HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:38 PM
Trex 450 SE V2, Blade 120 SR
Joined Jan 2011
19 Posts
Hey guys Im sorry to dig up an old thread but my question is related.

Im a first time poster but I wanted to run a question by you friendly folks here on RC Groups.

I converted my polecat to run a 3s battery by following in mitsudriver's tracks. I used a Thunderbird 6A ESC, AEO C10 2100K motor, 4.5x5 gws prop, and, of course, a polecat. The stock motor went out in the polecat so I jumped all over this thread to get a faster polecat.

Trouble is, I am missing something somewhere. I am certain my motor isn't making 130 grams of thrust and after moving to WOT, the motor cuts out to zero after about 2.5 seconds. I am sure that the prop isnt spinning at 10,000 rpm either. I re-checked solder joints between the motor/ESC, tried 2 separate 3s batteries, and even replaced the motor.

This is becoming quite the headache for me... Anyway, I have a programmable transmitter and a rtf parkzone transmitter. The problem occurs with both batteries fully charged so I have come back around to the ESC.

When if first happened, I contacted Castle Creations and they said it can't be the ESC but I am not convinced.

Any suggestions?

Thank you guys/girls in advance!

Lockweeze
lockweeze is offline Find More Posts by lockweeze
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:47 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockweeze View Post
Hey guys Im sorry to dig up an old thread but my question is related.

Im a first time poster but I wanted to run a question by you friendly folks here on RC Groups.

I converted my polecat to run a 3s battery by following in mitsudriver's tracks. I used a Thunderbird 6A ESC, AEO C10 2100K motor, 4.5x5 gws prop, and, of course, a polecat. The stock motor went out in the polecat so I jumped all over this thread to get a faster polecat.

Trouble is, I am missing something somewhere. I am certain my motor isn't making 130 grams of thrust and after moving to WOT, the motor cuts out to zero after about 2.5 seconds. I am sure that the prop isnt spinning at 10,000 rpm either. I re-checked solder joints between the motor/ESC, tried 2 separate 3s batteries, and even replaced the motor.

This is becoming quite the headache for me... Anyway, I have a programmable transmitter and a rtf parkzone transmitter. The problem occurs with both batteries fully charged so I have come back around to the ESC.

When if first happened, I contacted Castle Creations and they said it can't be the ESC but I am not convinced.

Any suggestions?

Thank you guys/girls in advance!

Lockweeze
Did you set the throttle end points on the ESC???...You may not be getting "true" full throttle...You set the end points by turning on the TX and moving the throttle stick to full up with the trim all of the way down....Power up the plane...You should hear a series of beeps...(Check your instructions for how many beeps)...Now, move the throttle to the fully low position...You should hear another series of beeps...The throttle end points are now set...But beware---If you leave the throttle in the full up position too long you will enter the programming mode...Again---Refer to the instructions for the correct amount of beeps...

If you haven't already tried---Set the end points of the ESC and tell us what you find...GOOD LUCK!!!

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:06 PM
Joined Jan 2011
19 Posts
Hey Kevin thanks for the speedy response!!

I believe I have tried that once before but I will make certain the try that tonight when I get off work. I think when I first set up the ESC, I went into programming mode accidentally and I might have janked it all up. I say that because the throttle has always been inverted. I bet I can invert it with my turnigy er9x since I FINALLY got the dsm2 mod working but I am not sure if I permanently messed up the end points if I can't set them as you suggested.

Could I have messed it up initially when I set it up?

Thanks again for the quick response and I will update any advances!
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:26 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,006 Posts
Quote:
Hey Kevin thanks for the speedy response!!

I believe I have tried that once before but I will make certain the try that tonight when I get off work. I think when I first set up the ESC, I went into programming mode accidentally and I might have janked it all up. I say that because the throttle has always been inverted. I bet I can invert it with my turnigy er9x since I FINALLY got the dsm2 mod working but I am not sure if I permanently messed up the end points if I can't set them as you suggested.

Could I have messed it up initially when I set it up?

Thanks again for the quick response and I will update any advances!
Yep--You can mess up the ESC programming but not permanently!!!...Get a Castle programming cable for your computer so that you can see what you are doing...You can go through the business of counting beeps through the motor when setting up the ESC but Castle makes it simple with their programming cable and software...

Personally, I don't like reversing the rotation in the ESC---Here's why---When you reverse the rotation in the programming you have now changed the software...If you get a strange spark or many connects/disconnects to the ESC when trying to connect the battery the ESC can loose its modified programming and go to the default progamming...When this happens, the motor runs in reverse---Not at all a problem with micros but a HUGE problem with larger planes...When the ESC looses its programming the motor can reverse rotation back to the default---This causes the motor to run in reverse, backing up the plane and possibly causing severe bodily injury---I like to run up my planes before takeoff to ensure that I'm getting full throttle and everything is OK...But a backwards running prop can cause the plane to back up on you and the prop can cut you BADLY!!!

I always reverse the motor rotation by swapping out two of the three motor wires...This way, if the ESC ever reverts back to factory defaults the motor will still turn in the proper direction...

Kevin
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:32 PM
Joined Jan 2011
19 Posts
Im sorry Kevin I think I misled you. I probably confused the wording.

The prop spins in the correct direction its just that zero throttle on the trasmitter is where 100 percent should be for a normally programmed bird! And whats more, the propeller doesnt actually spin until I raise the throttle from 100% (on a normal plane) past 50% headed towards 0% throttle(on a normal plane). The prop will spin at around 40% (on a normal plane) or at 60% on my possessed polecat. Im all messed up! Good gracious...

I apologize for the confusion.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:05 AM
Joined Mar 2007
4,006 Posts
Quote:
Im sorry Kevin I think I misled you. I probably confused the wording.

The prop spins in the correct direction its just that zero throttle on the trasmitter is where 100 percent should be for a normally programmed bird! And whats more, the propeller doesnt actually spin until I raise the throttle from 100% (on a normal plane) past 50% headed towards 0% throttle(on a normal plane). The prop will spin at around 40% (on a normal plane) or at 60% on my possessed polecat. Im all messed up! Good gracious...

I apologize for the confusion.
I converted a 1S brick to run a 2S system and had the same problem---But I can't remember exactly what I did to fix it...Try reversing the throttle signal in the TX...Be sure the RX is OFF....Then, re-bind the RX and ESC together with the throttle in the low and low trim position...Everything should be where it should with the throttle...Now, unplug the RX and power down the TX...Next, power up the TX with the throttle @ 100% and the trim all of the way low...The ESC will give the high throttle set conformation beeps---Now go to low throttle to get those conformation beeps...Finally, move the trim up and the prop should turn before you run out of trim...

Let us know if this does you any good...

Kevin
Old Oct 01, 2012, 01:27 PM
Joined Jan 2011
19 Posts
Hey kevin I appreciate all your help!

I looked at the bird last night and inversed the throttle to the correct orientation. I solved the other problems I was having with my channels swapped but my throttle still starts at 50 percent and cuts out around 90%.

I also inverted my trim as well. Not exactly sure how I did that but my prop spins faster as I move the stick upward like it should so that is good.

For the trim inversion, when clicking the trim up, it moves the trim tab on my screen down and makes the prop spin faster. Click the trim button down, it moves the trim tab on my screen up and makes the prop spin slower.

So strange!!

I would almost rather call castle creations and send mine back as I tried the trim all the way down with the throttle all the way down, then vice versa with no luck. I cant get my ESC to go into programming mode. It only sees the wrong WOT and 0% throttle and goes on to arm normally.

If I could just get it into programming mode I might be able to fix it!

Golly
Old Oct 01, 2012, 05:59 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,345 Posts
Quote:
Hey kevin I appreciate all your help!

I looked at the bird last night and inversed the throttle to the correct orientation. I solved the other problems I was having with my channels swapped but my throttle still starts at 50 percent and cuts out around 90%.

I also inverted my trim as well. Not exactly sure how I did that but my prop spins faster as I move the stick upward like it should so that is good.

For the trim inversion, when clicking the trim up, it moves the trim tab on my screen down and makes the prop spin faster. Click the trim button down, it moves the trim tab on my screen up and makes the prop spin slower.

So strange!!

I would almost rather call castle creations and send mine back as I tried the trim all the way down with the throttle all the way down, then vice versa with no luck. I cant get my ESC to go into programming mode. It only sees the wrong WOT and 0% throttle and goes on to arm normally.

If I could just get it into programming mode I might be able to fix it!

Golly
Sounds like your throttle end points are off. Did you try calibrating the esc?
Cheese5 is online now Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:12 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese5 View Post
Sounds like your throttle end points are off. Did you try calibrating the esc?
Exactly---It's NOT an ESC problem!!!..

In my last post I suggested that you power everything off...Turn on the power to the TX with the throttle full and the trim low...Now, power on the ESC---You should hear a series of beeps...These are the high throttle conformation beeps..

After this series there will a brief pause before more beeps...(The latter beeps means that you are entering the programming mode)...After the first series of beeps stop move the throttle to the fully down (low) position---You will hear another series of beeps...This is the low throttle conformation...You should now be set to go...

Kevin