SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 29, 2012, 07:34 PM
I need another plane.
North Olmsted
Joined Jan 2011
62 Posts
Help!
Canary SQ Fiberglass

Got the Canary SQ Fiberglass and Balsa/Ply Glider KIT from hobbyking.

It came without instructions - I'm trying to figure out what goes where or if I have everything.

Also there is no balsa inside the fiberglass to mount the servos on, see picture.

Any help would be appreciated.
flymore is offline Find More Posts by flymore
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2012, 09:04 PM
Now fortified with carbon
Canada, ON, Cambridge
Joined Apr 2010
2,781 Posts
I hate to see your question go un answered sooo I will say this.

The glider resembles the great planes fling so much I wouldnt doubt they are both the same and built in China. Do a search on the fling. Its likely to have a build thread.

You may have to make a mounting plate for the servos in the fuse however.

If your questions are more specific I can surely help
DLGjunkyard is offline Find More Posts by DLGjunkyard
Old Jan 30, 2012, 07:48 AM
I need another plane.
North Olmsted
Joined Jan 2011
62 Posts
Thanks

I'll give it a try.
flymore is offline Find More Posts by flymore
Old Jan 30, 2012, 08:19 AM
Joined Jan 2008
4,589 Posts
flymore:

A lot of folks, too, just plop elevator and rudder servos down in some epoxy and filler, or goop (without benefit of a servo tray). Wrap the servos in masking tape, and you can easily remove them if needed.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is offline Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Feb 14, 2012, 04:54 AM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Netanya, Israel
Joined Aug 2002
10,092 Posts
Or use hot glue. (for the servos...)
Up&Away is offline Find More Posts by Up&Away
Old Feb 14, 2012, 04:31 PM
Orlando, Fl.
Joined Sep 2006
55 Posts
Canary SQ Manual

Flymore,
I uploaded a manual for the canary I found online to the Hobby King files. Look at the line with videos, reviews, files, etc. click on files.
orlbuzz is offline Find More Posts by orlbuzz
Old Feb 14, 2012, 11:10 PM
Harrington N.S.W. Australia
Joined Jul 2006
121 Posts
Hi flymore

I recieved mine yesterday..No instructions..So I done a bit of searching and found these..I hope this might help you out ..
Cheers John..
john mc lucas is offline Find More Posts by john mc lucas
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:56 PM
United States, NC, Lawndale
Joined Mar 2008
181 Posts
Glad to see this thread. I received two of them yesterday.

The Fling instructions look helpful. Thanks for posting those.

I think I will try to find some small tubing for the control rods.
Tabasco is offline Find More Posts by Tabasco
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:55 PM
Joined Sep 2007
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flymore View Post
Got the Canary SQ Fiberglass and Balsa/Ply Glider KIT from hobbyking.
It came without instructions - I'm trying to figure out what goes where or if I have everything.
Also there is no balsa inside the fiberglass to mount the servos on, see picture.
Any help would be appreciated.
Just for any people who have just received one from Hobby King, grab the PDF plans from below and I just used an el cheapo kids wooden ruler and cut it down for a servo tray which works just fine and was very light yet strong. I also threw out the crappy metal wire lengths which were to be used for the push rods and I bought some cheap BRAIDed fishing line from Big W (Australia) and just created my own clevises which are exactly like the fine ones used on the Great Planes Fling (which I have) Canary performs better I feel, but is a tad heavier. I believe the canary wing is better personally.

Be careful to check the wing alignment when joining as it is easy to get one wing not exactly parallel even when the cords are seemingly butt fit closely.

Another GREAT tip I would highly recommend (for any glider actually) is instead of using rather heavy elastic bands to fix the wing to the fuse, I much prefer the heat resistant elastic that they use to tie the legs together on a BBQ chicken! ...or I am guessing any roast or the like?? but their is one brand of BBQ chicken here, Lillydale organic BBQ chicken, and it is so light and remarkably strong. Check it out, you'd be pleasantly surprised I believe (and hope you can get a decent quality one in your location.
gt4steve is offline Find More Posts by gt4steve