HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:54 PM
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Jan 2007
39 Posts
Regarding the SG Drone, I've got one and am very pleased. The build quality is excellent and the bird flies well. Support is excellent. Emails are promptly answered and the bird is shipped on the promised date. Spare parts are readily available.

Be sure and order the glide controller if you get one. It also works as advertised and makes the bird easier to fly.
keithm is offline Find More Posts by keithm
Last edited by keithm; Dec 04, 2012 at 09:45 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:03 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
1,809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by De Barrows View Post
Hello: I'm an old guy new to the group. I'm going to buy an ornithopter and I would like to ask those of you in the group what you think of the SG Drone unit. Is it comparable to what is made in this Country and are parts available if one needs them? It looks like a quality unit.
Thanks,
Clarence
Can't give a direct comparison as I don't own a kinkade bird, but the SG drone / protoseni bird is a good flyer. Spare parts was of a real concern to me and I've always managed to get spares from yovi / protoseni, plus they always seem to keep a fair amount of them in stock. In addition, the way the bird is built you can replace a fair number of the parts on it with heli and buggy parts sourced from your LHS. So I don't think you will have an issue.
rayonnair is online now Find More Posts by rayonnair
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:42 AM
Joined Oct 2012
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayonnair View Post
Can't give a direct comparison as I don't own a kinkade bird, but the SG drone / protoseni bird is a good flyer. Spare parts was of a real concern to me and I've always managed to get spares from yovi / protoseni, plus they always seem to keep a fair amount of them in stock. In addition, the way the bird is built you can replace a fair number of the parts on it with heli and buggy parts sourced from your LHS. So I don't think you will have an issue.
Yes is sure..you will get the full support / parts / later update or upgrade from Sgdrone.
carbonsail is offline Find More Posts by carbonsail
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:45 PM
Joined Dec 2012
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithm View Post
Regarding the SG Drone, I've got one and am very pleased. The build quality is excellent and the bird flies well. Support is excellent. Emails are promptly answered and the bird is shipped on the promised date. Spare parts are readily available.

Be sure and order the glide controller if you get one. It also works as advertised and makes the bird easier to fly.
Keithm, Rayonnair, Carbonsail; Thank you all for your input. I appreciate the information you have supplied. It helps this novice at RC flying make an informed decision when spending what I consider to be a serious sum of money on a hobby item, especially given the alternatives available.
Clarence
De Barrows is offline Find More Posts by De Barrows
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:52 PM
Joined Dec 2011
96 Posts
Guys,

Please visit new website contains information about our ornithopters http://www.carbonsail.com/index.html

For our existing customer, please post photo of you and your ornithopters in this thread and we will send you a gift.

Cheers,

Yovi
yovio is offline Find More Posts by yovio
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:39 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,840 Posts
subscribed.......
Heavy Chevy is online now Find More Posts by Heavy Chevy
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:11 AM
Blue Falcon
the Netherlands
Joined Jan 2007
705 Posts
I treid the glide unit on my robirds but it doesn't work for my birds. I need a device that is more accurate.
bluefalconhollan is offline Find More Posts by bluefalconhollan
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:24 AM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,102 Posts
Which glide unit are you referring to? The one from France or Asia? Because it seems you robirds glides pretty well.
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:04 AM
Blue Falcon
the Netherlands
Joined Jan 2007
705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-LO View Post
Which glide unit are you referring to? The one from France or Asia? Because it seems you robirds glides pretty well.
Yovio's glide unit. The Gldab can't be used too. I think the magnets to stop the motor are to big and can't stop the motor exactly on one point. It is not the problem of the glide unit but of my intern mechanism.

I use a simple mechanical switch in my bird but it also doesn't work properly.
bluefalconhollan is offline Find More Posts by bluefalconhollan
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:28 AM
Joined Dec 2011
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefalconhollan View Post
Yovio's glide unit. The Gldab can't be used too. I think the magnets to stop the motor are to big and can't stop the motor exactly on one point. It is not the problem of the glide unit but of my intern mechanism.

I use a simple mechanical switch in my bird but it also doesn't work properly.
Hi,

Its almost impossible to stop the at the exact positiob of the magnet due to the momentum from the wings movement. Ussually i put the magnet about 30 degree before the intended stop position.

Thanks,

Yovi
yovio is offline Find More Posts by yovio
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:19 PM
Joined Sep 2011
11 Posts
So I noticed on the SGDrone website you are now offering different pushrod types. Whats the difference between them, and would it be possable to upgrade from the V1 to the V2 or V3?

Do the later versions put less stress on the screw connecting the pushrod to the outer gear? I've gone through like 10 of those screws already as they keep snapping off.
Dolph_1 is offline Find More Posts by Dolph_1
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:30 PM
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,121 Posts
I mentioned at the start that this would be a weak point on there birds and would need to be a flex plate set up / or extremely beefy rod ends i am glad to see them offering a different option and it would be good if they showed us what it was regards Brian
therealthing691 is online now Find More Posts by therealthing691
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:46 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,277 Posts
Subscribed
So where do I get one of these drones from ?
rcpilot23 is offline Find More Posts by rcpilot23
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:48 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yovio View Post
Guys,

Please visit new website contains information about our ornithopters http://www.carbonsail.com/index.html

For our existing customer, please post photo of you and your ornithopters in this thread and we will send you a gift.

Cheers,

Yovi
I have sent an email to you business sales email address thanks
rcpilot23 is offline Find More Posts by rcpilot23
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:24 PM
United States, IL, Rockford
Joined Jan 2008
568 Posts
I didn't read this entire thread - but isn't it possible to utilize a programmable ESC that has a brake feature? I use this on my powered gliders. I would imagine you could get the wings to lock that way.
samson55 is offline Find More Posts by samson55