HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 02, 2013, 11:44 AM
Joined Jan 2013
20 Posts
Discussion
Looking to get into on road. Need advice.

A friend and I have been running off road trucks, now we want on road cars too. There is no local scene for this so fitting into a class doesn't really matter, just that we build these things so they can run together.

We are looking at the Team Associated TC6.1 right now. Is this a good car to get into this kind of driving with? I have no problem building the kit, I'll have to learn to set this up and I'm kind of looking forward to that actually. What motors and ESCs really work well with this? High KV, lower KV....?
hatefulgravey is offline Find More Posts by hatefulgravey
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2013, 01:13 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,815 Posts
A TC6.1 is hugely overkill for just running for fun. Have a look at the TC4 club racer chassis, much more budget friendly and still a great handling car.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Apr 02, 2013, 01:39 PM
Joined Jan 2013
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
A TC6.1 is hugely overkill for just running for fun. Have a look at the TC4 club racer chassis, much more budget friendly and still a great handling car.
I'm not going to out grow that car am I? I would love to save the money, I'm just afraid I'm going to want to replace it after 6 months for something better. The real goal is just to "race" a little around the lots we can. Even as I type that I see that you are probably right. See, thats why we ask quesitons.

Any advice for the power system?

Thanks for the advice.
Old Apr 02, 2013, 01:46 PM
United States, CA, Pinole
Joined Jan 2009
787 Posts
I think the shaft drive TC4 would be a better fit.I have Associated belt driven TC's and the belts tend to pick up little rocks from the typical bashing environment.I use my shaft drive TC3's for bashing and save the belt drive cars for the track.

hope this helps

imgumby
imgumby is online now Find More Posts by imgumby
Old Apr 02, 2013, 02:27 PM
Joined Jan 2013
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imgumby View Post
I think the shaft drive TC4 would be a better fit.I have Associated belt driven TC's and the belts tend to pick up little rocks from the typical bashing environment.I use my shaft drive TC3's for bashing and save the belt drive cars for the track.

hope this helps

imgumby
The TC4 I'm looking at is shaft driven as well.

Any thoughts on the Apex by Team Associated?
Old Apr 02, 2013, 07:23 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatefulgravey View Post
I'm not going to out grow that car am I? I would love to save the money, I'm just afraid I'm going to want to replace it after 6 months for something better. The real goal is just to "race" a little around the lots we can. Even as I type that I see that you are probably right. See, thats why we ask quesitons.

Any advice for the power system?

Thanks for the advice.
Unless you build up to racing at a VERY high level in 6 months, the TC4 won't let you down at all. For power system, I'm really not sure. It all depends on if you'll be racing at all or just having fun with friends. If you're racing, you'll need a motor and ESC to match whatever class they run, if you'll never race and will always just be having fun with friends shoot for something budget friendly that everyone can get so it's fair and fun.

Some popular classes are 17.5T and 13.5T (some tracks require "blinky" esc's to show you're running no boost/timing as well). For parking lot fun, you can go with lower turns since you'll probably want more top speed and less slow speed punch.
Old Apr 03, 2013, 03:26 PM
Joined Jan 2013
20 Posts
cool, thanks for the information.

One more thing about this on my mind right now. Hang with me just one more time guys. What is the difference in sensored and sensorless motors? In my bashing experience I learned people use sensorless most often so I went with that. In this I'm seeing much more sensored and I'm wondering what I'm missing. The videos I'm seeing of people racing these things are showing me a much smoother looking and sounding motor, so maybe its just that?
Old Apr 04, 2013, 02:24 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,815 Posts
Sensored will be smoother at very low speeds and throttle inputs, but once moving you won't really notice the difference.