Old Dec 11, 2014, 07:10 PM
"Free" in Christ! #F3P
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2012
967 Posts
Question
Modern F3P ESCs?

Hey guys!

I have been using about 5 gram 6amp ESCs on my F3P planes, but I have decided: It is time for an upgrade! I am in the middle of making a sub 70 gram F3P plane. I will be using either a Rimfire 150 or an Eflite 180 motor on it and I want a light ESC.
It seems that a lot of people are flying with either the YEP 7s or the YGE 7. What is the process for working with these ESCs? Are there better ESCs? Will I need a BEC? Will I need diodes?
If another thread talks about this please direct me to it.

Thanks guys!

Free
Free is online now Find More Posts by Free
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2014, 07:31 PM
Massachussets
Joined Nov 2005
267 Posts
The Dymond D47 servos are rated up to 9v. The JR 188 although not rated for HV will work.
There are probably other non-rated servos that will work at a full 2s.
wingster is offline Find More Posts by wingster
Old Dec 11, 2014, 07:45 PM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,382 Posts
The Times They Are a-Changin' if we're powering our F3P planes with an Eflite 180. If you poke around here, you can find pictures of how to wire your servos for 2S without subjecting your ESC to 2S.
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire
Old Dec 11, 2014, 08:10 PM
"Free" in Christ! #F3P
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2012
967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisquire View Post
The Times They Are a-Changin' if we're powering our F3P planes with an Eflite 180. If you poke around here, you can find pictures of how to wire your servos for 2S without subjecting your ESC to 2S.
Haha, I want to use a lighter motor, but I may have to use a 180, we'll see.

Thank you for the info on the servos, I will use a Dymond 4.7s and Turngy 2.9 gram servos.

Any idea if and how to program the YEP 7?

Free
Old Dec 11, 2014, 08:50 PM
Massachussets
Joined Nov 2005
267 Posts
Free

You can use the Yep programming card or the YGE programming card since the YEPs are copies of the YGEs. I think you can also program manually from the transmitter.

You can tap into the 8.4v wires between the battery and the ESC with magnet wire. Run the magnet wire to the receiver . You can also run the wire directly to servos. On the Hobbyking site the YEP 7 has a file with a wiring diagram. Ignore the controller that they show in the diagram. Assuming you have a receiver that can withstand 8.4v you can ignore the BEC in the diagram as well.
wingster is offline Find More Posts by wingster
Last edited by wingster; Dec 11, 2014 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Hit save by mistake.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 09:47 PM
United States, WA, North Bend
Joined Dec 2002
101 Posts
Free, I have been flying with the yep7 it does not have a bec so everything gets 7.4 volts. The small spektrum receivers 6300 or 6310 are rated for 9volts and the 2.9g Turnigy digital servos, no. 1290 runs great on 7.4V. These are super servos and have connectors that fit these receivers. I have never had to program this ESC.

Vince
Vince Caluori is offline Find More Posts by Vince Caluori
Old Dec 11, 2014, 09:58 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
17,535 Posts
Get the program card. It is very easy to mess up the programming and end up with it in heli mode.
Only way I have found to get it back to airplane mode is with the card.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Dec 12, 2014, 12:21 AM
"Free" in Christ! #F3P
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2012
967 Posts
Wow guys y'all are great! Thank you very much!

I am planning on ordering a(maybe a few) YEP 7 from HK and also a programing card. Is this the correct one: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=36896

I am running these servos, they are the digital servos that some other pilots have used with great success.

I am also running a Spektrum AR6300, so it should be able to handle 8.4V?

Thanks guys! Anything else I should know?

Free
Old Dec 12, 2014, 01:25 AM
Joined Mar 2009
41 Posts
The yep programming card will not work with YEP 7 speed controllers ,the PDF is the manual for those tiny controllers.
@ Free, using d47 servos will kill your 70g project... 15 g of servos + 1,5 g YEP with wires >16,5g.
My 6 a plush have 2,5 g with wires and I use blue arrow 3g digital MG servos that means 11,5 g.......- 5g
Under 70 g planes are very slow and you manage also with spektrum a2010 servos for the tail and one a 2020 for the ailerons.
If you want to use YEP>YGE 7 buy an ultralight ubec from Finnspeed or use a 5v 1a voltage regulator
bicutz is offline Find More Posts by bicutz
Old Dec 12, 2014, 01:32 AM
Joined Dec 2002
17,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free View Post
Wow guys y'all are great! Thank you very much!

I am planning on ordering a(maybe a few) YEP 7 from HK and also a programing card. Is this the correct one: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=36896

I am running these servos, they are the digital servos that some other pilots have used with great success.

I am also running a Spektrum AR6300, so it should be able to handle 8.4V?

Thanks guys! Anything else I should know?

Free
That is the correct programming card.

The 6300 can take 8.4 volts, but I don't think those TGY servos will.

I add a BEC to my YEP/YGE speed controls, I can post some pics and give you a link to the parts over the weekend. Weighs almost nothing.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 01:46 AM
Joined Dec 2002
17,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicutz View Post
The yep programming card will not work with YEP 7 speed controllers ,the PDF is the manual for those tiny controllers.
@ Free, using d47 servos will kill your 70g project... 15 g of servos + 1,5 g YEP with wires >16,5g.
My 6 a plush have 2,5 g with wires and I use blue arrow 3g digital MG servos that means 11,5 g.......- 5g
Under 70 g planes are very slow and you manage also with spektrum a2010 servos for the tail and one a 2020 for the ailerons.
If you want to use YEP>YGE 7 buy an ultralight ubec from Finnspeed or use a 5v 1a voltage regulator
I have to disagree on the programming for the YEP/YGE.
The card works on the 7A, and the programming on the one you linked to does not match the YGE stick programming manual (you can find it on HK site)
Old Dec 12, 2014, 02:13 AM
"Free" in Christ! #F3P
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2012
967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicutz View Post
Thank you Bicutz, I appreciate it. Yes, using 3 d47 would be unnecessary weight, but I am using one d47 for my ailerons, and 2.9 gram servos for the tail, a total of 10.5 grams of servos. I have lightened all my servos also so they probably weight about 10 grams for servos, I feel that that is pretty good weight for this size of plane.(If I used Spektrum servos they would weigh about 9.1 grams, so 1.4 grams is a big difference, but I will wait until I build a smaller plane until I buy those)
I am still curious, do I really need a BEC? I am hearing that I do, and that I don't. Why are both sides saying this? Can each person explain their reasoning? Thanks guys!

Free
Old Dec 12, 2014, 02:14 AM
"Free" in Christ! #F3P
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2012
967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
That is the correct programming card.

The 6300 can take 8.4 volts, but I don't think those TGY servos will.

I add a BEC to my YEP/YGE speed controls, I can post some pics and give you a link to the parts over the weekend. Weighs almost nothing.
OK, thank you! Yes I would love pictures and links! I don't feel like shorting my esc.

Free
Old Dec 12, 2014, 02:19 AM
Joined Dec 2002
17,535 Posts
D47 has no problem with 2S Lipo, but the TGY needs 5 volts.

Devin runs his on 5 volts, if that helps you decide if it is necessary
Not just because the 2S voltage is too high, but also so that servo speed is consistent as battery voltage changes.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 02:23 AM
"Free" in Christ! #F3P
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2012
967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
D47 has no problem with 2S Lipo, but the TGY needs 5 volts.

Devin runs his on 5 volts, if that helps you decide if it is necessary
Not just because the 2S voltage is too high, but also so that servo speed is consistent as battery voltage changes.
Gotcha, thanks!! I helps a little.

How do I drop the voltage? Where do I get what I need? Thanks!

Free