Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 25, 2013, 05:32 PM
Foamy Builder 167
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Oct 2007
167 Posts
Discussion
Has anyone used multiple Golf Shafts for Strength?

I picked up some used carbon fiber golf clubs at my local Goodwill for $2.00 each. I was thinking about how I could join two together for a longer wing when I realized they are tapered from the thick end at the grip to the thin end at the club head. If you place the thin end in the long end they fit together nicely.

Has anyone done this before?

Do you have pictures, or videos?

How big could a plane be built using multiple shafts?

Is there a better way to join golf club shafts?
NCNeal is offline Find More Posts by NCNeal
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2013, 10:02 PM
United States, MI, Warren
Joined Aug 2011
641 Posts
Or maybe use them as booms.As in twin booms,if they don't weigh too much that is.
Just thinking.
maurice076 is offline Find More Posts by maurice076
Old Aug 26, 2013, 01:10 AM
Build, Fly, Smile
United States, KY, Henderson
Joined Aug 2012
2 Posts
Arrow shafts

I like to use arrow shafts. I can usually find them for $3 at Walmart. Haven't tried joining them, but since they are tubes, I suppose a short length of smaller diameter CF between the 2 would work
FoamFlite.com is offline Find More Posts by FoamFlite.com
Old Aug 26, 2013, 07:09 AM
into the wild blue yonder
United States, OR, Dundee
Joined Dec 2010
629 Posts
fishing poles

I myself had a project and needed some carbon fiber, for the tail boom on the Gumby my neibor gave me part of a fishing pole that he had. Worked great.
Barney Boy is offline Find More Posts by Barney Boy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 Valley View aerial
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:31 AM
Romans 8:34-39
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,366 Posts
it'll work just be careful that the join doesn't split, so wrap it in some strapping tape or something, maybe sleeve it in some aluminum around the outside.

Ben
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:11 AM
Old Prop Buster
United States, CA, Grass Valley
Joined Dec 2009
660 Posts
NCNeal:
Yes I did a pod and boom non powered glider with a 3 iron from the thrift store. I worked better than the arrow shaft I tried to join together to get the length that I wanted. With the golf shaft I did a v tail first that I had trouble to keep from spinning. Next I did a regular T tail and it worked good. I can't recall exactly how I attached the tail but I know it was all with gorilla glue. The glider was okay but I had better gliders so it got scraped. I was replacing a badly damaged fuselage on a foam Swift glider. A fun project that got a lot of chuckles at our flying field.
Gary
Sir Dumb Thumb is offline Find More Posts by Sir Dumb Thumb
Old Jun 10, 2014, 07:02 AM
Bristol, UK
Joined Jul 2009
58 Posts
Hi, I want to join two shafts, wide end to wide end, creating a tapered spar for foam wings.
Any good ideas on how to do this out there?
Ben
bennyh is offline Find More Posts by bennyh
Old Jun 10, 2014, 07:46 AM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyh View Post
Hi, I want to join two shafts, wide end to wide end, creating a tapered spar for foam wings.
Any good ideas on how to do this out there?
Ben
I'd just be carving a wooden plug to fit the shafts and gluing everything together with epoxy.
The plug would not need to be a perfect fit because the epoxy will fill the gaps.
Whiskers is online now Find More Posts by Whiskers
Old Jun 10, 2014, 01:15 PM
Bristol, UK
Joined Jul 2009
58 Posts
The wood and epoxy matrix will need to take a fair bit of force in the dynamic soaring circuit / crashing circuit. Doesn't feel like a strong join. How about steel? I usually use Ballast anyway.
bennyh is offline Find More Posts by bennyh
Old Jun 10, 2014, 05:01 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,209 Posts
You did not specify the application, which is indeed one that will generate high loadings.
I would guarantee that the CF tubes would fail adjacent to the plug if said plug was made of anything reasonably strong. This assumes that the CF tubes are butt joined and epoxied as part of the assembly.
Whiskers is online now Find More Posts by Whiskers