HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 26, 2010, 03:03 PM
Build ALL the models O_O!
United Kingdom, England, Nottingham
Joined Oct 2009
837 Posts
Discussion
The snow is here! Lets build landing skis!

Howdy folks,

The UK has been hit with a vicious cold snap, though I reckon if last winter was anything to go by it'll be more than just a snap!

At first I was dismayed as I thought I wouldn't be able to drive to my local flying field (a few miles of lanes and tracks, and I don't have a 4x4!) It then occured to me that the usually unfliable fields on my doorstep no longer have sheep in them and I can fly there again. The farmer has known me since I was a toddler and as long as no sheep are out he doesn't mind me flyinhg. So, as the fields are covered in snow I thought I better make me some skis!

Does anyone have a good plan for park flyer sized skis? I've just bought a Multiplex MiniMag for general fun-flying, and it's the perfect candidate. Can anyone suggest suitable materials, and design considerations? Dubro make park flyer sized skis but I can't find a UK supplier, but to be honest I'd love to make my own. So, has anyone built them? I'd really appreciate pointers .

Will.
WLJayne is offline Find More Posts by WLJayne
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2010, 06:17 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,474 Posts
There's some good info on skis here: http://flyinglindy.homestead.com/skisandfloats.html

The main thing to remember is you want the tips of the skis to be angled upwards in flight so they don't dig in when landing. Floats actually work very well on snow, too. While snow flying may be a novel concept, I have done it a few times and the novelty wore off as quickly as my fingers turned blue!

Have fun, that's the main thing!
vonJaerschky is offline Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Nov 26, 2010, 06:39 PM
Joined Oct 2009
837 Posts
Thanks, there's some great info there . I may stock up on thin ply tomorrow - if the night doesn't bring too much more snow! In these parts, when it does snow, it generally doesn't get too cold. Providing the wind is calm you can be outside comfortably for long periods in normal winter clothing. Winter slope soaring may not be my cup of tea though with the additional wind chill and general hiking involved, I may wait for those balmy spring afternoons before I start flying the sailplanes I've built recently.

Will.

Will.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 07:52 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,969 Posts
Skis for the YAK AIR-1

Even Peter Rake's recent prototype I built had skis! They just removed the wheels and fitted the skis - with some sort of restraint/bungee at the front..

Pat
Pat Lynch is offline Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A Small Diversion From Annie
Old Nov 26, 2010, 07:59 PM
Aircraft Part Separator
United States, IA, Tabor
Joined Aug 2003
1,425 Posts
Winters are windy here in the midwest US.
I don't think in 20+ years of RC modeling I have gotten more than 1/2 dozen decent flights in. I just try to keep my thumbs "nimble" by flying my Blade mSR around the living room.
I work the days/times we have indoor flying here.
Greg D is offline Find More Posts by Greg D
Old Nov 26, 2010, 08:38 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2010
632 Posts
South Wales already?
I went to look at your location, and was expecting to see Minnesota or something. We have had lousy winters lately, and haven't had snow yet.
There was a nice flood at the park field today, and was ready to maiden a recently competed seaplane or two, had there not been cyclonic like winds. I'm waiting for a nice snow, to try them out in.
BTW, I never really cared for those Dubro skis myself, and would prefer to build them also. I'm sure you could warp and maybe glass over a bit of light ply, or something of that nature.
1post is offline Find More Posts by 1post
Old Nov 26, 2010, 08:44 PM
New Zealand, Otago, Harwood
Joined Sep 2004
2,406 Posts
Thought about it and then decided I didn't have enough patience, after all it's 28C (82F) here today and by the time the temp drops down to freezing the grass will be too long!
Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Kiwi
Old Nov 27, 2010, 02:09 AM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
857 Posts
I did a lot of flying last winter since I had just re-discovered the hobby the autumn before. Actually when there's no wind, it's not that cold. You just need to bring a good down jacket and a thermos with a good cup of tea.

Over here the white stuff started to fall in night. I was thinking about skis for my Fokker D.VII already. I think to recall that there actually were some of them really equipped with skis.
gupi is offline Find More Posts by gupi
Old Nov 27, 2010, 04:42 AM
Joined Oct 2009
837 Posts
Right on Gupi, it's quite mild if there's no wind. Kiwi, I'm 60% sure I envy you. I can't decide if i'd prefer snow or 28 degrees C, but I'm leaning toward the warm weather !

I'll pop to the model shop today and pick up some ply. The shop in Abergavenny has just changed owners, really nice chap bought it from the couple who ran it for more than 20 years (of which I've been alive for 24, and modelling for about 23 and a half !) So there's always interesting new stock in at the moment. I saw this is there yesterday and had to nail my wallet to the floor to stop me buying it:

Anyway, I'll get on the skis later today.

Will.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 01:16 AM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,533 Posts
I do a lot of ski flying. We've got about 11/2 feet of snow so far. Yep, if there's no wind it's not too cold at all. It's a blast flying off the snow.
baldguy is offline Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Nov 28, 2010, 07:04 AM
Joined Oct 2009
837 Posts
I bet it is, and I think we're in for quite a bit of snow this year.

I just wish people would stop trying to dirve tiny city cars on the snowy icy roads here. They slip all over the place and look very dangerous...one nearly hit me yeaterday.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 01:08 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,474 Posts
Not very scale, but here's some photos of my Astro Hog on skis. These were taken in 1989 or 90, I can't remember now, near Greenwood, Nova Scotia. Obviously thing work best when the snow is firm and packed. If it is fresh and fluffy, the model will sink. Although I must say that I remember on one particular day, the snow was soft and fluffy and I got airborne and then started shooting touch and goes on the soft snow. The forward momentum of the airplane with some speed made sure that the airplane didn't sink into the snow, and it left the most beautiful twin rooster tails that you could ever wish for. That was pretty cool. The worst part of winter flying was cold fingers and getting the motor started. A squirt of lighter fluid or WD-40 certainly helps there. The skis were just 1/16" ply, I think. Looking at the photos I think they were a bit on the small side.

Incidentally, that same OS FS-90 4 stroke motor is still powering an Astro Hog of mine. The airframe in the photo is deceased and I built another in 2002. It's my last glow plane. I bought the motor in 1982 and it is still running strong! Heck, I'm still flying the Hog with Kraft servos! (Surely someone remembers Kraft?!)
vonJaerschky is offline Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Last edited by vonJaerschky; Nov 28, 2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 01:22 PM
Joined Oct 2009
837 Posts
Great photos! Looks like you had fun with it . I think I'll make my skis about4" line by 1" wide. That should do for the 1m span minimag even on quite soft snow.

Will.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 08:39 PM
United States, MI, Romulus
Joined Dec 2013
42 Posts
I'm in Mich. and i want to put skis on my sig kadet jr it has a 25 os max on it . I'd like to no if it has been done before ?
flyandfloat is offline Find More Posts by flyandfloat
Old Dec 16, 2013, 11:06 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,935 Posts
When I used to fly in the cold a lot I made a fleece cover that the transmitter and my hands fit into. Kept them quite warm. On a really cold day I pinned a couple of heat packs inside the cover.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb