HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 26, 2012, 02:32 AM
James not bond
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined May 2012
2,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazavac2302 View Post
Here is the problem that I think is important for you to know.
looks like a PID problem plus you might damaged the board somehow if you drop from that much high
jy0933 is offline Find More Posts by jy0933
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2012, 02:50 AM
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Napier
Joined Jun 2011
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebstress View Post
"Copter GCS" Where do you normally find Android App's

Or HERE for free
Thanks for that.
helidex is online now Find More Posts by helidex
Old Aug 26, 2012, 07:36 AM
The Netherlands, NH, Bussum
Joined Feb 2012
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHTizzy View Post
Ah right. Okay, well I'd saved copies of all the unchanged sketches so I put back the gps.ino by eosbandi and changed the baud in config.h back to 57600. I then switched the module back to 115200 and rebooted the fc once more. That immediately switched the gpsmodule back to 57600 so it probably doesn't need to run at 115200 anyway? Just to see if it helped I switched the Lead_Filter off as well but nothing changed, the fc can write to the gps module but it's still not reading the packets. Any more idea's or should I try the NMEA protocol instead of the MTK?
Okay did some digging and can report the following: it's definitely not just the ublox that suffers from the reset issue. In fact as far as Ive gathered most gps modules don't hold on to their settings indefinitely unless flashed and most are sold without any user flash cycles left. More on point, the LS20031 is an mtk3339 and eosbandi's gps sketch includes a comment that it's only good for the mtk3329. There are people who have claimed to have the 3339 working in binary mode but they are not specific about what it is they've got working. What I (and I'm sure others like me) are looking for is the ability to initialise the mtk339 on fc boot so it isn't reliant on user settings or the battery to hold on to the appropriate baudrate and nmea sentence settings. As it is, it works in nmea mode and will report it's position to the fc but it's far from optimal as far as cpu load goes and has an appaling accuracy regardless of the number of sats fixed...
RHTizzy is offline Find More Posts by RHTizzy
Old Aug 26, 2012, 07:37 AM
Joined Jul 2011
14 Posts
Quote:
Yes the board is disarmed.
What is your setup?
Motors,esc, and props?
Do you use GPS and Bluetooth together?
My setup:
QuadX
MultiWii 2.1
D2822/17 Brushless Outrunner 1100kv
HobbyKing 12A BlueSeries ESC
HobbyKing UBEC 3A / 2-6s LiPO
Slow Fly Electric Prop 8045
I do not have BT or GPS hooked up. Just the AIO.

First, are you 100% sure you are not accidentally disarming the board inflight?
If THROTTLE is below 1100 and YAW or ROLL is below 1100 it will disarm.

Other possible causes:
* The power supplied to the board is not stable, thus making it reboot. Check your cables and connectors. Are you using a separate UBEC?
* Something is wrong with you board, making it reboot under stress. The most likely cause is a bad soldering or a missing capasitor (causes noise -> reboot). If you got a microscope or magnifier and know what to look for you will see this relatively easy.
* Is something getting too HOT?`(Esc, ubec, AIO ?)

Try removing/disabling everything (Bluetooth, GPS etc) you don't need to fly the thing i ACRO mode and see if the problem persists!
balleperu is offline Find More Posts by balleperu
Last edited by balleperu; Aug 26, 2012 at 07:49 AM.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 08:27 AM
Advanced Monkey
United Kingdom, England
Joined Nov 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHTizzy View Post
Okay did some digging and can report the following: it's definitely not just the ublox that suffers from the reset issue. In fact as far as Ive gathered most gps modules don't hold on to their settings indefinitely unless flashed and most are sold without any user flash cycles left. More on point, the LS20031 is an mtk3339 and eosbandi's gps sketch includes a comment that it's only good for the mtk3329. There are people who have claimed to have the 3339 working in binary mode but they are not specific about what it is they've got working. What I (and I'm sure others like me) are looking for is the ability to initialise the mtk339 on fc boot so it isn't reliant on user settings or the battery to hold on to the appropriate baudrate and nmea sentence settings. As it is, it works in nmea mode and will report it's position to the fc but it's far from optimal as far as cpu load goes and has an appaling accuracy regardless of the number of sats fixed...
The Reset issue is only a problem with the ublox NEO-6M because it can't be flashed with permanent settings (not without a hardware mod).
Your MTK3329 can be flashed with firmware that has the correct settings & thanks to 'Kipkool' everything you need is HERE.
nebstress is offline Find More Posts by nebstress
Old Aug 26, 2012, 09:17 AM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2004
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadframes View Post
Hi everyone I have just uploaded the new release of megapirate 2.7 R4 and here are my settings (and its rock solid with these) Video to follow later today.

Frame: F450
Motor's: 2212-850KV
Esc's: RcTimer ESC 20A Flashed
Props: 102 X 4.5 glass fiber reinforced
Load my AIOP with MegaPirateNG 2.7 R4 , use the same PID as in post #875 on my 550 Quad with 2208 1200 kv motor, Hobbywing 12A, ESC and 8x6 prop.
LIPO 2200 3S, get 8 mins of stable flight without GPS.
almtmd is offline Find More Posts by almtmd
Last edited by almtmd; Aug 26, 2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:29 AM
Joined Feb 2010
78 Posts
Hello,
on AIOP now made my first flight test hovering at 20cm-50cm altitude and all seems working fine, except I needed to use a little bit of trim on my transmitter, but this seems to be normal beside the board should hover automatically in stabilize mode, but maybe level was not made 100% correct.

My next questions:

1- As I want to try flying in simple mode, compass module should be activated and calibrated. But as I still have no Bluetooth module, I can only connect with USB, and so moving the copter in compass calibrate mode is very difficult as the USB cable is short and can only do small eight with it - I did it and it wrote a new value into compass calibration... is that enough to fly in simple mode ?

2- Where can I connect LEDs to be always ON, when Lipo is connected ?

3- I am not sure if battery monitor option from Arducopter works in AIOP ? How to configure it in APM PLanner ?
DanielCV is offline Find More Posts by DanielCV
Last edited by DanielCV; Aug 26, 2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 12:09 PM
member of TheBlindHawks
Joined Feb 2011
181 Posts
Anyone knows a good way how to effectively shield the compass/MAG against magnetic fields induced by the powerlines? My Octo draws up to 240A on a 3S battery and when I give throttle the MAG orientation in Mission-Planner totally gets screwed up ;-)

Would a metal plate under der FlightControll work? The Powerlines pass by about 2cm under the FC.
careyer is offline Find More Posts by careyer
Old Aug 26, 2012, 12:16 PM
United Kingdom, Chesterton
Joined Oct 2010
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by careyer View Post
Anyone knows a good way how to effectively shield the compass/MAG against magnetic fields induced by the powerlines? My Octo draws up to 240A on a 3S battery and when I give throttle the MAG orientation in Mission-Planner totally gets screwed up ;-)

Would a metal plate under der FlightControll work? The Powerlines pass by about 2cm under the FC.
Are the power lines twisted? Maybe worth wrapping them up in aluminium tape? Something like this
toney is offline Find More Posts by toney
Old Aug 26, 2012, 12:17 PM
Advanced Monkey
United Kingdom, England
Joined Nov 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by careyer View Post

I don't know of any way to shield the compass, you really need to mount the mag(or FC) far away from anything that will affect it, usually 5-10cm will do it.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 01:14 PM
The Netherlands, NH, Bussum
Joined Feb 2012
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebstress View Post
The Reset issue is only a problem with the ublox NEO-6M because it can't be flashed with permanent settings (not without a hardware mod).
Your MTK3329 can be flashed with firmware that has the correct settings & thanks to 'Kipkool' everything you need is HERE.
Thanks but that isn't a solution. I have 2 units and both produce the same error at the end of what looks like a successful procedure: "flash failed, illegal sync character received". Not absolutely sure if the flash error is due to the 0 flash cycles remaining as I stated (check with a PMTK490) but neither accept the bin.

Besides that, i remember reading somewhere that the MTK3339\3329 binary mode cannot work at 10Hz... Again, not sure if that's specific to the 3329 or also the 3339.
RHTizzy is offline Find More Posts by RHTizzy
Old Aug 26, 2012, 01:37 PM
Joined Feb 2010
78 Posts
Quote:

Look at this topic here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1714506
Maybe that helps - doing similar for FC as is done here for the GPS ?
DanielCV is offline Find More Posts by DanielCV
Last edited by DanielCV; Aug 26, 2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 02:07 PM
Advanced Monkey
United Kingdom, England
Joined Nov 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielCV View Post
Look at this topic here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1714506
Maybe that helps - doing similar for FC as is done here for the GPS ?
That is a Groundplane for the GPS, I have a tiny one in the Box that covers my FC because the GPS antenna is just on top of the box not far from the FC:

Old Aug 26, 2012, 02:34 PM
Joined Jul 2011
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by balleperu View Post
My setup:
QuadX
MultiWii 2.1
D2822/17 Brushless Outrunner 1100kv
HobbyKing 12A BlueSeries ESC
HobbyKing UBEC 3A / 2-6s LiPO
Slow Fly Electric Prop 8045
I do not have BT or GPS hooked up. Just the AIO.

First, are you 100% sure you are not accidentally disarming the board inflight?
If THROTTLE is below 1100 and YAW or ROLL is below 1100 it will disarm.

Other possible causes:
* The power supplied to the board is not stable, thus making it reboot. Check your cables and connectors. Are you using a separate UBEC?
* Something is wrong with you board, making it reboot under stress. The most likely cause is a bad soldering or a missing capasitor (causes noise -> reboot). If you got a microscope or magnifier and know what to look for you will see this relatively easy.
* Is something getting too HOT?`(Esc, ubec, AIO ?)

Try removing/disabling everything (Bluetooth, GPS etc) you don't need to fly the thing i ACRO mode and see if the problem persists!
I will check the throttle yaw and roll and points to see if its set right.

I think it is stable because it uses the power from all 6 esc-s and I know that each esc has a bec at 5 volts and 2 A.This is 12A from all 6 esc's I think this is more than enough.
I do not use a separate UBEC but I can try this option too.
I work with electronics and I checked everything and as far as I can tell everything is ok.

Everything is cold. I checked every esc,aio and the motors. As I said the same setup with kk2 works perfect.

I will try to remove the bluetooth and gps and see what happens then.
I know I do not need a gps and bluetooth for acro flying. The hexacopter was made for AP but I have to test it before I fly with it over sea and people.

I hope I find the issue and I will post it here.
jazavac2302 is offline Find More Posts by jazavac2302
Old Aug 26, 2012, 02:39 PM
Advanced Monkey
United Kingdom, England
Joined Nov 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
I will check the throttle yaw and roll and points to see if its set right.

I think it is stable because it uses the power from all 6 esc-s and I know that each esc has a bec at 5 volts and 2 A.This is 12A from all 6 esc's I think this is more than enough.
I do not use a separate UBEC but I can try this option too.
I work with electronics and I checked everything and as far as I can tell everything is ok.

Everything is cold. I checked every esc,aio and the motors. As I said the same setup with kk2 works perfect.

I will try to remove the bluetooth and gps and see what happens then.
I know I do not need a gps and bluetooth for acro flying. The hexacopter was made for AP but I have to test it before I fly with it over sea and people.

I hope I find the issue and I will post it here.
Only one of the ESC's BEC's will provide power to the FC, even with them all connected one will always trump the rest to provide power.