Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 18, 2011, 11:34 AM
United States, NC, Burlington
Joined Apr 2011
27 Posts
Discussion
Anything better than the Radian Pro?

...in the same category: foam prop-driven electric sailplane.

Hoping to start a discussion here - as I'm still somewhat new to the hobby I've owned thus far the PZ T-28D & the Radian Pro.

Overall, I've decided the foam prop-driven sailplane (the RPro in this case) is my 'cup-o-tea' for several reasons:

- long flight times (>30min on single charge)
- less likely to crash than an Extra300
- parts availability when it does
- foam is repairable
- prop when thermals are scarce

So here is the question: is there anything out ...which is of equal or better build quality, foam, prop-driven, with excellent flight characteristics (ie, thermalling and moderate aerobatics) and easier to assemble (think <5min to fish servo leads into fuse) ...than the Radian Pro?

Afterall, the Radian and RPro have the highest post counts on this forum.

Thanks for any thoughts!
dhaizli is offline Find More Posts by dhaizli
Last edited by dhaizli; Jul 18, 2011 at 11:44 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2011, 04:48 PM
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton
Blackstock, South Carolina
Joined Sep 2007
1,828 Posts
Don't they make an ARF and RTF version of the same plane?
Fly Wheel is offline Find More Posts by Fly Wheel
Old Jul 18, 2011, 05:15 PM
Joined Apr 2011
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Wheel View Post
Don't they make an ARF and RTF version of the same plane?
Ha! Great answer. I guess I can conclude from the lack of responses that there's really not much else out there that can top the RPro.

The reason I asked was because a tree jumped out and destroyed my RPro yesterday. I was trying to decide if I should replace or go with something else.

(maybe I'll hold off from placing an order a bit longer in case I get more responses on this thread).
Old Jul 18, 2011, 11:41 PM
Growing up is overrated
Bellevue, WA, USA
Joined Nov 2009
317 Posts
Hi Dhaizli
I have been very happy with my Phoenix 2000 from Hobby King. I can’t say that it is better than a Radian Pro, I haven’t flown one so I really can’t compare, but the Phoenix is a very nice flying model. It has a few problems, but the fixes are not very complicated, check out the thread for lots of good information about this airplane. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1338888
Mike
MikeC47 is offline Find More Posts by MikeC47
Old Jul 19, 2011, 12:01 AM
unlicensed helicopter nut
Berkeley, California
Joined Jan 2007
3,699 Posts
Then there is the Easy Glider Pro by Multiplex. I have one with the brushless, un-geared power system and it flies much like your description of the Radian Pro. It is dead easy, actually, and gets very long flight times even with rather free use of the power system. I got the EGP because the airfoil is not under cambered and so may be a little more appropriate for inverted flight.
zen@lanset.com is offline Find More Posts by zen@lanset.com
Old Jul 19, 2011, 07:42 AM
Joined Apr 2011
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC47 View Post
Hi Dhaizli
I have been very happy with my Phoenix 2000 from Hobby King. I canít say that it is better than a Radian Pro, I havenít flown one so I really canít compare, but the Phoenix is a very nice flying model. It has a few problems, but the fixes are not very complicated, check out the thread for lots of good information about this airplane. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1338888
Mike
Mike, how difficult is it to connect the wings on the P2k? I know it took awhile to connect them on the RPro (due to fishing the servo leads into the fuse).

I'm wondering if I put the RPro motor/esc into P2k and use my two PKZ 3s 2200mah...?

Thanks for the input all...
Old Jul 19, 2011, 08:34 AM
Joined Nov 2010
243 Posts
dhaizli...Think you need to add one qualifier...for the buck?
There's some amazing EASY GLIDER PROS & ELEKTRO JUNIOR S out there and I'm sure there are others but the RADIAN PRO is a hard plane to beat for the dollar.
Capt. Gary is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Gary
Old Jul 19, 2011, 09:05 AM
United States, WV, Calhoun
Joined Nov 2004
509 Posts
If you want to thermal then go with the standard Radian. It thermals much better than the Pro. Trust me much better.

The Pro is for those who want a full functional plane. But it is a very poor performing full functional sailplane.

All that said I do not mean to imply that the Pro isn't a lot of fun. But don't be fooled by all those extra servos. If you want to thermal go with the standard Radian.

Todd
skyhawk1 is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk1
Old Jul 19, 2011, 09:27 AM
let's FLY!
United States, VT, Castleton
Joined Dec 2007
2,036 Posts
There's the ElectraGlide 1.5...which I really don't know much about. Best looking of the bunch (IMO). A half-meter smaller wingspan, which is attractive to me from a transportation standpoint. Not many reviews out there but what there is seems positive. But they were backordered forever and I got tired of waiting so I bought an EasyFly 1.9 from HobbyKing instead......which I really can't recommend. Too many quality issues.....wing joiner, motor/ESC, poor centering of control surfaces (so far...and I've only had it a month).

I may yet buy an ElectraGlide 1.5 (they're back in stock) if a final attempt to fix the flaws of the EasyFly don't work out.

edit: I didn't realize the RP has both flaps and ailerons......neither of these I mentioned have separate flaps.
JimZinVT is offline Find More Posts by JimZinVT
Old Jul 19, 2011, 09:45 AM
Joined Apr 2011
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Gary View Post
dhaizli...Think you need to add one qualifier...for the buck?
There's some amazing EASY GLIDER PROS & ELEKTRO JUNIOR S out there and I'm sure there are others but the RADIAN PRO is a hard plane to beat for the dollar.
Good point Gary...but actually that was intentional, just in case someone said 'oh yeah, the "such-n-such" beats the RPro hands down in every category...but it's $250." I just wanted to know.

I like the exotic planes from Icare and USASoaring (kevlar, carbon fiber, etc...) but if they ever lawn dart there's no repair - only replace.

I'm leaning towards either the HK Phoenix 2000 or the HL Art-Tech ASK21 (which appear to be out-of-stock). Any thoughts between those two?

Thanks again!
Old Jul 19, 2011, 09:59 AM
Growing up is overrated
Bellevue, WA, USA
Joined Nov 2009
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaizli View Post
Mike, how difficult is it to connect the wings on the P2k? I know it took awhile to connect them on the RPro (due to fishing the servo leads into the fuse).

I'm wondering if I put the RPro motor/esc into P2k and use my two PKZ 3s 2200mah...?

Thanks for the input all...
Hi dhaizli
It is a process, but not bad. I canít fit the full wing in my car, so I have to separate the two halves each time I go fly. They slip together over a carbon fiber shaft, and they are joined by a plywood piece and 4 wood screws. Then the servo wires are connected, and the wing is then bolted to the top of the fuselage with 4 screws.
I think I saw a post where someone put a 35mm diameter motor in the Phoenix, which is what I think is in the Radian, but you should check to see. I seem to remember that this installation was quite nose heavy, but you should look over the thread to be sure. The motor that comes with the ARF Phoenix is 28mm, and as an upgrade, most people seem to be going with a 2836-1000.
I have been using some 1800 3S batteries, the 2200 should work fine, just a little heaver.
Mike
MikeC47 is offline Find More Posts by MikeC47
Old Jul 20, 2011, 09:58 AM
Joined Nov 2010
243 Posts
dhaizli...
21 has a RC15 8.9% airfoil. Might take it out of the dreaded "Flying Pickle" class as a few of my German friends "politely" refer to all the foam clones now out there.
Capt. Gary is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Gary
Old Jul 20, 2011, 04:56 PM
Heli's and gliders, what else?
Nederland, GE, Slijk-Ewijk
Joined Apr 2006
747 Posts
I also vote for the Phoenix 2000. I fly both Radian Pro and Phoenix 2000.
Phoenix is a lot more stiff, as well body as wings. It flies great. It looks great.

Sure there are some points you have to look at but that's also the case with the RP.

Check out the thread Mike mentioned to find details about the plane.
BarnOwl is offline Find More Posts by BarnOwl
Old Jul 20, 2011, 05:41 PM
Joined Apr 2011
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwl View Post
I also vote for the Phoenix 2000. I fly both Radian Pro and Phoenix 2000.
Phoenix is a lot more stiff, as well body as wings. It flies great. It looks great.

Sure there are some points you have to look at but that's also the case with the RP.

Check out the thread Mike mentioned to find details about the plane.
Is it http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1338888this thread? I'm up to page 10.

I placed my order for the Phoenix 2000 yesterday - can't wait to get it. I plan to scavenge some pieces off my busted RPro (prop, motor, esc, clevices).

From the videos it looks like the Phoenix can roll! Something the RPro never did very well.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 05:57 PM
Heli's and gliders, what else?
Nederland, GE, Slijk-Ewijk
Joined Apr 2006
747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaizli View Post

I placed my order for the Phoenix 2000 yesterday - can't wait to get it. I plan to scavenge some pieces off my busted RPro (prop, motor, esc, clevices).
Congrats! If you use the motor of the RP, mind you that it is a lot heavier then the Turnigy 2836-1000 that gives more power.

Key with every glider is keep it as light as possible!
BarnOwl is offline Find More Posts by BarnOwl