HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 23, 2013, 09:44 PM
Lansing, KS, USA
Joined Jan 2002
1,433 Posts
Discussion
100" Profile Yak

I came across a set of wings and tail surfaces for a large 3D model on Craig's List last year and finally got around to making something out of them. Since I had a nice big cowl for a 35% Yak 54 I made the profile fuselage look like a Yak. The basis for the fuse was a sheet of 1.5" foam board from Home Depot with pieces of 1/16" plywood on the sides and top. A few hardwood blocks were installed for the gear and wing tube. At this stage the fuse is 65" long.
radfordc is offline Find More Posts by radfordc
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2013, 09:47 PM
Lansing, KS, USA
Joined Jan 2002
1,433 Posts
The cowl serves to cover the engine and other stuff hanging off the nose. The engine is a DLE 55RA.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 09:49 PM
Lansing, KS, USA
Joined Jan 2002
1,433 Posts
The finished weight is just a hair over 20 lbs and the plane flys fantastic.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 02:11 PM
United States, GA, Loganville
Joined Aug 2012
234 Posts
That is simply awesome! Would loved to have seen a much more in depth design and build thread v
bigblueswope is offline Find More Posts by bigblueswope
Old Jul 24, 2013, 08:33 PM
United States, UT, Farmington
Joined Aug 2011
1,342 Posts
Very cool. Well done!
sirzeppu is online now Find More Posts by sirzeppu
Old Jul 24, 2013, 08:36 PM
Lansing, KS, USA
Joined Jan 2002
1,433 Posts
As far as designing, I started with the set of wings that I had. They were for a 102" Extra 260 ARF by Pacific Planes. Taking away the width of the fuselage left me with a 94" span. I then found a set of Yak 54 three views and imported them into my CAD program and scaled them to 96" span (the wings plus the thickness of the profile fuselage). I drew and printed out the profile of the fuselage accounting for the motor mount and other items of equipment. The profile printout was used to cut out the plywood pieces and foam core.

I added hardwood blocks to the foam core for the landing gear, the wing tube, and the tail wheel mount. The rest was simple...glue the plywood to the foam with Gorilla Glue, cut out the foam where needed, and cover.

I bought the carbon fiber wing and tail tubes from a seller on ebay ($90 shipped for a 40mm wing tube and two 14mm tail tubes), made the landing gear from some 1/8" aluminum plate.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 03:29 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,949 Posts
It is amazing I just trashed my 3dhs 70 slick. I'm thinking about doing something similar with my remaining parts. I still have wings, cowl, elevators rear horizontal stab, 2/3 of a wing tube... I would also love if you would post more pics and expound on your build or at least be available to field questions when they arise. When I get around to starting I'll post a build thread.

Thanks for the ideas and your build looks awesome!
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Jul 25, 2013, 03:55 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,518 Posts
Do it Nate.
It would be really nice to hear more about your build
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Jul 26, 2013, 08:25 AM
Lansing, KS, USA
Joined Jan 2002
1,433 Posts
Here is a drawing of the basic structure. It turned out that my plane was just a little tail heavy so extending the nose another inch or two forward wouldn't hurt.

I am happy to answer any specific questions if I can.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 11:10 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,342 Posts
I love it! Just finished a wrongwayrc.com 50cc profile kit. It is incredible fun. You can see the build thread in the balsa builders forum. It weighs 16 lbs on a DLE 55 and has a 2040 sq inch wing. I love profiles!
Old Jul 28, 2013, 12:05 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radfordc View Post
Here is a drawing of the basic structure. It turned out that my plane was just a little tail heavy so extending the nose another inch or two forward wouldn't hurt.

I am happy to answer any specific questions if I can.
Thank you. I plan to take your overall concept and make it a slick profile instead of a yak. As far as balance goes... I doubt mine will come out tail heavy. It is still going to have the same motor on it (DLE 35ra). It should be ballistic. I'm hoping it will come in at around 9 pounds. From what I have heard the motor makes around 20 pounds of thrust
Old Jul 28, 2013, 11:37 AM
Lansing, KS, USA
Joined Jan 2002
1,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirzeppu View Post
I love it! Just finished a wrongwayrc.com 50cc profile kit. It is incredible fun. You can see the build thread in the balsa builders forum. It weighs 16 lbs on a DLE 55 and has a 2040 sq inch wing. I love profiles!
Nice airplane!
Old Jul 28, 2013, 05:54 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radfordc View Post
Nice airplane!
Thanks. I wish more folks knew how awesome slabs are...I have a little 40 size that is incredible fun as well. It is always good to see threads like the OPs on RCG.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 10:05 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,949 Posts
radfordc is there a chance you could summarize and take some pics of how you attached the wings? I'd like to gather some ideas. I have never done a profile of any kind before.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 10:17 AM
Lansing, KS, USA
Joined Jan 2002
1,433 Posts
Because the wings were designed for a full fuselage that was tapered, I had to adapt them to fit against a flat profile fuse. I added a wedge of foam with a plywood root rib.