HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Today, 12:38 AM
Joined Feb 2014
15 Posts
Just thinking...<br />
Why not just stabilize the lens instead of the entire camera? The motors and the entire apparatus would be much much smaller and lighter duty. An extension cable already exists for the Mobius lens. <br />
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...ble_200mm.html<br/>
Cinzano is offline Find More Posts by Cinzano
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 12:39 AM
Joined Feb 2014
15 Posts
Thats a quote gone bad
Cinzano is offline Find More Posts by Cinzano
Old Today, 12:54 AM
Crashing is my thing.
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Mar 2012
1,577 Posts
It's a problem of finding motors that will work, that's what's holding mini gimbals back. cinerotors are the best I've seen so far. As to stabilizing just the lens, definitely possible, but it comes to a motor problem again.

From reading this blog and talking with the owner, you need a certain pole count on the stator and bell to get smooth response. So yes, in theory micro motors would be awesome that could just stabilize the lens, but good luck finding them (or rewinding something so small without going cross eyed).

Not saying it can't be done, I'd love for it to happen. I've been trying my own designs and the motors are just the limiting factor at the moment. I've even contacted a couple companies and no-one's interested at the moment. But I have a feeling once one company does it and makes the killing that is bound to happen, everyone will jump on board (similar to what happened with the mini motors with the mini quads started coming out).
MayMayDay is online now Find More Posts by MayMayDay
Old Today, 02:00 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Feb 2014
6 Posts
Thanks MayMayDay. The biggest problem with stabilizing the sensor/lens only is the ribbon cable is way too stiff to make it viable. Had a look at it already. Not to mention that you'll actually be adding unnecessary weight. I would be willing to have motors mass manufacture at some point if all testing goes well and there's enough interest. It may even be possible to achieve a 3 axis gimbal at around to 100g mark including Mobius.
cinerotors is offline Find More Posts by cinerotors
Old Today, 02:08 AM
Crashing is my thing.
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Mar 2012
1,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinerotors View Post
Thanks MayMayDay. The biggest problem with stabilizing the sensor/lens only is the ribbon cable is way too stiff to make it viable. Had a look at it already. Not to mention that you'll actually be adding unnecessary weight. I would be willing to have motors mass manufacture at some point if all testing goes well and there's enough interest. It may even be possible to achieve a 3 axis gimbal at around to 100g mark including Mobius.
True, the ribbon cable would be pretty stiff. If you can convince Hobbyking to rewind that motor, then yes please! From my interaction with them, it's a bit of a longshot though. If you could find the OEM factory, even better. But then they might not have a winding machine, as was the case with some of the companies I contacted (they are hand wound most of the time, crazy I know). Cobra being one example, they said they'd have to buy a winding machine to do it, which would cost a couple grand up front...

Edit: These were the motors I was asking Cobra to rewind. They are 15g and have a 12/14 stator/magnet configuration. The ones you've done are 9/12 (as far as I can tell from the picture), which means less steps, which can cause cogging. Read through Olli's blog linked above to see what I mean.
http://innov8tivedesigns.com/parts/b...tors/c-2202-70

HK also used to carry the AX 1304 (7g) and the AX 1306 (9g) which were both 12/14. Can't find them on their website now though, maybe there's another alternative.
Last edited by MayMayDay; Today at 02:21 AM.
Old Today, 02:35 AM
Joined Feb 2014
6 Posts
I've also approached a motor manufacturer in China that could make a custom motor for me. On my recent visit to China they where kind enough to give me a tour through their factory. I'm very pleased with there facility but ill have to order min 500pc for them to consider it.
Old Today, 02:37 AM
Joined Feb 2014
6 Posts
I agree. 9/12 is not the most ideal but I figured for me to re-wind a 1304 12/14 will be so much more difficult. It is serving its purpose for this test.
Old Today, 02:59 AM
Crashing is my thing.
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Mar 2012
1,577 Posts
Hmm, very nice. 500 MOQ is a bit steep, but if they can do engineering samples (lets say ~6) for you for a 1304 size motor with 12/14 that you could test, then it might be worthwhile. I'm also sure there'd be a bunch of people willing to invest in that if the testing was done before on the samples and shown to work. I'd be in for a big chunk as well.

Mounting options would also be important to consider, I don't like having the prop saver on the bell.

(Also noticed your from SA. My entire family is from there, and I love it when I go back. Drinking rooibos tea alongside some ouma rusks at the moment, good bedtime snack. )
Old Today, 03:26 AM
Joined Feb 2014
6 Posts
Lol @"Drinking rooibos tea alongside some ouma rusks at the moment" SA pass time. Time will tell with regards to the motors. Raining here at the moment so cant do a good test of the setup. Mounting options will be very important. For now I'm going to do a re-design of my mobi250 quad to include the gimbal in the frame. Will be a fantastic little arial platform.
Old Today, 01:38 PM
Open the bay doors... HAL
United States, OH, Mentor
Joined Jun 2013
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arakon View Post
Ah.. no, no dual rates. I'm using a devo 7e with the deviation firmware.
You must have practiced panning quite a bit.

To get such a smooth slow yaw is no easy task.
DJI27 is offline Find More Posts by DJI27
Old Today, 04:11 PM
France
Joined Jun 2007
232 Posts
Still thinking "outside the box", and maybe using the extension cable for the lens, did anyone tried to mod or 3d-print a mobius case to relocate the lens on the top of the case?
I searched on thingiverse but didn't find a printable case with such lens orientation

That would allow a much simpler gimbal mount and weight repartition, " la gopro"
That would also allow to mount the gimbal controller or VTX behind the camera

On a side note, I just received the micro-BGC from witespyquad

http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/acc...ontroller.html
Didn't test it yet, though...
Bisso is offline Find More Posts by Bisso
Last edited by Bisso; Today at 04:34 PM.