HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 19, 2010, 12:06 AM
McQueeney TX
Joined Oct 2005
581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg View Post
Looks amazing Dionysus. I think FlyFly should sponsor you.
lol With all this free advertising? Thanks though, it's still a foamy, I'm just trying to make it think it's something else!

Got the nose art on and many of the decals, I think my decal paper is getting a little old, but it turned out OK. I had to paint the decal areas with high gloss clear so that they would not fog up, makes it look kind of bad, but I'll seal it all with a flat clear. I'll post a few pictures tomorrow.... well maybe a few teasers now...
Dionysus is offline Find More Posts by Dionysus
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2010, 08:07 AM
Epic Win or Epic Fail!
Kent, England.
Joined Dec 2001
818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus
Well good luck with your project awood, don’t forget to post some pictures, I’m curious about the cheater hole myself.

Hi Dionysus,

Your model is looking great. Can't wait to see it finished completly.

I will post pictures but I'm in the stage of sanding and filling so theres nothing good to see yet, so I'll post pictures from the glassing stage. Did you keep your servos in the standard places? I'm thinking of moving the elevator servo to underneath to keep it out of sight.

I've been doing some rough calculations on the ducting and it does need a cheater hole, but how big and where I'm not sure. I'll post more info once I've worked it all out.
awood12345 is offline Find More Posts by awood12345
Old Mar 19, 2010, 03:54 PM
McQueeney TX
Joined Oct 2005
581 Posts
Thanks bud, trust me I canít wait till itís finished either! Iíve been working like a dog on this thing.

I kept the servoís stock in the elevators, they are hard to see on the ground and in the air where they are at. Iíll see if I can hide them a bit more with a little weathering. I moved the aileron servos in, just behind the center pylons, with the tanks on you will not be able to see them, plus Iíll paint them to match, that always helps.

Looking forward to your updates.

I really donít have much to show except my decals and canopy, the canopy is about the only thing I really donít like about this plane. If I like flying this one I may mold a more scale canopy, we shall see.

So this will be the last of the pictures until I have my ordinance done and sitting on her gear again. One thing I will say, she definitely looks like a war machine!
Old Mar 19, 2010, 04:56 PM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus View Post
Thanks bud, trust me I canít wait till itís finished either! Iíve been working like a dog on this thing.

I kept the servoís stock in the elevators, they are hard to see on the ground and in the air where they are at. Iíll see if I can hide them a bit more with a little weathering. I moved the aileron servos in, just behind the center pylons, with the tanks on you will not be able to see them, plus Iíll paint them to match, that always helps.

Looking forward to your updates.

I really donít have much to show except my decals and canopy, the canopy is about the only thing I really donít like about this plane. If I like flying this one I may mold a more scale canopy, we shall see.

So this will be the last of the pictures until I have my ordinance done and sitting on her gear again. One thing I will say, she definitely looks like a war machine!
Well bar has been set by this one. Looks fantastic.
Mike
mike2663 is online now Find More Posts by mike2663
Old Mar 19, 2010, 09:04 PM
"Jesters" KC-135 Demo Team
United States, MI, Ypsilanti
Joined Sep 2005
1,656 Posts
It now belongs in a museum!! Great job!

I bought the RC Lander afterburner kit for mine. Great news is they finally refined the kit and it is well built. Bad news is that the inner diameter of the fuse is way less than 90mm and I would have to do some major carving to get the afterburner LED's to fit. Guess its no burner for mine, but I will use the nav lights.
kc135boomer is offline Find More Posts by kc135boomer
Last edited by kc135boomer; Mar 19, 2010 at 10:08 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 11:05 PM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,233 Posts
That looks awesome! Sure doesn't look like the foam airplane you started with.

Steve C
Steve C is offline Find More Posts by Steve C
Old Mar 21, 2010, 10:51 PM
McQueeney TX
Joined Oct 2005
581 Posts
Thanks Mike, kc135boomer and Steve, appreciate the compliments. As far as the bar being set, I hope I inspired others to modify this plane, would make all the effort of posting a build worth it, and it would be nice to see what others come up with.

Got a question, Iím getting down to the soldering, battery charging and fan balancing. Got everything ready and found that I could not tighten the nut for the rotor because I canít stop the motor from turning! Is there a trick to this or what? What am I missing here? Any tips would be very much appreciated, I wanted to run this thing up tonight, but Iíll have to wait now!

Thanks...
Old Mar 22, 2010, 06:19 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,506 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Mike, kc135boomer and Steve, appreciate the compliments. As far as the bar being set, I hope I inspired others to modify this plane, would make all the effort of posting a build worth it, and it would be nice to see what others come up with.

Got a question, Iím getting down to the soldering, battery charging and fan balancing. Got everything ready and found that I could not tighten the nut for the rotor because I canít stop the motor from turning! Is there a trick to this or what? What am I missing here? Any tips would be very much appreciated, I wanted to run this thing up tonight, but Iíll have to wait now!

Thanks...
Take a dremel with a cutoff wheel and cut a slot in the end of the adapter. Put a straight screwdriver in the slot to keep it from turning while tightening the nut.
(I've been watching even if not saying anything and your 100 is looking great)
Bill
bill34207 is online now Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12 o'clock high 2014
Old Mar 22, 2010, 09:26 AM
McQueeney TX
Joined Oct 2005
581 Posts
Thanks Bill, that helped, I was able to get the fan running. The problem I see though is that the adapter is made out of extremely soft metal (like most of the stuff the Chinese use in everything). I think the fan is junk really, Iím really worried about it coming apart at high RPM. I feel very apprehensive about this thing now, after feeling how much it weighs with everything, about 6 pounds, Iím also very concerned about the flimsy retracts! I think they are more suited to about a 3 or 4 pound model, max. How has others retract been holding up? I donít know, Iím just babbling here I guess. Am I overly worried?
Old Mar 22, 2010, 09:37 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,506 Posts
The stock FF retracts are acceptable as long as you are flying from pavement. Other than the one stripped piece in mine they have been holding up. I ran off into the grass on the 1st flight and it flexed the nose gear back about 10 degrees though. The wires are not stong enough for grass field landings in my opinion.
On the fan, I had a wemo midi impeller (and adapter) that I used in mine. If you can find them in stock someplace I'd suggest using it instead.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:06 AM
McQueeney TX
Joined Oct 2005
581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill34207 View Post
The stock FF retracts are acceptable as long as you are flying from pavement. Other than the one stripped piece in mine they have been holding up. I ran off into the grass on the 1st flight and it flexed the nose gear back about 10 degrees though. The wires are not stong enough for grass field landings in my opinion.
On the fan, I had a wemo midi impeller (and adapter) that I used in mine. If you can find them in stock someplace I'd suggest using it instead.
Thanks again Bill for all your help, yes I remember your maiden video, thanks for posting, it is very inspiring! Your Hun has great performance, but I canít find the Wemo brand anywhere. I think Iíll buy the HET 9305 rotor unless someone can point me in the right direction to find the Wemo unit?
Old Mar 22, 2010, 12:24 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,506 Posts
Quote:
Thanks again Bill for all your help, yes I remember your maiden video, thanks for posting, it is very inspiring! Your Hun has great performance, but I canít find the Wemo brand anywhere. I think Iíll buy the HET 9305 rotor unless someone can point me in the right direction to find the Wemo unit?
I almost suggested the 9305 as a substitute if you couldn't find a Wemotech. Not sure of what it is with the Wemo but they do seem to hard to find "in stock". EJF sells them (when available) and think Chucks Hobbys does too.
I haven't tried the 9305 so can't personally vouch for it but the HET 6904's have been good units in 70mm class. Seems I recall reading someplace that the 9305's are not as aggressive as the wemo midi so they don't move as much air at the same rpm.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 22, 2010, 04:19 PM
she`ll be apples mate
Germany/Bavaria
Joined Dec 2007
95 Posts
F-100 super sabre

Hi ,

I also have build an F-100 but I used oracover for the howl
airframe.
It is nearly finishd , here a few pics.
Zyklotron is offline Find More Posts by Zyklotron
Last edited by Zyklotron; Nov 22, 2013 at 04:45 AM.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 05:14 PM
McQueeney TX
Joined Oct 2005
581 Posts
Yea Bill, Iím giving up on the Wemotech, top speed is not my thing anyway, Iíd rather just spend my time building and flying, not waiting for parts anyway. Iím giving High-End Technology RC a try in Hong Kong, Iíve tried the ďothersĒ and the shipping on both took more than a month. I went ahead and ordered 2 HET fans and adaptors. Now someone will come in and say NO! lol! Itís not major bucks, so the first company that treats me right gets my business, itís that simple. If they can get me these parts I want to order one of their jets also.

Zyklotron, that is a radical and interesting paint scheme on that Hun, great job, please post the results of your maiden, I wish her a safe return! Like the blue on the tail also, really cool looking!
Old Mar 22, 2010, 05:47 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,756 Posts
I have stacks of Midifans in stock Shipping to the US is easy and not that expensive, up to 500g is AUD$23.00 registered mail, takes around 7-10 days.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC