simple mods that I listed above?
The stock fans and motors would still be a bit weak, unless you get the newest version with the metal shrouds (I don't know how good they are, but the new combination of these fans and bigger ESCs is showing up on the European market since about 1 month). So, weak, but flyable for sure.

Cheers,
Henrik
hklagges is offline Find More Posts by hklagges
Old Mar 06, 2013, 05:00 PM
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Nov 2010
566 Posts
Quote:
Alright guys, I know that this thread is not quite as active as it used to be, but I have a few questions to the pilots out there flying this model. Ive read about 2/3 of this thread so far.

Im wracking my brains out deciding between this model and the Freewing SU35. I need your advice on something. If I did decide to go with the ARF Mig-29 model, I would be changing out the stock esc's to two Turnigy plush 80amp with separate BEC (I already have these). I know that the stock LG is not the best in the world as well so I would probably be putting in the Eflite 15-25 or the RcLander gear for this plane. As well as adding carbon rod sleeves to the control rods. Id be eliminating the pilot eject and drag shoot....possibly even the TV (not sure yet on this one....maybe adding a few screws to just hold them in place for now).

I am not looking for a speed demon, not looking for amazing 3D or unlimited vertical either.....just a nice jet with a good presence in the air.....something that cruises nicely and floats in for landings. Do you think the ARF would be alright with the simple mods that I listed above? Thank you for input you guys can give me.
I can honestly give you a comparison between the Mig-29, SU-35 and SU-34. I've had 6 Mig-29 (yes my 6th mig is still flying) 5 su-35 and 3 su-34's.
I've flown them Stock and with Mods.

For all around i like the Mig-29, the problem you will run into tho is when you build it unless you get the ARF version. It comes in many pieces, the fuse isnt put together. The SU-35 or 34 (if you get the kit version) comes with the fuse already built for you. Servo wire cables are already run for you. all you need to do is plug in the servos, glue them in and finish building the plane.

As far as initial setup, id go with the SU-35.

Other items to consider:
1. Mig-29 you have to use 2-3s or mod it some for a single 6s battery.
2. SU35, you can use a 6s4500-6s 5500ma battery. no issue with battery weight really.
3. SU34 requires a 4s setup, 3300ma min realistically 4000ma.

The winner here is the SU35.

Flight performance:
Mig-29 is a 1980's era jet, not as flashy as the 5th gen SU35 but decent. In flight it's stable but it DOES require allot of throw on all surfaces. Don't forget this flys in Delta wing config if flying stock. In the air vary stable, reliable.

SU-35 is a 2000 era jet. Vary advance. Flight performance is above par. Stock setup is plenty fast and no real need to change it up. Lands beautifully if you know what your doing. Don't mod it for flaperons as many have done. I have a video showing the perfect landing
SU-35 Perfect landing (5 min 14 sec)
. In the air i haven't found a EDF that can beat it.

SU-34 Vary decent plane, take offs are by far true to life scale. Landings can be somewhat a little harder. i say this due to the canards in front, gives a balloon affect. the nose likes to come up but for me i like that part. in the air she flys well, but not a speed demon at all! twin 64mm with 45amp esc's in it does suck up the juice.

Overall rankings.

#1 SU-35 ( too many upside on this one.)
#2 Mig-29 from LX
#3 SU34 from FW. This is 3rd due to 4s and speed.
Wargassm is offline Find More Posts by Wargassm
Old Mar 06, 2013, 05:35 PM
3DHOG
USA, CA, Aromas
Joined Sep 2010
4,850 Posts
for comparison here is my buddies Mig29 which has the HK dps 68mm alloy fans, battery and hatch mod. the model was purchased as a kit and all electronics were selected. exi digital 9g servo's. lander electric retracts made specifically for this jet and it is a very nice setup which fly's every weekend on two 3300 4s pack in parallel.......its a sweet flyer

Gary's Mig 29 (3 min 55 sec)
jcdfrd is offline Find More Posts by jcdfrd
Old Mar 06, 2013, 07:36 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,384 Posts
I greatly appreciate all of the advice and comparisons! So much great info in here. I think after everything that I have read and all of the vids I have seen, I think the SU35 is the smarter choice (for me) at this point. Thanks again guys.
Old Mar 08, 2013, 06:49 PM
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Oct 2010
343 Posts
Quote:
I greatly appreciate all of the advice and comparisons! So much great info in here. I think after everything that I have read and all of the vids I have seen, I think the SU35 is the smarter choice (for me) at this point. Thanks again guys.
I have all 3 and would say each (talking stock) is good for it's own purpose:
MIG29 - wow effect with all bells and whistles, scale/sports flying.
SU-34 - a really great 3D trainer jet. Not as fast as 35 but as agile. Also economic (are you ready to buy 3 6S batteries?) and very forgiving. It won't fall like a brick down and if you pancake it (which happens often once you start flying jet as a helicopter) usually there's no damage.
SU-35 is for someone who thinks to upgrade su-34 to 6S and 70mm. Basically a heavy, powerful, scary version of su-34. It flies faster and falls down much faster. I won't use it to learn flat spins or hovering but fast sport/3D flying in a large space is it's masterpiece.
EF2000 - is in between 34 and MIG
Sockrat is offline Find More Posts by Sockrat
Last edited by Sockrat; Mar 08, 2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old Mar 08, 2013, 10:14 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,384 Posts
Just an FYI for anyone considering this model from BH at this point. I just got a response back from a BH rep saying that at this point they only carry the V1 for all Mig-29 color combos. She stated that they do plan on getting the newer V2s in stock soon, but could not give me an exact date.

Im considering just buying the kit and building the simplest MIG as possible. I read back in this thread and saw that someone was flying this off of the cheap 70mm Dynam edf units with the 60amp escs that come with the combo and said the flight performance was actually really good. Might try that out, no LE slats, no pilot eject, no drag parachute....just the basics.....thats all I really want lol.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 03:21 PM
United States, MD, Clinton
Joined Oct 2010
1,002 Posts
Got mine cleaned up and new batteries to break in before the maiden. Preliminary tests show each esc/motor side. Picture is from a static inplane run to go easy on the batteries for now. Loving the sound.
Max- voltage- 29.5, amps- 87, watts-2105, rpm-41300
houstonderk is offline Find More Posts by houstonderk