Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 15, 2011, 12:59 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
You forgot DMD LRS. I think they had the first video I saw beyond 20km.
Elcheapo is offline Find More Posts by Elcheapo
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2011, 01:03 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
FPV 25Km World Record (9 min 33 sec)

Long Range & Return Record (9 min 35 sec)

Cross Country Flying (13 min 13 sec)

Record 43/86 km. FPV. (7 min 35 sec)

FRsky+1W amp+14dBi patch, 40km (7 min 3 sec)
Old May 15, 2011, 01:07 PM
master of the universe
USA, CA, Novato
Joined Jul 2008
3,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcheapo View Post
Batteries are 2x 5000mAh + 1X 3600mAh.
Plane is Maxi swift with some work on it. Stiffed with few carbon spars, balsa elevons, oracover, retracts.

About the risks I toke I think probably deep inside me I want to start working on the zephyr that it is waiting on my desk. .

This are the pictures of the maxi as it is now.
very awesome. would love to hear some more notes on your setup. electronics used plane type. plans for plane...
captaingeek is offline Find More Posts by captaingeek
Old May 15, 2011, 02:07 PM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcheapo View Post
Well actually I don't know of anybody else except me going beyond 10km with a 2.4Ghz RC.
I made the comment about coconut sized cojones for a reason you know, that about sums it up ...

Cheers,

Sander - ImmersionRC
ssassen is offline Find More Posts by ssassen
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 15, 2011, 02:33 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssassen View Post
I made the comment about coconut sized cojones for a reason you know, that about sums it up ...

Cheers,

Sander - ImmersionRC
lol Sander. I dont risk anything but my foam plane. So even our beloved foamys are important to us, Is not that I am doing wingsuit stuff.
Old May 15, 2011, 03:38 PM
www.shop.trisembly.co.za
South Africa
Joined Oct 2005
1,570 Posts
Awesome stuff!

Man I need to get me a wing!
rcimports is offline Find More Posts by rcimports
Old May 15, 2011, 07:34 PM
CF-JUL
Quebec, Canada
Joined May 2010
35 Posts
Now that is just awesome !
julienjj is offline Find More Posts by julienjj
Old May 15, 2011, 07:46 PM
Fly like never crash as always
Rio de Janeiro
Joined Mar 2007
275 Posts
te felicito. ballsiest flight I ever saw... we know itīs only foam and silicon chips but it always gives us the butterflies... you totally changed my way of thinking about 2.4 GHz rc.
tascheri is offline Find More Posts by tascheri
Old May 16, 2011, 07:52 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,211 Posts
Great job! Perfect timing for me too! I am in the process of tweaking my boosted FASST system and this is a great confidence builder. I won't be going anywhere near that range but want to be sure I don't have any issues with a few miles. I totally agree that the LRS that are designed from the ground up and have less chance of an issue, and I considered getting one. But, none of them are compatible with my radio (12FG in 12 channel mode) so I am going to go the boosted route.

One thing of note, the 1 watt amp I have (from DIY Drones) says it has a 100mw input max. My 12FG is rated at 100mw, so I use approx 4 feet of RG-174 between the radio and amp so I don't use an attenuator.

Question, How do you aim your patch? Is it on an antenna tracker or do you just aim it manually and watch the rssi? I would really like to see a demo of a similar flight but using a boosted 2.4 with an omni antenna. I will probably use this setup so I don't have to worry about aiming the tx antenna (I know it won't have the same range, but it should be good enough for what I want to do)

Awesome on the retracts on the wing! I have often considered doing that on my Ritewing. May have to give it a try now.
techspy is offline Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Old May 16, 2011, 07:56 AM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Retracts on a Ritewing? Oh my, I sure hope CK doesn't read this topic

Cheers,

Sander - ImmersionRC
ssassen is offline Find More Posts by ssassen
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 16, 2011, 08:22 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,211 Posts
yeah yeah... Well, to be fair, it isn't a Zepher, it is a limited run IYF cut for FPV. Maybe he will let it slide
techspy is offline Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Old May 16, 2011, 09:25 AM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
Quote:
Question, How do you aim your patch? Is it on an antenna tracker or do you just aim it manually and watch the rssi? I would really like to see a demo of a similar flight but using a boosted 2.4 with an omni antenna. I will probably use this setup so I don't have to worry about aiming the tx antenna (I know it won't have the same range, but it should be good enough for what I want to do)
I watch the antenna tracker direction. But I also fly on a very straight line to the target waypoint set on the OSD. If you look at the video the plane passed exactly over the same position it landed on the way back. On the OSD you can see two lines moving around the center flight path marker. The shorter line is the waypoint direction and larger one is home indicator. So if I keep both 180° away the plane tracks the line. I also can switch from time to time to a "radar" screen which has also waypoints marked at 10(1), 20(2), 30(3), 40(4), and 50(0)km The main screen only points to the latest in order to keep it less cluttered.
About the retracts on my maxi... It is weighting 3kg. So hand launch could be a pain. bungee launch is not an option because It could interfere with other people using the flying field. And I have a very nice runaway to take off. So Landing gear seemed to be my best option, I used a weak one because I only need it for take off, the landings are on the belly.
Old May 16, 2011, 10:32 PM
USA, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2008
1,517 Posts
Awesome , man! The new sensors are doing great job in the cloud and rain I see . Could you bring back in stock now together with the version 5 the Current Sensor and the Plug In Ready Version of your GPS Receiver, please !

I was thinking ..you could try 2W booster also, I have one on my old Futaba
http://cgi.ebay.com/Stronger-2W-33DB...item4152477db2
Cheers,
Georgi
tushev is offline Find More Posts by tushev
Last edited by tushev; May 16, 2011 at 11:49 PM.
Old May 17, 2011, 12:19 PM
Joined Oct 2007
1,310 Posts
Georgi, Everything will be on stock by the end of this month.
Thanks for the 2W amp link, already bought. Maybe runing it on 5V instead of 6V could make it more reliable at the expense of having less power. Or running it 6V for my next distance tests
Old May 17, 2011, 12:23 PM
master of the universe
USA, CA, Novato
Joined Jul 2008
3,077 Posts
well if you get a better one i'd be happy to buy the old used one. PM me let me know.

captaingeek is offline Find More Posts by captaingeek