HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 05, 2012, 01:20 PM
Registered User
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2011
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan russ View Post
I just installed the new set of motors and the chopper now flies great! The parts arrived from Xheli in about a week. not too shabby! Glad to have it back flying, now if only the wind would die.
That's great news, Hooligan, I hope to get back into the air, too, once I get my rear motor replacement set from Xheli. I haven't actually gotten the rear rotor assembly out of the chassis yet, so I might check back if I hit another road block.

I was having too much trouble with stripped screws, so I've also ordered a precision screwdriver set for Friday delivery.

ALSO, out of frustration (this can't be uncommon!) I've ordered my own backup heli, the not too shabby 4-ch Helizone Thunderbird and am expecting that today!

T21
Toltec21 is offline Find More Posts by Toltec21
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2012, 02:26 PM
Registered User
United States, RI
Joined Jan 2012
95 Posts
RC Newby questions

Hi all,

I am brand new to RC world and my first toy is the Syma New S022 Big CH-47 Chinook . I have a couple of questions I am hoping someone here can help with.

1st off, the first time I turned on my S022 and set it down, the blades kicked on full throttle automatically, sending it crashing into the ceiling. Thankfully it was not badly damaged.

Being more carefull, and taking it outside, I found it continued to do the same thing sporadically giving itself full throttle, even with the controler on. One touch of any control knob and it was back in control, but this does not sound like a normal thing for it to be doing. Any comments?

Also one more quick question ... should I un-wrap the antena wire and let it hang while flying? Or should it stay wrapped around the rear landing gear at all times?

Thanks in advance for you help.

ST
Scootatrash is offline Find More Posts by Scootatrash
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 05, 2012, 03:01 PM
Registered User
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2011
35 Posts
Noobs unite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootatrash View Post
Hi all,

I am brand new to RC world and my first toy is the Syma New S022 Big CH-47 Chinook . I have a couple of questions I am hoping someone here can help with.

1st off, the first time I turned on my S022 and set it down, the blades kicked on full throttle automatically, sending it crashing into the ceiling. Thankfully it was not badly damaged.

Being more carefull, and taking it outside, I found it continued to do the same thing sporadically giving itself full throttle, even with the controler on. One touch of any control knob and it was back in control, but this does not sound like a normal thing for it to be doing. Any comments?

Also one more quick question ... should I un-wrap the antena wire and let it hang while flying? Or should it stay wrapped around the rear landing gear at all times?

Thanks in advance for you help.

ST
Scoota, I hope the other more experienced members will chime in, but since I'm still online, I'll go first:

I think you definitely need your controller on first before turning on the Chinook and that should minimize the "surge" of the rotors and your rocket launch into the ceiling.

2nd, I learned a lot by painstakingly reviewing every page of this thread from the beginning, and there was a lengthy section debating the most effective antenna placement and whether mods were necessary, but I think the general agreement was that the antenna performed well tied around the rear landing gear.

Good luck!

Toltec21
Toltec21 is offline Find More Posts by Toltec21
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 05, 2012, 04:07 PM
Registered User
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Dec 2011
88 Posts
Toltec21 is correct. Never turn on the aircraft before the transmitter. Always turn on the transmitter first. I had the same thing happen to me several years ago with a pretty big Lama and it could have inflicted some serious bodily damage...to me.

My S022 has not arrived yet and I'm sure I'll damage some stuff in our house and get yelled at
WoodyBoater is offline Find More Posts by WoodyBoater
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 05, 2012, 04:14 PM
Registered User
United States, RI
Joined Jan 2012
95 Posts
Thanks guys ... appreciate your feedback!

That first time I did switch on the copter before the controler, and since then I have read that's a no no . But even now when I make sure to switch on the controler first, it still does it. Have I screwed up the connection between controler and copter?

BTW - Other than that, I absolutely LOVE the S022. I can see I'll need some practice, but even as a newby I can already fly it around fairly well.

ST
Scootatrash is offline Find More Posts by Scootatrash
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 06, 2012, 12:29 AM
Registered User
United States, RI
Joined Jan 2012
95 Posts
Update: I tried removing battery from the copter and batteries from the controller. Put the battery back in the copter, then back in the controller. Hoping this would re-set whatever go screwed up.

Didn't work ... still has a mind of it's own. It even launched itself a good 40 feet in the air .. over a building ... and out into a field about 100 feet away. I had no control over it.
Scootatrash is offline Find More Posts by Scootatrash
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 06, 2012, 04:32 AM
We can rebuild it!
djdavies83's Avatar
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootatrash View Post
Update: I tried removing battery from the copter and batteries from the controller. Put the battery back in the copter, then back in the controller. Hoping this would re-set whatever go screwed up.
Welcome Scootatrash, removing the batteries will have achieved nothing, the design on the PCB in both Tx and Rx means the switch disconnects the batteries when switched off, also neither PCB has a memory function so trimm will need to be done each flight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootatrash View Post
Didn't work ... still has a mind of it's own. It even launched itself a good 40 feet in the air .. over a building ... and out into a field about 100 feet away. I had no control over it.
I had that happen with my first large "toy grade" heli, it was the Syma that 2ch with the canopy that looks like a bee, I started in the park 4 streets away from my old home in Manchester (really need to change my location setting on here) it went up so high and I was afraid to let the throttle down, I chased to the a street the other side of my home, so I think it traveled 6 streets!

The S022 claims to have a 100ft (30M) range, I'm beta testing a DSM2 upgrade that will get rid of the long stupid wire and give it 100M (~300Ft) range here are a couple of photos of the connector soldered onto the PCB.

Where to cut a trace on the PCB, this is to disconnect the 27Mhz part of the board.


And here's where the power to DSM2ir and singnal into S022 gets soldered on
djdavies83 is offline Find More Posts by djdavies83
Last edited by djdavies83; Jan 12, 2012 at 01:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 06, 2012, 10:48 PM
Registered User
United States, RI
Joined Jan 2012
95 Posts
Hey djdavies83,

Thanks for the info. That looks like a cool mod to get more range on this thing. I'm still just working on getting it working right.

I'm still having the sporadic uncontrolled full throttle thing. But I still have a LOT of fun flying it despite that. I've actually gotten to the point I can obtain controlled flight in doors, as long as it's a large room. I got it outside for a while tonigh with little wind and it was a friggin BLAST!

I need to order 2 or 3 extra batteries, and I'm thinking of getting an S107 to play with too, since it seems to be a favorite in this forum.

I'm hooked ... this is my new hobby!!

ST
Scootatrash is offline Find More Posts by Scootatrash
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2012, 12:46 PM
Master Of My Universe
scotsoft's Avatar
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootatrash View Post
Hey djdavies83,

Thanks for the info. That looks like a cool mod to get more range on this thing. I'm still just working on getting it working right.

I'm still having the sporadic uncontrolled full throttle thing. But I still have a LOT of fun flying it despite that. I've actually gotten to the point I can obtain controlled flight in doors, as long as it's a large room. I got it outside for a while tonigh with little wind and it was a friggin BLAST!

I need to order 2 or 3 extra batteries, and I'm thinking of getting an S107 to play with too, since it seems to be a favorite in this forum.

I'm hooked ... this is my new hobby!!

ST
Get the Syma S026G mini Chinook it is much more fun than the S107 and much better to fly indoors (less damage lol)
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2012, 02:34 PM
Registered User
United States, RI
Joined Jan 2012
95 Posts
Thanks scotsoft, I was under the impression folks prefered the S107 for indoors. Maybe I'll just have to buy one of each ...

I'm getting better with the big Chinook, but I let my friend try it last night and he dropped it from about 30 feet. Cracked the hull in the back, but the damn thing still flys. It's amazing how much beating these things can take.

I'm still having the sporadic full throttle blasts, but I've learned to deal with it. Am thinking I may buy another S022 to see if I can get a good one without this issue. The old one can be a back up, or for spare parts.

One other thing I noticed .... last night I charged the battery up full (green light went off) and unplugged the charger. Today I plugged it in again, without ever using it, and it's been charging for 30 imnutes and the green light is still on. Could it have drained itself that much by just sitting there?

ST
Scootatrash is offline Find More Posts by Scootatrash
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2012, 04:40 PM
Registered User
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Dec 2011
88 Posts
My S107 can take an extreme amount of abuse. Both my Nine Eagles Draco and Pro Solo are much more fragile and the same size. The only thing I have broken on the 107 is the little beanie tail rotor. I'm still waiting for my S022 to arrive. I may grab an S026g also
WoodyBoater is offline Find More Posts by WoodyBoater
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2012, 05:30 PM
We can rebuild it!
djdavies83's Avatar
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootatrash View Post
One other thing I noticed .... last night I charged the battery up full (green light went off) and unplugged the charger. Today I plugged it in again, without ever using it, and it's been charging for 30 imnutes and the green light is still on. Could it have drained itself that much by just sitting there?

ST
It's quite possible, the S022 stock charger has got a bit of a bad rep for not telling you when it has finished charging so it would not supprise me if it were to drain a fully charged battery if it were left plugged in.
djdavies83 is offline Find More Posts by djdavies83
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2012, 08:09 PM
Registered User
United States, RI
Joined Jan 2012
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdavies83 View Post
It's quite possible, the S022 stock charger has got a bit of a bad rep for not telling you when it has finished charging so it would not supprise me if it were to drain a fully charged battery if it were left plugged in.
Actually the charger was completely unplugged from the copter.

I emailed Xheli today asking if they knew why my S022 was blasting off by itself. Told them if they can help me, I'd order a couple spare batteries, a S107, and maybe an S026. No response yet ....

I need more ... I can't stand only having 5-10 minutes of flight time, then have to wait for charging.

ST
Scootatrash is offline Find More Posts by Scootatrash
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2012, 09:47 AM
Master Of My Universe
scotsoft's Avatar
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootatrash View Post
Thanks scotsoft, I was under the impression folks prefered the S107 for indoors. Maybe I'll just have to buy one of each ...

I'm getting better with the big Chinook, but I let my friend try it last night and he dropped it from about 30 feet. Cracked the hull in the back, but the damn thing still flys. It's amazing how much beating these things can take.

I'm still having the sporadic full throttle blasts, but I've learned to deal with it. Am thinking I may buy another S022 to see if I can get a good one without this issue. The old one can be a back up, or for spare parts.

One other thing I noticed .... last night I charged the battery up full (green light went off) and unplugged the charger. Today I plugged it in again, without ever using it, and it's been charging for 30 imnutes and the green light is still on. Could it have drained itself that much by just sitting there?

ST
Most folks might prefer the S107 but that is their problem , the S026G is one of the best small helis you can buy and there is nothing wrong with having the S026G and the S107, I have a few of both

I highest I dropped my S022 was the only time I tried to fly outdoors with it. the wind got underneath it and I was six floors up when it dropped like a stone onto grass fortunately. Not a single thing broken or damaged, I took it indoors and it flew great.

These full throttle blasts you are having, are they happening when you are flying? That would be very scary

I agree with DJDavies, the chargers that come with the S022 are poor, I use an E-sky balance charger which has proved to be very reliable
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2012, 01:11 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Heli Pad's Avatar
Joined Aug 2011
6,744 Posts
I love my S107. I guess that's my problem. To be honest though, I'd never owned/flown a tandem helicopter. I wonder how it works? I think I have a pretty good understanding of how a 3ch coaxial helicopter works. Could you experts explain to me how a tandem helicopter achieves its 3ch functions? I have my theories, but I'd to hear it from you, especially the Yaw control. Then is there such a thing as a 4ch tandem? If so, how does it achieve aileron? AdThanksvance.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mini-Review SYMA S026 Mini chinook killbucket Coaxial Helicopters 892 Dec 30, 2013 02:32 AM
Mini-Review Big Chinook- Syma S022 killbucket Coaxial Helicopters 105 Jun 09, 2011 10:16 AM
For Sale 1x 3CH EMAX Chinook/ 2x 3CH Syma S008 Explorers scottgregory74 Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 1 Jan 06, 2010 12:25 PM