HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 19, 2014, 06:38 PM
Joined Dec 2014
3 Posts
Discussion
Using charger adapter cable between ESC and battery

So, I bought an RTR (excluding battery) RC car in which the included ESC has a male Deans cable connector. The battery I have takes 4mm plugs. As it happens earlier I've bought an adapter cable for my charger that has female Deans and 4mm plugs, and a balancer plug. So basically it can be used to connect the ESC to the battery. With just a Deans to 4mm adapter cable I there wouldn't be any problems obviously, But since there's the balancer cable and since electronics can be finicky (like in my buggy the first ESC got fried for no apparent reason before I even got to drive it properly), I want to ask to make absolutely sure that this is a safe thing to do - that is, using the cable like that in order to drive the car, without the balancer plug plugged in of course. I don't see why it couldn't be used for this - after all using the vehicle is basically the same as discharging the battery in the charger, which can be done with or without the balancer plug connected - but as said, I want to make sure.

The + and - wires are of equal thickness to the ESC's own Deans cable so unlike some charger cables they're not flimsier than one might want for driving, so the only question mark is whether the balancer part of the cable has the potential to cause issues?

I could of course strip the Deans connector and solder in 4mm plugs (if I could find my bag of plugs) but if the adapter cable works fine, I don't see a reason to bother at least for the time being considering I hate and suck at soldering (and can't find the damn plugs to boot).
tvih is online now Find More Posts by tvih
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2014, 03:14 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
12,015 Posts
How long is the adapter cable you're thinking of using?

A couple of things come to mind; first is, if you extend the battery-to-ESC connection by any significant amount you're going to eventually damage the ESC. There's quite a long thread about the issue here.

Second is it's going to be a bit untidy, and tight, to fit an extension cable into the car, isn't it?

You can use the adapter cable to test the car, but the correct thing, as you know, is to change the plug on either the battery or the car so that they're compatible.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Dec 20, 2014, 10:55 AM
Joined Dec 2014
3 Posts
It's about 12cm. I went ahead and drove using it today. But if I ever manage to find those damn missing plugs, gotta solder 'em in place I suppose. As for tightness and tidiness it isn't a big deal for this car, it's a short course car with lots of space, as compared to my buggy which indeed has a bit of an issue with cables even in their non-extended state.
tvih is online now Find More Posts by tvih