HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:30 AM
United States, MN, Shoreview
Joined Aug 2012
160 Posts
Question
Which is the best board?

First let me say that I'm a newb so the info provided on this site is much appreciated. I'm looking into reflashing my 9X and am wondering which way to go with the mods. Mainly I want to know which is the best way to go, either the ERSKY9x which sells for around $95 or the smartieparts board which is only about $35. Can anyone familiar with both help to steer me the right direction?
psychedvike is offline Find More Posts by psychedvike
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 06:12 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,447 Posts
They are completely different things !
smarties, the cheaper, is an add-on board on top of existing, to ease reflashing.
ersky9x is a complete replacement board, and comes with so many bells and whistles that will turn your radio into a Ferrari... keeping the Trabant body though
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Dec 07, 2012, 06:59 AM
United States, MN, Shoreview
Joined Aug 2012
160 Posts
OK but do you think i would use these features being new to the hobby. where can i find more info on it. I might not be able to use the ferrari cuz all I do is drive slow in the driveway.
psychedvike is offline Find More Posts by psychedvike
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:24 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,447 Posts
You are right about this one too...
Being in your shoes, I would wait for the new 9XR, already embedding all the goods brought by smarties board.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:06 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychedvike View Post
OK but do you think i would use these features being new to the hobby. where can i find more info on it. I might not be able to use the ferrari cuz all I do is drive slow in the driveway.
The 9x with Smartieparts board will give far more programming power than you will need for a long time.

If you are totally new to the hobby, you should put your focus where it matters: on learning to operate and pilot an RC model. Even the most basic four channel radio will do to fly a trainer. Certainly switching to alternate firmware will improve your 9x, but it's perfectly usable as is for basic models.

By the time you've mastered the basics of flying, there will be several new options for a more advanced radio.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Last edited by Daedalus66; Dec 07, 2012 at 10:53 AM.