HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2012, 01:43 PM
Joined Feb 2012
153 Posts
Discussion
boat lying around!!! help :)

hi, so i have made this boat a long time ago out of some sort of light wood! it is just lying around so i was just wondering if any1 has any cheap gear that i could use for it? r any links to cheap stuff! i would need to know what to be used though as i am new to this and am on my first build which is a small 10 inch boat! i will include pics of the exact boat made from cardboard as the wooden 1 is in the garage! it is 25 inches in lenght and is 3.5 inches in height!
lacey is offline Find More Posts by lacey
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2012, 04:07 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,201 Posts
Start out by building a stuffing tube...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=437771

http://www.towboatjoe.com/shafts.htm

Use some automotive vacuum hose as a connection from prop shaft to motor.
Make a propeller from a soup can lid... add a rudder and batteries and wiring and
that would at least get it running.

Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Feb 22, 2012, 04:27 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,889 Posts
More or less what UMI said, but you could raid a broken toy for the motor, maybe use cycle valve rubber for the coupler, or some cable insulation.
Best be quick looking at Towboatjoes' site - very sadly he passed away recently - there is no saying how long the site and its contents will be available, but there is a mine of useful information on there.
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02
Old Feb 22, 2012, 09:56 AM
Joined Feb 2012
153 Posts
hi thanks for help so far!!! i am half thinking of putting a bit of money into this if i have any left after building my other boat! how much would it cost to make it a fast boat to play around with? links to equiptment needed would b highly apprechiated!!!! thanks jack!!!
lacey is offline Find More Posts by lacey
Old Feb 23, 2012, 03:33 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,889 Posts
A look in the racing boats section might give you the information, but remember that they speak in strange tongues over there.
Pre-made hardware is fairly international with the internet and mail order, but if you are going to think out of the box, putting your whereabouts in your profile helps. There are lots of queries like this, with replies that are helpful in some places, but suggest materials that have a different name in other parts of the world, or unknown, or possibly illegal.
Making a boat go fast is mainly a matter of supplying enough power. Making it go fast and in the direction intended and stay the right end up is another story altogether. It all adds to the interest.
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02