Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:40 PM
At peace with his albatross
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Oct 2003
2,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajora View Post
I should have one of these in a couple days Todd. I will give it a go with my Futaba and we'll see.

(How you doing buddy!? Been awhile!)
Hey bud! Love the HD website!

Let us know about the FHSS business
wannabe is offline Find More Posts by wannabe
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:50 AM
centennial/aurora colorado
Joined Mar 2008
1,392 Posts
so i went to the lhs a coupe times and tried out the ethos and now im hooked, they also let me fly the 1sq and traxxas qr1. in my opinion the ethos is a much more forgiving design. the 1sq seems quirky it will readily do something one time but then have a issue doing the same manuver later not sure why. the traxxas is by far the more razor edge quad of the three but imnot sure i enjoy that its almost to sensitive on even low rates, the shop has a air duct at one point in the ceiling and the qr1 seemed to really like to oscillate as soon as it found the air flow from the vent, granted all the quads did but the traxxas seemed the most stable in it. the ethos seemed easiest to just hover around and practice basic moves wether tail in or tail out. the 1sq probably hovered the worst out of the three, not horribly mind you just alot more corrections then the ethos or qr1. now i just have to wait till christmas for my ethos, bummer. well if you need me ill be at my lhs untuil then lol.
kelloggair is offline Find More Posts by kelloggair
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:38 AM
Joined Mar 2008
1,392 Posts
what happened? where did everyone go?
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:34 AM
Joined Oct 2003
2,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelloggair View Post
so i went to the lhs a coupe times and tried out the ethos and now im hooked, they also let me fly the 1sq and traxxas qr1. in my opinion the ethos is a much more forgiving design. the 1sq seems quirky it will readily do something one time but then have a issue doing the same manuver later not sure why. the traxxas is by far the more razor edge quad of the three but imnot sure i enjoy that its almost to sensitive on even low rates, the shop has a air duct at one point in the ceiling and the qr1 seemed to really like to oscillate as soon as it found the air flow from the vent, granted all the quads did but the traxxas seemed the most stable in it. the ethos seemed easiest to just hover around and practice basic moves wether tail in or tail out. the 1sq probably hovered the worst out of the three, not horribly mind you just alot more corrections then the ethos or qr1. now i just have to wait till christmas for my ethos, bummer. well if you need me ill be at my lhs untuil then lol.
I also had a chance to fly the 1SQ, the Traxxas, and Ethos together. I am a casual micro quad flyer because I have too many other things to fly. IMO, they all fly the same - the difference is in the way they respond to stick input. The Traxxas was the best, the Ethos is the worst, but I bought the Ethos because it was $20 cheaper than all the others.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:37 AM
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Sep 2008
147 Posts
Quote:
what happened? where did everyone go?
Snow storm here in the plains and onto the midwest. Everyone must be inside flying there quads.

I like the evaluation of the different quads. I think that Jason took a lot of time getting it to fly so well. I do have the the Lady bird before I got my Ethos and the Ethos fly much better and i account a lot of it to the programming changes Jason made. At least that is what I think. Jason correct me if I am wrong.
huskerfreak is online now Find More Posts by huskerfreak
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:42 AM
Joined Mar 2008
1,392 Posts
did you fly high rates on the ethos? it makes the control inputs nicer and i think imo that this is intentional, your basic flyer needs the dead spot or expo if you will, but when at the high rates setting it all but removes the dead spot.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:52 AM
Joined Oct 2003
2,290 Posts
Quote:
did you fly high rates on the ethos? it makes the control inputs nicer and i think imo that this is intentional, your basic flyer needs the dead spot or expo if you will, but when at the high rates setting it all but removes the dead spot.
Yes I did. I still feel that there is a flat exponential curve. You have to move the sticks too far before the bird reacts.

Since there is a USB port on the controller, I am hoping that there will be a way of flashing a different program into it.......
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:59 AM
Joined Mar 2008
1,392 Posts
hmm sounds like an idea, also sounds like i may have flown a tuesday model and you may have flown a friday model who knows. jason any comments?
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:04 AM
17 years on RCG!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 1996
3,111 Posts
Quote:
kelloggair nailed it It may seem like the EQX75 is a bit slow to respond to the controls in low rate, but this is intentional to smooth out response around center stick (to help first-time and low-time pilots in particular). The opposite seems true for the Traxxas....after flying both back-to-back yesterday it was obvious that even in low rate the Traxxas was far too responsive around center stick, then had too little control at max stick deflection. It felt like the equivalent of having the max travel for low rate turned down too much and too much 'positive' expo (for more control response around center stick) on top of that. Some pilots may prefer this, but the vast majority of pilots I know and fly with prefer it the other way around.

Also, for pilots that mostly hover it may seem like they all fly about the same (and that the Traxxas responds faster to control inputs around center stick). But for pilots that tend to 'fly around' a bit more the differences in their handling and performance is far more noticeable. Each pilot will have their own preference, but so far everyone I know that's had a chance to fly the EQX75 and many other quads prefers and/or really likes the handling and performance of the EQX75 overall. In low rates it has softened control response around center stick and a 'bank angle' limit that still allows for plenty of speed and maneuverability while keeping it from falling out of the sky at max stick deflection. In high rates it responds faster around center stick and pilots can push it to the limits of its capabilities if and when they want to.

On a related note, based on the overwhelming sales since the last shipment arrived it looks like there will be a lot of EQX75s under the tree and in the air on Christmas day So hopefully we'll see a lot more flight reports after the holiday next week!
Jason M is offline Find More Posts by Jason M
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:06 AM
Joined Mar 2008
1,392 Posts
thanks for the info jason, i had no idea it had a bank limiter on it nice feature for casual flying
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:26 AM
Joined Oct 2003
2,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
kelloggair nailed it It may seem like the EQX75 is a bit slow to respond to the controls in low rate, but this is intentional to smooth out response around center stick (to help first-time and low-time pilots in particular). The opposite seems true for the Traxxas....after flying both back-to-back yesterday it was obvious that even in low rate the Traxxas was far too responsive around center stick, then had too little control at max stick deflection. It felt like the equivalent of having the max travel for low rate turned down too much and too much 'positive' expo (for more control response around center stick) on top of that. Some pilots may prefer this, but the vast majority of pilots I know and fly with prefer it the other way around.

Also, for pilots that mostly hover it may seem like they all fly about the same (and that the Traxxas responds faster to control inputs around center stick). But for pilots that tend to 'fly around' a bit more the differences in their handling and performance is far more noticeable. Each pilot will have their own preference, but so far everyone I know that's had a chance to fly the EQX75 and many other quads prefers and/or really likes the handling and performance of the EQX75 overall. In low rates it has softened control response around center stick and a 'bank angle' limit that still allows for plenty of speed and maneuverability while keeping it from falling out of the sky at max stick deflection. In high rates it responds faster around center stick and pilots can push it to the limits of its capabilities if and when they want to.

On a related note, based on the overwhelming sales since the last shipment arrived it looks like there will be a lot of EQX75s under the tree and in the air on Christmas day So hopefully we'll see a lot more flight reports after the holiday next week!
Thanks for the input Jason and congratulations on the initial success of the EQX75! I was a Product Manager once and I understand the challenges that drive decisions for features in a new product.

To your point, I was not able to fly "around" much in the LHS when I compared the various quadlings.

Can you answer a few questions?
  1. Can the Ethos be bound with any full size transmitters out there - Spektrum, Nine Eagles, Walkera, Futaba, etc?
  2. Are there any plans to allow the program in the stock Ethos transmitter to be modified?
  3. What is the air-speed velocity of a coconut laiden sparrow?
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:45 AM
17 years on RCG!
Joined Dec 1996
3,111 Posts
Quote:
thanks for the info jason, i had no idea it had a bank limiter on it nice feature for casual flying
Although we don't exactly advertise the fact, the EQX75 is equipped with a 3-axis gyro as well as a 3-axis accelerometer. And although I expected myself and many other experienced pilots wouldn't necessarily like the bank angle limit in low rates much (and would mostly fly in high rates as a result), I actually enjoy having the ability to jam the stick in one direction and watch the EQX75 zip along at max speed with almost no other control inputs (in low rate). In fact when flying outdoors in the wind I find it's sometimes easier to fly fast into the wind in low rate than it is in high rate because I can just bury the stick, manage the throttle a bit and watch it go

Don't get me wrong I really enjoy flying around in high rate too, but even I'm surprised how much fun it is for experienced pilots to fly in low rate. Sometimes it takes a bit of coaxing to get them to try it, but once they do, it's addicting to watch the EQX75 zip off like it's on rails (making us all look like much better pilots in the process)
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:49 AM
Joined Mar 2008
1,392 Posts
thats why i have enjoyed flying it so much, and soon will enjoy flying mine come tuesday. im off to the hobby shop at 12ish mtn time again to mess with it.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:10 PM
17 years on RCG!
Joined Dec 1996
3,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
To your point, I was not able to fly "around" much in the LHS when I compared the various quadlings.
After testing lots of different quads I found it's definitely hard to get a good feel for the overall handling and performance of each without having enough space to comfortably fly around in. They all seem pretty good and similar when hovering, but even just some quick forward flight circuits can be very telling and sets the good apart from the bad

BTW, I really like the term 'quadlings' to describe these nano-micro class quads

Quote:
Can you answer a few questions?[LIST=1][*]Can the Ethos be bound with any full size transmitters out there - Spektrum, Nine Eagles, Walkera, Futaba, etc?
Definitely not Spektrum (keep in mind Horizon does not really license Spektrum to anyone beyond JR so you'll likely never see Spektrum-compatible receivers/models offered by 'legitimate' brands/businesses), but to be honest we have not tried the rest so it is possible (though not necessarily likely). On a related note, FHSS stands for 'Frequency-Hopping Spread Spectrum', not an exclusive/'branded' 2.4 protocol. Most other 2.4 systems are FHSS but not all are compatible.

Quote:
[LIST=2][*]Are there any plans to allow the program in the stock Ethos transmitter to be modified?
No plans at the moment but we can see what's possible after we have more feedback from other customers in the coming weeks.

Quote:
  1. What is the air-speed velocity of a coconut laiden sparrow?
"It's a simple question of weight ratios! A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut."

I can't help but agree, but that doesn't mean I'm right
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:23 PM
Flying Monkey
Lexington, KY
Joined Aug 2010
307 Posts
Quote:
What is the air-speed velocity of a coconut laiden sparrow?
An African, or European swallow?
heli-yeah is offline Find More Posts by heli-yeah