HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jul 09, 2013, 02:51 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
Yippee!
TransAmerica Tour 2014 Showcasing MA and Helping Our American Heroes "Team Spirit"

Our plan is to fly a gas powered plane, a Sig Rascal 110 with a 26cc engine (TBD) from CA to NC in an effort to promote model aviation in a collaborative effort with AMA's National Model Aviation Day and to raise money for the Wounded Warrior Project (WWP).

Our plan is to involve the local media to showcase model aviation and to help raise money for the WWP. The fundraising goal for the WWP is $10,000.

The gas powered plane called "American Spirit" will take off from the Muroc Model Masters (MMM) field at Edwards AFB, California in April of 2014 and begin its journey east to the Riverside Aeromodelers Society (RAMS) in North Carolina.

American Spirit will fly along a predetermined route to the next club that has volunteered to take part. The plane will land, refueled, and the next team consisting of a driver, spotter, and pilot will take over. The team that takes over will be from the next club on the route. This way they are familiar with its location and the peculiars about landing at that field. We would not want pilots to be landing at unfamiliar fields. And if they have to land sooner than expected, they know the area and its alternate landing locations. This will repeat across the USA. We will encourage participants along the route to contact their local media outlets and explain the TransAmerica Tour 2014 to them. Teams will be provided talking points about the AMA, model aviation and the Wounded Warriors Project and how their donations help our American heroes in their daily lives.

Airplanes, engines, radios, electronics, cars and all support equipment is hoped to be provided by potential sponsors of TransAmerica Tour 2014. We are also working with a television production company to film this tour and a number of model aviation events in 2014 to help showcase model aviation and bring it to prime time television.

If you would like to participate by flying American Pulse and live in one of the following states; CA, AZ, NM, TX, LA, AR, MS, AL, GA, SC and NC then please post in this thread or PM me. I'll need the following info from you:

1. Name and zip code of your club

2. Point of Contact (POC) name, email address and phone number

3. Pilot's name, the spotter's name and the driver's name. This can come at a later time

If you would like to help but do not live in one of those states, I will provide a link so you can donate directly to the WMP in the name of TransAmerica Tour 2014.

Thanks in advance and if you have any questions please let me know. I think this will be a fun and exciting project and it is for such a good cause. Our troops have sacrificed so much and many live with the scars of war every day of their lives both inside and outside.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Murocflyer; Aug 05, 2013 at 10:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2013, 09:28 PM
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Murocflyer; Aug 05, 2013 at 10:39 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 11:11 AM
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
The ground work has been established and we are ready to start recruiting clubs/volunteers for the TransAmerica Tour 2014. If you would like to volunteer in this effort, please let me know in this post, PM, or email. Please use TransAmerica Tour 2014 and your town & state in the subject line.

Right now the route is a clean slate. As clubs begin to volunteer, we will start targeting certain clubs along the preferred route. If you would like to volunteer, please do so early.

Route and club participation can be seen via this map: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/vi...A.kuXQvjLfKZUE

Thanks in advance to everyone that volunteers to help out this worthy cause. As mentioned earlier our goal is to raise $10,000 for the Wounded Warrior Project and to help promote model aviation.

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Murocflyer; Jul 28, 2013 at 10:17 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:29 PM
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
I pitched this idea to the Discovery Channel folks. How cool it would be for them to film our airplane and the folks flying it across the USA. Since this will be the second time this has ever been done in the history of model aviation, I think it would definitely be interesting to see it documented on video as the plane travels across the USA and not to mention all the great guys making this happen.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Who Appreciates Your Work?
Old Jul 28, 2013, 10:19 PM
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
Plans are coming together. Website should be up and running this week.

Please let me know if you would like to take part in this exciting adventure. We could use all the help we can get. The USA is pretty big.

Thanks,

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 29, 2013, 11:27 AM
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
For those that want to hear more about this project, have a listen to episode #220 recorded last night.

http://thecrashcast.com/

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 01, 2013, 11:57 PM
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
Good news. I got a fellow club member who is more experienced than me with gas powered planes to assemble the Rascal for us.

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2013, 06:39 AM
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
We are now turning our attention toward engine choices. I am thinking a 4 stroke gas engine would be the best choice due to its fuel economy.

Any suggestions on that?

Thanks,

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2013, 06:42 AM
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
Discussion moved here: http://www.rcgroups.com/fuel-plane-talk-31/

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread