Old Jan 10, 2015, 06:02 AM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
3,576 Posts
Build Log
Saab Gripen FS-2020

Saab Gripen FS-2020

This from Wikipedia ... The Flygsystem 2020 ("Flight System 2020", abbreviated FS 2020), is an ongoing project by the Swedish Air Force to develop a stealth fighter by 2020

Can’t find much info on this one but have started my drawings

Am looking at making the wing as part of the fuselage (Depron of course)

Please comment or if you have any other info please let me know

Lockey
Lockey is offline Find More Posts by Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Lockey; Jan 18, 2015 at 07:55 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2015, 11:32 AM
Sverige, Västra Götalands Län, Trollhättan
Joined Oct 2006
402 Posts
Here is a video from the team at Linköping University that made a flying demonstrator for this design.
Swedish Stealth Fighter Jet (4 min 40 sec)

I was thinking along the same lines regarding the wing spar. I would use a 6x1mm CF strip as spar in the wing and sandwitch it between two ply formers in the middle.

However, when I build this plane it will probably be a pusher so using a straight spar right through won't be an issue
kalleman is offline Find More Posts by kalleman
Last edited by kalleman; Jan 10, 2015 at 05:27 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 07:20 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
3,576 Posts
Thanks for the video kalleman, not seen that before

I did wonder about making it a pusher too ?

Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Easy Autogyro
Old Jan 11, 2015, 06:55 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
3,576 Posts
Been doing a bit more work on it, I think a little more shape to it ... coming along nicely

Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Lockey; Jan 11, 2015 at 07:02 AM.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 03:39 PM
Sverige, Västra Götalands Län, Trollhättan
Joined Oct 2006
402 Posts
Looking good! Comming long nicely!
kalleman is offline Find More Posts by kalleman
Old Jan 11, 2015, 07:30 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
3,576 Posts
Changed the design (again) ... trying for an easy build with the wings now part of the bottom fuselage so that everything can be built into the fuselage before fitting the top/s in place

Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2015, 08:26 AM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,328 Posts
Lockey,

Been lurking since you started this project. It is AWESOME! I've been tied up, trying to keep up with you on the Gripen build. Can't wait to reach retirement status! lol I'll have to get back with you a little later on you design set up. Many questions and suggestios.

Ksqm
ksqm is offline Find More Posts by ksqm
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:34 AM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,328 Posts
Lockey,

Okay, done with my torture (work out) session. Some things to consider to optimize as an EDF. You can design for a certain size plane or design for the EDF unit you plan to use. At any rate, you'll have to match up the inlet area to the Fan Swept Area of the EDF. Don't know what your background is with EDFs, but you would probably benefit a lot by moving the thread to the Scratchbuilt EDF forum. You have a great bunch of guys who could offer you much more than I could. Years of hands on experience, scratch building EDFs.

In regards to integrating the wings with the bottom fuse, I'd go with keeping the wings separate from the bottom fuse. Use the wings to tie in the top and bottom fuses via the formers. If you did a pusher, you would have a single plane form for the wing. Do that and open up the center just enough for ducting and your EDF. Use a main spar tied to a former like you already have. Add a second spar tie in, towards the front of the wing. You would have fillets both top and bottom for additional support.

Ksqm
Old Jan 13, 2015, 08:11 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
3,576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksqm View Post
In regards to integrating the wings with the bottom fuse, I'd go with keeping the wings separate from the bottom fuse. Use the wings to tie in the top and bottom fuses via the formers. If you did a pusher, you would have a single plane form for the wing. Do that and open up the center just enough for ducting and your EDF. Use a main spar tied to a former like you already have. Add a second spar tie in, towards the front of the wing. You would have fillets both top and bottom for additional support.

Ksqm
Thanks for the tips Aaron, what you suggest is basically what we are doing on the std Gripen

I was going for something a little different and experimental and for ease of building, maybe it will work ... maybe it won't

I did a similar build to what you suggest on my Dualis with interchangeable wings with 2 spars (see pics)

I will play some more and see how it develops

Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2015, 08:22 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
3,576 Posts
Quote:
Lockey,
Okay, done with my torture (work out) session. Some things to consider to optimize as an EDF. You can design for a certain size plane or design for the EDF unit you plan to use. At any rate, you'll have to match up the inlet area to the Fan Swept Area of the EDF. Don't know what your background is with EDFs, but you would probably benefit a lot by moving the thread to the Scratchbuilt EDF forum. You have a great bunch of guys who could offer you much more than I could. Years of hands on experience, scratch building EDFs.
Ksqm
As you can see from the pics, the area of the inlets (x2) are larger in area than the EDF ... Fan size shown in the pic is 72mm

I have been on the EDF section before, and whilst the guys there are well meaning, they tend to get too technical for me ... I like to try different things ... sometimes they work and sometimes they don't

All I know is that it is better to have a nice smooth transition through the inlet and it must be at least 100% of the fan and the outlet must also be as smooth as possible with around 85-90 % outlet ... both to have as few obstructions as possible

Maybe I will go with a pusher to start with ??

Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2015, 08:48 PM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,328 Posts
Lockey,

LOL!!! Yes they can be technical, but they have been there and done it. I have some reference threads, that put's things in laymens terms. I'll send them when I get home. I've some 50mm Don's RC EDF units. I'll check the specs 'cause this plane NEEDS to be an EDF Plane. Awesome project!

Ksqm
Old Jan 13, 2015, 08:56 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
3,576 Posts
Quote:
Lockey,

LOL!!! Yes they can be technical, but they have been there and done it. I have some reference threads, that put's things in laymens terms. I'll send them when I get home. I've some 50mm Don's RC EDF units. I'll check the specs 'cause this plane NEEDS to be an EDF Plane. Awesome project!

Ksqm
Thanks mate please do send me the info, I can understand "laymans terms" (I think)

Are you going to build this one with me ? ... hope so ... you gonna use the 50 mm fan ?

I have a couple of the HK 50mm fans and one of the 64 mm ones (other is in a MIG15) and it flies well with a AUW of 1260 grams (with paint) haven't flown it since I painted it

Lockey

MIG 15 EDF (1 min 55 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Lockey; Jan 13, 2015 at 09:16 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 01:56 PM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,328 Posts
Lockey,

I haven't been able to get much sone in the last day or so, but take a look at this thread. Claus demistifies EDF basics. You can also search for other threads.

Ksqm
Old Jan 15, 2015, 07:15 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
3,576 Posts
Quote:
Lockey,

I haven't been able to get much sone in the last day or so, but take a look at this thread. Claus demistifies EDF basics. You can also search for other threads.

Ksqm
Thanks Aaron, interesting

I have almost finished the provisional plans / patterns for the FS-2020, I will get them printed and maybe start the build over the weekend ... looks like it will also take just over one and a half sheets of Depron and a sheet of card or thin plastic

I have once again done the plans on A1 size paper for printing, I find this the best size not only for commercial printing but for printing at home ... but of course, I can make them to suit Depron size sheets either

As usual, I will log the build and video the maiden and early flights and will post the plans once I am happy with the build

If anyone would like to BETA build one with me, please let me know

Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Lockey; Jan 15, 2015 at 07:22 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 08:21 AM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,328 Posts
Lockey,

You are one of those rare builder/designers, who see's what they want to build and just do it. One of the "Masters". And you have the TIME!!! You can sign me up. I have EDFs from 20mm up to 50mm. Decisions, Decisions, Decisions!!!

Ksqm