HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 20, 2012, 08:40 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
We're talking about a servo on the board of the new AS3X Beast here, Chuck - not the old stuff.
It may simply be a programming glitch in the AS software for all we know.
He flies new stuff too... sooner than almost any of us.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2012, 09:39 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,636 Posts
Quote:
We're talking about a servo on the board of the new AS3X Beast here, Chuck - not the old stuff.
It may simply be a programming glitch in the AS software for all we know.
Nitro,

Or it may be simply statistics. I have over 100 hours on my mCP X, about 80 hours on one of my B3Ds (over 8 hours on 3s), over 20 hours on my other B3D, over 8 hours on my Gee Bee, and over 20 hours on my Carbon Cub. That's 19 AS3X servos, and I have not had one fail. I had an elevator servo fail on one of my V1 Beasts after 50 flights, and an aileron servo went nuts during the maiden on another V1. Out of 64 UM servos, those are the only failures I've had.

As Erkq noted - Chuck flies & reviews all of the new planes - usually well-before they hit the shelves.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old May 20, 2012, 10:41 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,404 Posts
I only own 2 UMX planes with AS3X, the 3D Beast and the Gee Bee and have had absolutely no problems with the board or servos. As said i was 3D'ing my Beast on the weekend and loving it, as i had never managed to hold a hover before, for as long as i did the flights i had this weekend. Mind you i flew 15 different planes over the 3 days i was at the fun fly so my stick fingers had plenty of practice + talking to all the young 3D pilots there and filming close up their 100cc machines inches off the ground hovering helped

i hope all that do have problems with servos get them fixed quick as these planes are a hoot to fly

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old May 21, 2012, 12:11 AM
Joined Aug 2011
789 Posts
I can understand Chuck taking a defensive stand for HH products as he is a tester for MF.
what is your afilliation Turboparker?
Chuck i know what your saying about the linkages however this was not the problem in this case.
I decided to do some tinkering on my beast3d last night before taking it to the LHS again.
I connected the battery and tested elevator response. (no movement at all)
disconnected the battery and gave the servo gear a nudge with a drinking straw. reconnected the battery and to my amazement the elevator starting working again.
performed a few power off/on cycles and for now it is ok again. I will fly it again and hope that the elevator does not seize up during flight. if the problem reoccurs i will be straight back to the LHS however i do not have high hopes for a replacement being any better as this is the second one which had exactly the same problem as the first.
Coincidence? i don't think so, more like a bad batch of bricks that the CC guys are also experiencing.
I do hope the problem doesn't re-occur as this is a fun little plane when it's working
jim350 is offline Find More Posts by jim350
Old May 21, 2012, 02:01 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim350 View Post
what is your afilliation Turboparker?
He's just an ekg...extremely knowledgeable guy... and he's got the data to back it up. Your assumption that one of this thread's best, most helpful posters has ulterior motives is insulting. I guess you haven't been around long...
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old May 21, 2012, 02:34 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
He's just an ekg...extremely knowledgeable guy... and he's got the data to back it up. Your assumption that one of this thread's best, most helpful posters has ulterior motives is insulting. I guess you haven't been around long...
Facts are facts. Two brand new models suffer the exact same problem after only 1 or 2 flights. Seems there is a problem.
As for ulterior motives, its getting harder and harder these days to see who is pushing which barrow on these forums.
ozzi supercub is offline Find More Posts by ozzi supercub
Old May 21, 2012, 02:43 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,194 Posts
erkq, he simply asked - he didn't accuse... take a breather....
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old May 21, 2012, 02:49 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,066 Posts
Jim, I guess your very lucky it didn't happen in flight and send the model into the ground. I wouldn't like your chances of getting a replacement then.
Old May 21, 2012, 03:35 AM
Joined Aug 2011
789 Posts
Well i got the servo working so i will fly it again before going back to the LHS. If it happens after the next few flights i will be back for to the LHS for replacement (crashed or not crashed) until i get a non problematic unit.
Old May 21, 2012, 05:02 AM
I don't want to land yet!
Joined Jan 2010
1,500 Posts
It's a pity you have to pay so much for it Jim... maybe you should offer some video reviews too
Strike3 is offline Find More Posts by Strike3
Old May 21, 2012, 05:23 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post
+1 never had any servo problems with my micros i have seen the little plastic horn twist from landing in the grass, or even catching them when taking the plane out of the box, i just straighten them out, problem solved.
Quote:
Sheesh Chuck - if they can't withstand being removed from the box what hope is there for them in flight doing heavy 3D??..... kind of a silly comment really...
Nitro: You have not flown many ultra-micro airplane with LINEAR servos I guess!!! Linear servos have worm screws. As such, you cannot move them like normal servos, i.e., if you try to move the control surfaces like other airplanes, the servo won't move or give.... So, it's really common, when you hit the control surfaces, for the horns to give. Not sure if HH designed them like that or if they simply got lucky, but sure enough, it's now a "safety feature". Control surface get hit, servo cannot move, so something has to give. It's easy to move/hit a control surface when you pull an airplane out of the box. In normal flight, those horns do their job perfectly. And if you crash? Well, again, quite often, the "safety feature" kick in, since, again, the servo cannot move but the control surfaces get hit by many Gs. Welcome to the world of linear servo (with worm screw).
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old May 21, 2012, 05:36 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,066 Posts
Jim & Nitro weren't bagging the product, the company or the retailer. They were simply stating what happened. Credit to our Aussie supplier for changing Jims plane over straight away and to HH for taking this hobby to new heights. Having said that I dont understand why people are so quick to try and counter anyones bad experience with their own good experience. If you have had 1000 problem free flights then good luck to you. It doesnt change what happened to Jims models. I'd rather read about the people having problems so I can make informed decisions about where to spend my hard earnt hobby $

Having said all that, I do like the look of the carbon cub.....
Old May 21, 2012, 05:40 AM
Team Hillbilly
United States, MD, Dundalk
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Haven't posted in here in a long time but I've owned the v1 beast since 12/2010. My elevator servo locked up on me after just a few flights. I got it down with just little crease for damage. I ended up simply blowing out the servo with compressed air. It never bothered since. I racked it up to dust or a tiny piece of foam getting in there and causing the issue. I really think these servos are susceptible to binding due to foreign matter.
tominator06 is online now Find More Posts by tominator06
Last edited by tominator06; May 21, 2012 at 06:36 AM. Reason: spelling
Old May 21, 2012, 06:03 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,194 Posts
RealGambler, please stop guessing at what I have and haven't done every time I post - it's becoming annoying. I have had just about every HH UM model since they first came out. If you paid just a little attention you'd know that even my Micro Hawk has a 6400 powering it...

I even did a tutorial on stripping and cleaning down onboard linear servo's...

I also was one of the first to use the falcon worm drive servo's in my micro's way back then... so perhaps it should be me welcoming you into the foray?....

So, recapping for everyone's benefit - I posted here to tell of Jim350's experience with 2 of his brand new AS3X Beasts, in a row... I hope everyone actually understands this because I get the feeling some are being a little short sighted to this fact....
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old May 21, 2012, 06:34 AM
Joined Aug 2011
789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominator06 View Post
Haven't posted in here in a long time but I've owned the v1 beast since 12/2010. My elevator servo locked up on me after just a few flights. I got it down with just little crease for damage. I ended up simply blowing out the servo with compressed air. It never bothered since. I racked it up to dust or a try piece of foam getting in there and causing the issue. I really think these servos are susceptible to binding due to foreign matter.
Thankyou for an informative post, now that i have it working again i hope it gives me many trouble free flights as well.
I also really like HH's products, i may not agree with the prices for some of these models however i still purchase the ones that appeal to me.