HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 06, 2014, 07:21 AM
ParkScaleModels
United States, PA, Loganville
Joined Feb 2002
4,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Freddy View Post
I have not glued the floats to the struts as per instructions. Agreed fantastic kit and a joy to build.
Then as long as you don't mind cutting into the top of the wing at the float mount, you'd have no problem with the modified structure.
zbrubaker is offline Find More Posts by zbrubaker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Shop remodeling continues...
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2014, 09:51 AM
Madison, WI
Joined Feb 2004
862 Posts
Zeke, In looking over the Albatross instructions it occurred to me there might be a simpler way to strengthen the float mount / strut assembly. I think the strength is needed in the float mount box that's glued in the wings. For future kits the float, strut and strut mount plate all remain the same. Why not include 4 basswood blocks, say 1/2" x 1/2" x the inside height of the float box to screw the strut mount plates into? I say 4 pieces: 2 screws for front & back, 2 screws for side to side of the strut mount plates. Might have to widen the strut mount plate an 1/8" or so to allow for the 2 side to side screws. Include laser alignment marks to glue the blocks onto so everything lines up perfectly. Blocks could be predrilled and tapped. Then I think any breakage would occur at the strut to strut mount plate or float to strut points, where you designed them to shear away. Does this make sense? I also like your solution.
Fast Freddy is offline Find More Posts by Fast Freddy