New Products Flash Sale
Thread Tools
Old Aug 09, 2015, 11:08 AM
MIGPILOT44 is offline
Find More Posts by MIGPILOT44
Registered User
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2013
602 Posts
Help!
Painting Funkey Fuselage - What To Use?

Hello all, for my next build I'm planning to buy an unpainted Funkey fuselage and paint it myself. I'm still undecided if I want to stick with another 550 or make the jump to a 600. I've done some airbrush work in the past but I am far from being an artist. I've mostly used automotive based paints and processes but this paint is quite expensive and buying it in smaller quantities is sometimes not an option.

I was wondering what everyone is using these days as far as paint? What brands should I research? Are they water based paints? How are they thinned and what is used for clean up? I don't need a paint that is fuel proof as this will be an electric heli.

I was also wondering if anyone has ever clear coated over Monokote or Coverite trim tape. This is the self adhesive color sheeting usually sold in 36" lengths by about 4" wide. It would appear that one could use this for striping over a base coat followed by a clearcoat. Its very thin and forms nicely to a curve. Just to clarify, I would be using an airbrush to apply the paint and clearcoat. I have a decent airbrush set up that works quite nicely and is capable of far more than what my talents are with it.

Any help on paint selection would be a great help.
MIGPILOT44 is offline Find More Posts by MIGPILOT44
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2015, 12:04 PM
krc59diesel is online now
Find More Posts by krc59diesel
use mike while supplies last
United States, OH
Joined Jun 2013
337 Posts
i bought a pre-painted fuselage but had to actually extend the tail section because the mechanics were about 3 inches too long. after making the section i went to smyth auto parts to their paint department. they color matched the paint and mixed it up and put the base color into an aerosol can. then i bought a can of clear coat to put on next and it turned out great. i think the total cost of paint and clear was around $35. of course i have plenty left. im sure that is enough to do a whole fuselage. just an option, and automotive paint will definitely have the gloss and durability.
krc59diesel is online now Find More Posts by krc59diesel
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 09, 2015, 12:36 PM
MIGPILOT44 is offline
Find More Posts by MIGPILOT44
Registered User
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2013
602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krc59diesel View Post
i bought a pre-painted fuselage but had to actually extend the tail section because the mechanics were about 3 inches too long. after making the section i went to smyth auto parts to their paint department. they color matched the paint and mixed it up and put the base color into an aerosol can. then i bought a can of clear coat to put on next and it turned out great. i think the total cost of paint and clear was around $35. of course i have plenty left. im sure that is enough to do a whole fuselage. just an option, and automotive paint will definitely have the gloss and durability.
Thanks for the reply. I've heard good things about the color matched paints and the convenience of putting them into aerosol. I've considered this option as well. Something to think about I suppose. However I really like the results I get from from airbrush.

This is an option, thanks again for the reply.
MIGPILOT44 is offline Find More Posts by MIGPILOT44
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2015, 04:02 PM
krc59diesel is online now
Find More Posts by krc59diesel
use mike while supplies last
United States, OH
Joined Jun 2013
337 Posts
just wondering what you decided to do as far as the painting goes. would like to see some pics of the finished results.
krc59diesel is online now Find More Posts by krc59diesel
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2015, 08:47 AM
justy g is offline
Find More Posts by justy g
Burning & Turning
justy g's Avatar
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2007
1,218 Posts
Hi

I used auto motive paint for my Hughes build. I first used filler primer, then a base coat and then a clear on top.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=66
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=67
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=80

There is a guy called Satsuma over on the scalehelis forum who is a very talented painter and he might be able to give you some good advice.

Hope this helps
justy g is offline Find More Posts by justy g
Last edited by justy g; Sep 10, 2015 at 08:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2015, 02:57 PM
JLogan is offline
Find More Posts by JLogan
AMA#313760
JLogan's Avatar
United States, MI, Taylor
Joined May 2009
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIGPILOT44 View Post
Hello all, for my next build I'm planning to buy an unpainted Funkey fuselage and paint it myself. I'm still undecided if I want to stick with another 550 or make the jump to a 600. I've done some airbrush work in the past but I am far from being an artist. I've mostly used automotive based paints and processes but this paint is quite expensive and buying it in smaller quantities is sometimes not an option.

I was wondering what everyone is using these days as far as paint? What brands should I research? Are they water based paints? How are they thinned and what is used for clean up? I don't need a paint that is fuel proof as this will be an electric heli.

I was also wondering if anyone has ever clear coated over Monokote or Coverite trim tape. This is the self adhesive color sheeting usually sold in 36" lengths by about 4" wide. It would appear that one could use this for striping over a base coat followed by a clearcoat. Its very thin and forms nicely to a curve. Just to clarify, I would be using an airbrush to apply the paint and clearcoat. I have a decent airbrush set up that works quite nicely and is capable of far more than what my talents are with it.

Any help on paint selection would be a great help.

Lacquer Paints : fast dry times, light weight, easy to work with.

Acrylic Paints: Mid range dry time and weight, easy to clean up, (Water)

Enamel Paints: Very long dry times, heavy weight, paint thinner to clean up .

From house paint to auto paint your good as long as you don't mix the types of paint or spray right over another type of paint( i.e. Lacquer over wet Acrylic ect)

Best paint jobs come from the work you do before you start painting and up to the primer coats. You can paint over Monokote or Coverite trim tape but be very carful until you get your clear coat covering it.

You should find some of the build threads on the internet there is a lot of good info out there to help you make a choice.

I never use the same paint myself on every aircraft I do and I use all kinds of paint. The prep work is where the good paint jobs come from.

hope this helps some?

John
JLogan is offline Find More Posts by JLogan
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2015, 09:50 PM
MIGPILOT44 is offline
Find More Posts by MIGPILOT44
Registered User
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2013
602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krc59diesel View Post
just wondering what you decided to do as far as the painting goes. would like to see some pics of the finished results.

I aplogize for not posting a reply sooner. I've been struggling with a long term chronic back problem that has kept me from doing much building, flying, or RC tinkering. I'm slowly getting the pain under control and hope to be able to get back into the workshop in the next few weeks.

Prior to getting this 600 sized heli project started, I'm contemplating first building a new workbench and work area that will be large enough to adapt to the large size of these 600 machines. I've found it difficult to switch between projects or have a long term project taking up space with my current work area.

Once I have my work area set up I think I can start looking more seriously at what paint to use for this scale project. I'm currently leaning more towards automotive finishes than anything else but that could change.

Thank you to all who have replied and offered their suggestions. This is all very helpful information and I really appreciate all of you taking the time to reply.

Everyone take care!
MIGPILOT44 is offline Find More Posts by MIGPILOT44
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2015, 11:26 PM
krc59diesel is online now
Find More Posts by krc59diesel
use mike while supplies last
United States, OH
Joined Jun 2013
337 Posts
sorry to hear about your back issues. i went down that road with pain management for about a year. i decided to have the surgery in 2010 and it was a success. hope you get to a solution that works. best of luck!
krc59diesel is online now Find More Posts by krc59diesel
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2015, 10:55 AM
MIGPILOT44 is offline
Find More Posts by MIGPILOT44
Registered User
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2013
602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krc59diesel View Post
sorry to hear about your back issues. i went down that road with pain management for about a year. i decided to have the surgery in 2010 and it was a success. hope you get to a solution that works. best of luck!
Thanks for the reply. I've had 2 different surgeries back in 2003. I never really did get any better. Surgery is no longer an option for me. I'm glad to hear it worked for you. It truly can be a misserable situation.
MIGPILOT44 is offline Find More Posts by MIGPILOT44
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2015, 01:13 AM
ASTREA1 is offline
Find More Posts by ASTREA1
A&P in training
ASTREA1's Avatar
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Dec 2008
1,278 Posts
OP, did you ever get the fuselage all painted up? I am looking into the FK 550 Jet Ranger (Unpainted) and wanted to see if you ever finished yours.
ASTREA1 is offline Find More Posts by ASTREA1
Reply With Quote


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted WTB Funkey Jet Ranger Fuselage(painted) for the Freya. Bunjas Aircraft - Fuel - Helis (FS/W) 0 Jul 26, 2015 11:14 PM
Question painting a CL plane. what do i use? cale10 Control Line 56 Jul 06, 2015 08:23 PM
Discussion What technique do you use to paint and what paint do you use? patternut F3A Pattern 3 Dec 31, 2014 01:00 PM
Discussion Fuselage, what paint to use sruelle Scale Sailplanes 17 Jul 01, 2010 06:55 PM
Discussion Painting Chinook Fuselage: What colour? What paint type? Easiest way to paint? j_js1 Scale Helicopters 5 Apr 27, 2009 05:54 AM