Vienna, Austria
Joined Jun 2008
88 Posts
Discussion
Question for Xfoil experts

Hi all,
in the OPER->VPLO menu of xfoil I can enable/disable 'TS frequency plotting'
using FRPL. Up to now I have not been able to see any differences whether this
is enabled or disabled. Honestly I do not know what I should expect to see here.

The reason why I'm asking is: I think I have succeeded to compile xfoil with
gcc/g95 double precision on Windows and I would like to test if everything
works.

It would be nice if someone could provide an example where toggling FRPL on/off
makes a visible difference. Also an explanation of this would be great.

Thanks in advance,
Robert.
rob67 is offline Find More Posts by rob67
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2010, 06:14 PM
United States, KS, Andover
Joined Oct 2005
539 Posts
Hmmm, I never noticed this before. Apparently, I didn't build my version correctly, as it gives me an environment variable error message when I try to toggle it on. To test it, do a VPLO->N>FRPL. It works fine on the executable that came with my latest version of Ubuntu linux, but not the version I built.

That said, it doesn't appear to have any impact on the results, and if I read the documentation correctly (look at the notes about updates), this option was added solely for plotting purposes and is not used by the solver itself. I could be wrong, as I only looked at one airfoil at one angle of attack.

Mark
markschaffin is offline Find More Posts by markschaffin
Old Nov 04, 2010, 06:40 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jun 2008
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markschaffin View Post
Hmmm, I never noticed this before. Apparently, I didn't build my version correctly, as it gives me an environment variable error message when I try to toggle it on. To test it, do a VPLO->N>FRPL. It works fine on the executable that came with my latest version of Ubuntu linux, but not the version I built.

That said, it doesn't appear to have any impact on the results, and if I read the documentation correctly (look at the notes about updates), this option was added solely for plotting purposes and is not used by the solver itself. I could be wrong, as I only looked at one airfoil at one angle of attack.

Mark
Your build may be ok anyway. From reading the code I think you need to do "export OSMAP=/path/to/osmap.dat" (on linux/bash) or "set OSMAP=C:\path\to\osmap.dat" (on Windows) so that xfoil will find the Orr-Sommerfeld database file.

But I think you are right in that this is only used for plotting purposes, thanks for that.

Regards,
Robert.
rob67 is offline Find More Posts by rob67