HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2014, 12:37 PM
United States, CA, Redding
Joined Feb 2011
1,053 Posts
Help!
Shorai Life Motorcycle battery Lithium Iron

So I am getting a Shorai for my Yamaha and would love to be able to use one of my RC chargers to balance charge it. They sell a charger for it but I know I can make one of my multiple chemistry chargers work. The pic is a harness they sell for their charger. It looks like it is charged through the balance cables only and the connector looks like a XH style. What say the charger experts? I have only dealt with LIPO batteries but I assume this would just be a big 3 cell? Also it appears through my internet research that I need to use the life setting and not Lithium Ion
Mr Big Head is offline Find More Posts by Mr Big Head
Last edited by Mr Big Head; Nov 19, 2014 at 07:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2014, 07:51 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,053 Posts
Under that gray cover in the middle is a xh style plug. Also more investigating has these charged as a four cell. 3.3 volts per cell with a terminal voltage of 13.2
Old Nov 20, 2014, 01:01 PM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,445 Posts
Not sure about LiFe; but, the original A123s are 3.6 Hot of the Charger -- as in 36v for ten, or 18v for five ~ 10.8 for three.

Most of us charged them to 3.8v when using a precision power supply.

And, some even routinely used Lion chargers @ 4.1!

Zip charging of 3S / Pb works well w/A123s; even 10S off 3 SLAs in series.

A123-4S is closer to full/HOC 12v Pb ~ 14.4.

Looking at their site ( http://shoraipower.com/ ) and chargers is a bit confusing as the look like they only charge via the balance taps & I count 7?

3S is 4 wires (S+1); while 4S = 5 wires.

Keep us posted on what you learn.
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
Old Nov 21, 2014, 11:26 AM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,438 Posts
I have one of those in my Kawasaki. LiFe would be a 4s. I don't try to balance charge it, you can use a Pb charger on them too since the motorcycle is a Pb charger. I do use the LiFe setting on my charger during the winter since the electronics will drain them over time.
600Bob is offline Find More Posts by 600Bob
Old Nov 21, 2014, 02:59 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,323 Posts
I have a 4S2P Lithium Ion pack in my Kawasaki Vulcan that I built from "defective" De-Walt drill packs that I bought on ebay. I built it with balance taps. I initially balance charged it on my CellPro 10s over 3 years ago. Since then the alternator has done all the charging. Every now and then if I think about it I'll check it for balance but it's always spot on. Including the 100 amp APP connectors and AWG6 wires I probably have less than $30.00 invested.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Nov 21, 2014, 04:42 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,053 Posts
I think it will be easy to balance charge it since it uses xh style plugs for balance. I am just afraid to hook it up wrong. I am thinking I will hook up the main power leads from my Hyperion charger to the main leads of the battery. Then the balance plug. I need to get it in my hands so I can figure out the wiring. It should be here tomorrow.