SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 04, 2009, 06:32 PM
Fetus Destroyer
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jul 2009
127 Posts
Discussion
HARPOONING My AP plane in a tree.

It's 15" long, has 4 barbs right behind the sharpened nose and 4 tracking fins. I'm going to shoot it at 600 feet per second and hit my T-28 which is stuck 100 feet up in a tree. Once it embeds in my T-28 I'll pull it down with the attached 60lb test fishing line.

Sorry for the crappy pics, I had to use my cellphone camera because my 10mp digital camera is in my T-28 in that tree!!!

So, do you think I went overboard on this one?
KiwiNATOR is offline Find More Posts by KiwiNATOR
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2009, 06:37 PM
Joined Oct 2002
518 Posts
Please film this I don't want to miss it?
SD
slopedog is offline Find More Posts by slopedog
Old Aug 04, 2009, 06:41 PM
I fly low, I'm in high demand
Smithtown, NY
Joined Jul 2003
848 Posts
This is great ! Please, please get a buddy to video tape this ! Would also love to see the details on the "missile launcher".
birdman11787 is offline Find More Posts by birdman11787
Old Aug 04, 2009, 06:50 PM
Gaftopher
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,967 Posts
Sorry to hear about the T28 but monumental story in the making.
Gary Mortimer is online now Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
Old Aug 04, 2009, 07:29 PM
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiNATOR
Sorry for the crappy pics, I had to use my cellphone camera because my 10mp digital camera is in my T-28 in that tree!!!
Just hope you don't harpoon the camera

Rusty
13brv3 is offline Find More Posts by 13brv3
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 04, 2009, 08:04 PM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,399 Posts
We all can't wait! Like the others have said, please film!
quailbird is offline Find More Posts by quailbird
Old Aug 04, 2009, 08:39 PM
No thrust...It'll bust...
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,375 Posts

-Tim
troynh is offline Find More Posts by troynh
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Ghetto Tank
Old Aug 04, 2009, 08:42 PM
Flying Kiwi
Blue Mountains, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
1,271 Posts
>>>>>>>>NEWSFLASH<<<<<<<<<
This just in...a mysterious rocket-like device has just embedded itself in the whitehouse lawn. Sources inside the whitehouse speculated that it may have been yet another North Korean medium range missle test. Another source stated that this appears to be a deliberate effort to provoke the American's, by disguising the rocket as a New Zealand built plane retrieval device. Sources close to the president went so far as to venture that this may have been a misguided effort to wish the new president a Happy Birthday, as the rocket was reported to have a smiley face on the nosecone. The grapevine is alive with rumours of a home video of the launch, nothing yet has been seen on the popular video hosting site YouTube.

Watch this thread for breaking developments....
MisterNiceGuy is offline Find More Posts by MisterNiceGuy
Old Aug 04, 2009, 10:52 PM
Joined Oct 2004
399 Posts
I'd think a 12 guage with double ought buckshot would work just about as well and would be more accurate
flipflop is offline Find More Posts by flipflop
Old Aug 05, 2009, 12:55 AM
Need more time....
Stuttgart, Germany
Joined May 2003
245 Posts
Trees = Plane Eaters

I was flying my Vapor out side and managed to get it stuck about 25 to 30 feet up in a tree. I noticed that my apartment is on the fifth floor and the balcony was even with where the vapor was stuck. First I tried taping together all of the carbon tubes and rods (for stiffening), but that wouldn't reach, so I used a coat hanger to pull some fishing line through a Nerf ball. It took several throws, but I managed to loop the line over the branch. I pulled and pulled from the balcony, but that just wasn't doing it so I dropped the line to my wife and she pulled it from a more aggressive angle and after a few tugs, the Vapor dropped from the tree branch undamaged. The only downside is that the line was snagged in the tree so this winter, when all of the leaves fall, we will have a lovely view of a orange and blue Nerf ball hanging from the tree. I'm sure someone will complain and the next thing you will hear about is how long I'll be in the hospital after falling out of the tree.

Mark
MarkFitzgerald is offline Find More Posts by MarkFitzgerald
Old Aug 05, 2009, 02:18 AM
Fetus Destroyer
Joined Jul 2009
127 Posts
Here are some locations including the crash site! (click satellite)
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0...10ff9ddf260f6a

I will film tomorrow, Because guess what! I GOT MY CAMERA BACK! A few hours ago I shot the harpoon at my plane...

The wing and fuselage came apart at the crash and the servo leads for the ailerons are tangled in the branches, when I shot the harpoon it hit the wing panel dead center, it blew the wing in half and kept on going without hooking on to the plane...

HOWEVER! The force knocked the camera pod OFF THE PLANE! Which fell in the nettles and sticker bushes below, I picked it up..

The camera has been in that tree from JUNE 21st 8:51 pm to AUGUST 4th 8:23pm!

That's not all, the camera has stored the final video showing every second of the flight up until the crash! I will upload it shortly...

Unfortunately, my plane is still in that tree, with 4 HS-65HBs, a CC 45a ESC, an AR6200 RX, and the Motor.

Now that I have my camera I will film what I do next... I have not succeed in harpooning the plane, so I'm going to shoot WHOLE BAKING POTATOES at it, I built the launcher, it's CO2 powered and can blast a POTATO through a 3/4" sheet of plywood from 100 meters.

My thinking is that if I can blow the plane into tiny pieces they will come dislodged from the tree and I can save my electronics and put them in a new T-28!

There is no hope for getting the plane intact, the tree is on an 80 degree slope, surrounded by nettles, it's 100 feet up and deeply embedded in the tree, it's unaccessible from anything other than a kamikaze potato!

If you have any ideas please TELL ME before I blow my plane to bits tomorrow afternoon (August 5th)...
Old Aug 05, 2009, 03:46 AM
Gaftopher
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,967 Posts
Well, thats very cool that you have your camera and a potato gun vs T-28 video has to be seen!
Gary Mortimer is online now Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
Old Aug 05, 2009, 04:16 AM
Joined Jun 2006
1,065 Posts
Quote:
It's 15" long, has 4 barbs right behind the sharpened nose and 4 tracking fins. I'm going to shoot it at 600 feet per second and hit my T-28 which is stuck 100 feet up in a tree. Once it embeds in my T-28 I'll pull it down with the attached 60lb test fishing line.

So, do you think I went overboard on this one?
It's a bit further advanced on our recovery system ie a lump of lead with fishing line attached shot into the tree with a catapult (slingshot)
Ted
tedrobphoto is offline Find More Posts by tedrobphoto
Old Aug 05, 2009, 04:17 AM
Fetus Destroyer
Joined Jul 2009
127 Posts
Check out my avatar picture thing on the left...

<------
Old Aug 05, 2009, 05:30 AM
Joined Jul 2009
11 Posts
Quote:
Here are some locations including the crash site! (click satellite)
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0...10ff9ddf260f6a

Now that I have my camera I will film what I do next... I have not succeed in harpooning the plane, so I'm going to shoot WHOLE BAKING POTATOES at it, I built the launcher, it's CO2 powered and can blast a POTATO through a 3/4" sheet of plywood from 100 meters.

If you have any ideas please TELL ME before I blow my plane to bits tomorrow afternoon (August 5th)...
How about two hard boiled eggs straight at the tree trunk and fetch the whole thing down?
Bruce too is offline Find More Posts by Bruce too