Old Nov 07, 2015, 12:57 PM
Find More Posts by wdac
The crazy Swede.....
Sweden, Dalarna County, Falun
Joined Jul 2015
1,400 Posts
Whoops!
Can this prop be saved at all?

its so strange, no snow, and warm temps, got +9C today, took a trip to the lake, did as usual after the first roll get in to my dinghy to pick up the Genesis, did a few by passes while i was in the dinghy, got a prop-ride and my Genesis went strait for my dinghy, backwards.... this is the result.....

can this prop be saved at all? the "tips" of both blades have been pushed "forward" lucky my dinghy is plastic...
wdac is offline Find More Posts by wdac
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2015, 03:01 PM
Find More Posts by 785boats
RELAX. You'll live longer
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
4,151 Posts
Easily.
Don't use pliers or hammers or anything . I'm surprised there are no nicks or chips in it. Simply lay the prop on some smooth soft wood & with your thumb in the cup where the trailing edge bends, press down firmly while lifting the hub to straighten out that trailing edge first. Then repeat the process as you roll the blade to the leading edge The tips are soft & will bend easily with too much pressure so take it easy. The trick is to end up with both blades the same.

I'm still surprised st how you are running a lifting prop on a cat. They are usually run on riggers & hydros.

Cheers.
Paul
785boats is offline Find More Posts by 785boats
Old Nov 07, 2015, 03:21 PM
Find More Posts by wdac
The crazy Swede.....
Joined Jul 2015
1,400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 785boats View Post
Easily.
Don't use pliers or hammers or anything . I'm surprised there are no nicks or chips in it. Simply lay the prop on some smooth soft wood & with your thumb in the cup where the trailing edge bends, press down firmly while lifting the hub to straighten out that trailing edge first. Then repeat the process as you roll the blade to the leading edge The tips are soft & will bend easily with too much pressure so take it easy. The trick is to end up with both blades the same.

I'm still surprised st how you are running a lifting prop on a cat. They are usually run on riggers & hydros.

Cheers.
Paul
thanks i will try it

well, its not running perfect, and its sketchy as hell if its not mirror like water. but if mirror like its fast, rely fast with nice hull lift and running.. have you seen my video with that lifter prop?
Old Nov 07, 2015, 03:52 PM
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
4,151 Posts
Yes I've seen a few. Some runs look good & others seem to be popping the prop out of the water a bit.
That could be what causes a lot of your flips. The tail pops up so the nose drops down & hits a bit of water & bounces up to a higher angle of attack. The air gets under the tunnel & blows the boat over. Maybe.
Old Nov 07, 2015, 03:55 PM
Find More Posts by wdac
The crazy Swede.....
Joined Jul 2015
1,400 Posts
Quote:
Yes I've seen a few. Some runs look good & others seem to be popping the prop out of the water a bit.
That could be what causes a lot of your flips. The tail pops up so the nose drops down & hits a bit of water & bounces up to a higher angle of attack. The air gets under the tunnel & blows the boat over. Maybe.
thats very accurate, thats whats happends, i do know now after some one, dont remeber who but told me its a lifter, then i did understand why the boat behaves like it dose, and iam a sucker for speed, and trying... so you will see me try things thats not supposed to be used on my bosts :P
Old Nov 07, 2015, 04:21 PM
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
4,151 Posts
I don't have a genesis myself, but there are a couple in our club.
An Octura M445, M545 & maybe an M645 would work well with the set up you have in that boat.
But you may need to adjust the COG & strut angle or depth, because they won't have as much lift & the nose may tend to come up a bit.
Old Nov 07, 2015, 04:49 PM
Find More Posts by wdac
The crazy Swede.....
Joined Jul 2015
1,400 Posts
Quote:
I don't have a genesis myself, but there are a couple in our club.
An Octura M445, M545 & maybe an M645 would work well with the set up you have in that boat.
But you may need to adjust the COG & strut angle or depth, because they won't have as much lift & the nose may tend to come up a bit.
i have X440/M440, M445, its not enuff pitch for me, iam going to try a M645/X645.

but iam runing on borrowed time, we havent got any snow yet, witch is strange, but it will be here any moment now. so i have a list of things i will order this winter

EDIT: and i will build my own Cat this winter, i have made all the templets for the framework and "boarding" but i will head down to the RC shop and buy some ply and start cutting.

EDIT2: every prop i run i change my strut setup, due to the bow lift i want and running hight due to dia /blade size.

EDIT3: i will order at ABC prop also with rake 17. Model number 1815-17-45
Last edited by wdac; Nov 07, 2015 at 05:06 PM.
Old Nov 08, 2015, 09:51 AM
Find More Posts by wdac
The crazy Swede.....
Joined Jul 2015
1,400 Posts
results, it worked as 785boats said, tho its not that ezy as it sounds.

yes the blades are softer than you think, but the problem is to know how the blades schould bee rather than re-shape them.

the first blade was harder to reshape than the second blade on the prop.

prop works now, but its not good as it was before i rammed the dinghy.. ofc idi never expect that to bee but...
Old Nov 08, 2015, 11:25 AM
Find More Posts by Dennis Manning
RcBoater
Joined Feb 2014
722 Posts
saved prop

Time to bit the bullet. Trouble is, it maybe out of balance after you finger push the blades. You most likely go to the European market as it is close to you.
Dennis Manning is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Manning
Old Nov 08, 2015, 11:27 AM
Find More Posts by wdac
The crazy Swede.....
Joined Jul 2015
1,400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Manning View Post
Time to bit the bullet. Trouble is, it maybe out of balance after you finger push the blades. You most likely go to the European market as it is close to you.
dont have that many running days left, still running on borrowed time, still no snow... stange... tho i have a few that i have looked at i will order