SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 14, 2014, 09:43 PM
Australia, NSW, Nowra
Joined Dec 2014
2 Posts
Discussion
Lanyu ASW-28 Air Crash Investigation

First post for me, but have been reading the big ASW-28 thread....

As the picture shows, had a big impact...

Have put about 10 batteries through this machine and really like it. I'm certainly not a "pro" but can fly this Glider around pretty well. I fly on my friends property, a couple of hours drive south of Sydney.

I am using a JR DSX9 TX with a Orangerx RX3S RX with Gyro. The Gyro has been great for "smoothing everything out" and I have had it on the whole time.

Today, "The Crash".....

Put one 3S 1800 battery through her and had a good flight. Did a couple of loops, nothing crazy...

Put a new battery in. Took off as normal, did one circuit, then on the upwind leg of the next circuit, performed a loop around (I'm guessing) 100 - 150ft AGL, nothing too exciting.... except it didn't fully roll out of the loop. Up Elevator had no effect, and the Glider was coming in around 30 degrees nose down. My friend and myself watched the wings "flap up and down" like it was receiving up and down Elevator inputs....... It crashed just next to us....

The one thing that appeared to be wrong with it, was the horn on the Elevator was missing, it had been snapped off. The T-tail was perfectly intact.

I am thinking that as I did the loop and started to roll out with up elevator, the Gyro detected the plane heavily nose down and cranked in some up elevator to correct..... This, coupled with the Up elevator I already had, pulled the elevator too far and snapped the horn....
The flapping of the wings, I believe was the Elevator just moving up and down of it's own accord...

Does this sound plausible???

Great aircraft, and I've already got another one on it's way!!!
Plums is offline Find More Posts by Plums
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2014, 09:24 AM
The Fixer
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Jan 2009
3,904 Posts
Yup! Sounds exactly what happend. Check the servo for broken gears now also.
Sorry for the crash, sucks big time when they happen.
Martin Y is offline Find More Posts by Martin Y
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyfly Fox Glider
Old Dec 16, 2014, 05:55 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,831 Posts
I concur but I'm not certain that the servo/gyro combination moved the elevator too far. The small hardware used by Chinese manufacturers is often suspect and the horn could have broken without being forced. This is a bit odd because the bulk control horns and such I have purchased from HK seem to be just fine but I have ended up replacing almost all of these components that have come with planes. On my faster planes I fork out the extra couple bucks for name brand horns and clevises and assorted hardware. It's very cheap insurance.

Cheers!
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:12 PM
The Fixer
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Jan 2009
3,904 Posts
Was the screw still in the elevator servo. I can see the screw being loose then come off.
Martin Y is offline Find More Posts by Martin Y
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyfly Fox Glider
Old Dec 17, 2014, 06:42 AM
Australia, NSW, Nowra
Joined Dec 2014
2 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys.

Martin, the servo horn is firmly attached to the servo and the screw is in place.

Peter, the Elevator horn is clean broken through. You may be right, they are pretty lightly built and it may have just failed on it's own.

I have a new ASW-28 on it's way, and I plan on going FPV with this one..... I think for my own piece of mind, I will replace the horn and clevises with something a little better..
Plums is offline Find More Posts by Plums