HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:51 PM
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Apr 2012
72 Posts
Discussion
10mil laminate

Has anyone used 10 mil laminate? What's everyone using on their DS foamy. I'm about to order some 3 mil for regular stuff but was wondering if I should also get some 5 or 10 mil.

Tony
Tonyatrre is offline Find More Posts by Tonyatrre
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:53 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,380 Posts
Yes, most of who've built DS foamies use 10mil in some capacity or another.
If you cover a whole wing with it, it will typically add about 10oz of weight though.
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:57 PM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,654 Posts
10 mil is harder to use than 5 mil. 5 mil gives enough performance to break 200mph, so I would suggest going with 5mil if you are not sure.
Aerogance is offline Find More Posts by Aerogance
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:09 PM
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Apr 2012
72 Posts
Great just what I need to know, thanks guys!
Tonyatrre is offline Find More Posts by Tonyatrre
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:59 PM
USA, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
1,147 Posts
You can always apply a 2nd layer of 5mil too...
macinr is offline Find More Posts by macinr
Old Feb 24, 2013, 05:46 PM
San Diego
Joined Apr 2003
4,280 Posts
get the di not the cp version
Bill L is offline Find More Posts by Bill L
Old Feb 28, 2013, 04:09 PM
Pledged to Always Chase Wind
USA, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2004
1,625 Posts
I have given up on the 10 mil covering. I guess if you are pushing foam over 200 mph it might be a requirement. For a daily flyer I do not recommend. Once it wrinkles up there is no way to repair it. No amount of heat or pressure will pull out the wrinkles out. So once you pound it in once the plane will never fly fast again until you remove the 10 mil. You can some times add a layer or cut sections out and rebuild them but good old ultra cote will keep the plane repairable and fast for a longer time. Easy to iron and look fine when patched. I will still occasionally use the 3 mil on the bottom and around leading edges. The 3 mil is still pretty easy to tear but keeps the ultracote from getting too shredded when landing in really rock areas.
deputybuzz is offline Find More Posts by deputybuzz
Old Mar 02, 2013, 06:41 PM
United States, NE, Hebron
Joined Nov 2008
986 Posts
deputy

i agree with you in that once the 10 mil i creased it is done for. what i am planing to do on my current build is use the 10mil covering just in front of the spar and back to the trailing edge and 2 inches from the wing tips. then cover the front with 2 layers of the softer 5mil. i dont think the 5 creases near as bad. also i am planing on running a piece of piano wire gooped into the leading edge this is suposed to keep the front edge firm in bad landings. so hopefuly i will get the regidity i want and the wrinkle resistance i also need.

later andrew K
57sailplane is offline Find More Posts by 57sailplane
Old Mar 02, 2013, 08:52 PM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,654 Posts
Andrew, what model are you building? Homebrew?
Aerogance is offline Find More Posts by Aerogance
Old Mar 02, 2013, 09:58 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,380 Posts
I haven't had a lot of problems with 10mil CP. Yes, you can still pound it hard enough
that it never wants to iron totally smooth again, but usually it's in a hit so hard it would
have destroyed the plane without it. I never much cared for the much stiffer DI. Hard
to get around sharp turns, and forget about even the slightest compound curve.
When an impact pulls it loose, might as well just take it off, while the CP will take
a few ironings. For my lighter weight foamies I just put a 2-3 inch wide strip of it over
the leading edge. When it gets too beat up, I heat it up, peel it off and replace.
Has taken the place of Goop in the that role. I've used it to cover the nose and
bottom of the fuse on a couple planes like my 32oz Fox, and it's held up really well
to a lot of abuse.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2013, 08:56 AM
Joined Nov 2008
986 Posts
aerogance

its a great little 60" foamie, man on man racer that i was lucky enough to get from 2 great guys in salt lake Ted and Spencer. i have made many mods to the plane and am so slow at building that is why i dont bring it up much. it will be a strictly DS machine as it will be to heavy for racing in my area.

well, i must go against the grain as far as the cp and DI.

you see the halfpipe in my identity tag. that was my first try at laminating. i didnt know what i was ordering and had never used the stuff before. just read a lot on here.

the halfpipe is covered in 10mil DI and is bent over the leading edge in one single piece the whole span. i did not no it wasnt possible to bend around corners so i made work with what i had. i covered the whole bottom atatching it with heat. then i heated it to the leading edge i then folded the lam over the top pushing it into the foam. after this i kept up whith the iron and overlaped about 2 inches on the other side. i did the reverse on the other side.

as far as stiffness and smoothness the DI rocks. but it also will crease easier because of its stiffness i think. thats why i am planning on using both i hope.

later andrew K
Old Mar 06, 2013, 09:42 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,380 Posts
Nobody said it was not possible to bend DI around curves, it's just harder.
On really thin leading edges, you might have to actually pre-crease it to
avoid getting a little bubble.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Daemon; Mar 08, 2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 10:49 PM
Joined Nov 2008
986 Posts
copy that,

i guess i just like how riged and clean the di comes out. i think its probably to each there own. i was not trying to start anything here. like i said i am going to use both the cp and di on the current plane i am working on. love trying new things.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 02:12 PM
Australia (Newcastle)
Joined Mar 2009
599 Posts
I'm moving more toward 10mil on my builds now. I get a much smoother finish and weight is not such a huge issue on a fast wing. I'm building a 60" EPP DS wing at the moment (like a Skua1500) and going 10mil all over.

I consolidated a bunch of lam film info on this thread a while back, some helpful info and links within
cleansurf2 is offline Find More Posts by cleansurf2
Old Mar 12, 2013, 10:14 PM
Where's the wind?
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2004
5,833 Posts
Need more weight? I've don't multiple layers of 10mil with sign vinyl in between.

Andrew
the_canuck is offline Find More Posts by the_canuck