HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:47 PM
United States, OH, Fairborn
Joined Jan 2012
126 Posts
ok so a quick update....i know its been a long time so i decided it was time to get the ball rolling on this project again !! i got her on my work table trying to catch my brain up to where i left off...i got a million projects.. ok so i kinda stoped on this for a short time as i was kinda feeling overwhelmed on getting this to what i was wanting..i have decided to glass the fuse on this cause as it sits theres no spars..just foam and balsa sheet covering

ok now for some questions
1.i have a lil shapeing left a few places that needs to be filled (lite drywall filler) how will these places react when i go to cover them with the glass?
2.my plan is to remove all the insides after glassing (foam&wood) as much as i can is this a bad idea? i will be making supports and bracing after its cleaned out
3.as im sure theres lots of things that i havent figured out yet (cg )being the main thing(retracts) being another is glassing at this point a bad idea?
i really would love to glass this so i can hollow it out so i can start building the supports for the inside but i kinda feel like im jumping the gun ..but that being said if i screw up the glass the model will be toast and all the extra work i do from now on will be for not as this is a one off..if that makes sense
basicly should i go for it and get the glassing out of the way so i can continue or continue then glass and take a chance of screwing up the whole project?

again guys thanks in advance for any input this plane wouldnt be able to be finished without the wonderful help from all you at rc groups
wind1234 is offline Find More Posts by wind1234
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:33 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind1234 View Post
ok now for some questions
1.i have a lil shapeing left a few places that needs to be filled (lite drywall filler) how will these places react when i go to cover them with the glass?
For a filler look into this: I just got some, haven't used it yet, Rouge Ace turned me onto it. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...8&I=LXKT91&P=K
With this I would guess that if you glass it, you would have to use epoxy resin, polyester may melt it? I also have used a light filler, like red devil, with OK results.

2.my plan is to remove all the insides after glassing (foam&wood) as much as i can is this a bad idea? i will be making supports and bracing after its cleaned out

I would leave the structure as it is, just put one layer of glass on. CST has a nice selection of the lower weight glass.
http://www.cstsales.com/e_glass_cloth.html

3.as im sure theres lots of things that i havent figured out yet (cg )being the main thing(retracts) being another is glassing at this point a bad idea?
i really would love to glass this so i can hollow it out so i can start building the supports for the inside but i kinda feel like im jumping the gun ..but that being said if i screw up the glass the model will be toast and all the extra work i do from now on will be for not as this is a one off..if that makes sense
basicly should i go for it and get the glassing out of the way so i can continue or continue then glass and take a chance of screwing up the whole project?

Just jump in and glass it. It's not that hard, just have to be prepard with resin, cloth cut to size, etc. If your going with retracts, get them figured out now, and installed. After it's glassed, it may be way to late.
Just my 2 cents.

again guys thanks in advance for any input this plane wouldnt be able to be finished without the wonderful help from all you at rc groups
I understand your predicament, I have been working on a build ( in the shadows for now) making the fuse out of foam. Mostly a shell, which I intend on glassing also. I know all the structure I need for inside support, just not getting the foam to do what I want!! A high learning curve for a first time foamy build.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:17 PM
Joined Jan 2012
126 Posts
thanks for the input cooler...been filling and sanding on it today tho not sure if i wanna glass the whole thing as is or somehow break it down into a couple of sections/peices...if i order retracts that just going to prolong this project and as ive never bought retracts its kinda hard to figure out what i woud need size wise....its very lite right now but wont be after i glass...im so outa my league taking on this build lol... im half clueless to begin with but im really enjoying it : )
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:52 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,986 Posts
If you put just a single layer of glass, say 3/4oz + your epoxy, I shouldn't think you will gain much weight--at a guess, less than 8oz? My fuse for the F-86F, had 3-layers, equaling approx 11oz sq ft/ with resin it only weighed 29-30 oz. If I had been smarter, I would have used 2-layers of heavier cloth, would have saved some weight.

What is your AUW now?
A set of E-Flite Electric Retract Tricycle 15-25 Size will hold 4-7lb, the E-Flite Electric Retract Tricycle 10-15 Size, are 3-5lb.
http://www.espritmodel.com/eflite-el...ycle-1525-size. And these Weight (per unit): 1.5 oz. (45g) less tire.

Just a little food for thought.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 01:53 AM
Joined Jan 2012
126 Posts
thanks for the info cooler...sad to say i havnt put anything on my scales yet lol guess i need to do that...looks like ill be placing an order from hk....but just by looking at the plane there gonna need to be kinda tall..im gonna try and take some pictures tomorrow and get some measurments get some weight figured out...mabe if i get time ill try to make it out to the nicer hobby shop which is alot futher than my local one (local one dont have squat)so i can get some size refernce on the retracts..uuuhg lol yea this is where my brain fried last time...glad i havnt started sheeting the bottom of the plane yet..i forsee alot of work yet to do.........but if by some miracle i dont screw this plane up in the process of building it it is going to be soooo sweet...
i invision a black and white futeristic police plane with working red/blue lights with strobes omg thats what keeps me going i can allmost see it lol
Old Feb 25, 2013, 05:21 PM
Joined Jan 2012
126 Posts
ok so i made the plunge and took the trip to the hobby store..somehow i knew id be spending money before i left lol...i went to go check out some retract for my plane as i didnt realy know anything about them size/weight mostly just to get a feel for what i might need..they realy didnt have much of a selection.basicly all i seen on the rack was some 60 size and some 40 size..both were mechanical..the 60 was way to big the 40 size was prety chunky i thought especialy after taking into consideration i was still going to have to add servos.. so i hum dumed around looking at all the stuff they had really nice store with about everything you could want, and i pased a cabinet were i found these....only ones they had left....
15-25 size trike set....what do you know. happen to be exactly what cooler suggested...excellent call my friend these should work out perfect !!
kinda thought they were a lil pricey..but heck didnt get into the hobby cause it was cheap right? lol
also started to cover the bottom of the plane with the sheet balsa for something to do...definatly going to get these retracts figured out befor i glass that way i can reinforce places that need be and will be easier to make modifications as im fitting them....wooo hoo the ball is finaly rolling again !!!
Old Feb 25, 2013, 06:39 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,986 Posts
wind1234 Before you get to jubilant, take a look at this.

I was just looking at the pics you posted, is where the sheeting in the back the location of the retracts? If that's where they are going. maybe you need 90 degree rotating?

I am also looking at the numbers on the retract box, it says 10-15- size? Did you want the 15-25 size? As long as you plane weighs in at less than 5lb, your OK More weight you need the 15-25 size. They are up to 7lb.

Not trying to take the wind out of your sails, just checking.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:04 PM
Joined Jan 2012
126 Posts
yea i was just a lil confused on numbers...the 10-15 should be fine i dont forsee this thing hitting 7 pounds....god i hope not lol..i was afraid to grab bigger retracts as they was about a heavy as the plane...just weighed the plane nothing in it ..was 1pound 4 oz. fans and motors weighed the exact same..so thats 2 pounds 8 oz. so that will leave me 8 oz for servos and electronics a pound of battery and a pound of glass and hopefully i will be under 5 pounds..after glassing i do plan on removing what foam i can from the fuse to lighten it up more but will leave it in the wings for strength....
now placement of the retracts will be tricky...aint got that part figured out yet..there is not really alot of space to work with on the wings cause the layout of this underbelly..and the windtips point downward at a crazy angle...i did find me some decent wheels that were prety narrow they will be super close to fitting flush in the wings...nosegear wont be a problem...
thats the great thing about fictional planes...not really a right way or wrong way as to how it should look lol
but yea i still got tons to do and figure out still ,but least i got some material to work with..
its a lil brain racking to be taking on this lvl of build without any sort of plans..didnt realy plan on taking it this far to be honest it started off as me goofing around and making a profile of the top and side to see what it would look like..that led into filling in the fuse then that led into building up the wings, and that led into the delusion that this thing will fly lmao..
its a far cry from my cadet senior i build with all prety laid out plans...i am haveing fun tho i love building ...and i absolutly love seeing some of these smaller builds by others that are so clean and simplistic and they turn out so amazing my hats off to those guys ,only inspires me to build more and improve my building .....some really outstanding builders on here
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:16 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,986 Posts
Not knowing what your AUW was going to be, it was a little hard to pin down the retracts. Glad what you have will work out. I am considering the 60-120 sizes E-flites for my up coming build. Only about $30 more that a set of springdown/air up retracts.
They seem be be quite popular for the larger jets, and I read that Tam is coming out with stronger replacement trunions.

My thread has went kind of cold as I have nothing new to add yet.
Where you mentioned above-" the great thing about fictional planes...not really a right way or wrong way as to how it should look " my problem is opposite, I'm trying to reproduce it as close as possible.
If you want to take a look at what I am trying to build, here it is: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1819176

Old Mar 03, 2013, 08:27 PM
Joined Jan 2012
126 Posts
slowly pecking away at the bottom...i left a couple of spots open that i cut out just to get inside this thing..they wont look that way as the build prgresses...
just got done running some glue on the seams and pin holes...probly hit more in a few hours befor i put any sandpaper on it.....fill a lil and sand a lil..

ill try and take a few pictures tomorrow when i got more light my phone takes really crapy pics at night..
Old Mar 05, 2013, 07:01 PM
Joined Jan 2012
126 Posts
some pics of the top and bottom ducts got lots of sanding and lil holes and dips still to patch...going to round the duct inlets so there not so square looking..
kinda stuck at the moment as to how and what i wanna tackel next...i need to figure out whats going to get glassed and whats not..especially the ducts...cause i know i wanna remove as much foam after glassing as possible..(im leaving it in the wings) but need to remove foam from the inside of the ducts so my fans will drop in....
Old Mar 05, 2013, 07:13 PM
Joined Jan 2012
126 Posts
as you can see if i glass the outside i can remove a ton of foam...ill have to make some wood formers for the inside..and make some ducts...i know im doing it all backwards working the outside first and probly going to be a pain in the butt to make nice formers for the inside..but i want something more solid than what i got now before i mount my fans.....i get that foam out of the ducts and they will be perfect size
Old Mar 05, 2013, 07:20 PM
Joined Jan 2012
126 Posts
and retracts will probly be a pain in the butt also...a couple pic to show the size....these are a bit tall to set flush in the wings unless i put some style humps on the top/bottom of the wing lol...so ya thats where im at in the build...still chugging along
Old Jul 21, 2013, 04:15 AM
Registered loser :)
warm sunny(rainy, windy)Florida
Joined Jan 2005
159 Posts
any updates on this awesome project? mine is coming along ever so slowly
wbnemo1 is offline Find More Posts by wbnemo1
Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:24 AM
Registered loser :)
warm sunny(rainy, windy)Florida
Joined Jan 2005