SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: Which boat should I buy?
Buy the 100 ounce boat. Lighter is faster. 4 100.00%
Buy the 108 ounce boat. Heavier is faster. 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old Yesterday, 11:33 AM
Joined Jun 2014
1 Posts
Poll
R/C sailboat weight

I'm going to buy one of two used R/C sailboats that I want to race. They are one-design boats that are identical in every way, including ballast, except for their total weights. One of them weighs 100 ounces and the other weighs 108 ounces. If weight matters, which one should I buy? More information: The difference in the two boats is strictly with the hull. That is, the keels and the rigs and the batteries all weigh the same, but one hull is heavier than the other.
jspargo is offline Find More Posts by jspargo
Last edited by jspargo; Yesterday at 11:15 PM. Reason: Adding more information
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 01:23 PM
RC Newbie with lots of ideas
Chile, Santiago Metropolitan Region, Stgo
Joined Dec 2012
366 Posts
Power-to-Weight Ratio works the same as in cars: All things being equal, and if the boats are not overpowered, the lighter boat will accelerate faster.

That said, this does not mean a lighter boat will be faster in every situation. When there are waves, having more weight can be good to mantain speed.

It will be easier to help you if you tell us what sailboat this is about. I am sure someone here will know those boats and be able to help you better.
tarmstro is online now Find More Posts by tarmstro
Old Yesterday, 01:44 PM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspargo View Post
I'm going to buy one of two used R/C sailboats that I want to race. They are one-design boats that are identical in every way, including ballast, except for their total weights. One of them weighs 100 ounces and the other weighs 108 ounces. If weight matters, which one should I buy?
They can't be one design as one is 8g heavy or one is 8g lite.Buy the one that's legal.
The Tug is online now Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Yesterday, 06:27 PM
Joined Jan 2006
635 Posts
Depends on the class. I am sure that its not a star 45, which is one class that I have found that minimum weight is not all that critical. On most other classes I have found the lighter the better. Its always easier to add weight than remove it. Also within two designs, the one with more keel weight is better. Like in the star, I would prefer a boat that is 13lbs with a 8.5lb keel than a 12lb boat with a 7 lb keel.
slotracer577 is online now Find More Posts by slotracer577
Old Yesterday, 10:20 PM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
2,110 Posts
Identical one design boats with the same ballast but not the same boat weight? Where is the difference? Is it correctable? I would try to compare the balance point before making my choice, if that's possible.

Dave
boater_dave is online now Find More Posts by boater_dave
Old Yesterday, 10:46 PM
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
646 Posts
Checking here, the original post said 100 ounces and 108 ounces. I work in metric and can't be bothered converting but that is half a pound difference on a 6 pound boat yes? A BIG difference!
mrpenguin is offline Find More Posts by mrpenguin
Old Today, 12:25 AM
Canada, BC, Greater Vancouver Regional District
Joined Dec 2011
229 Posts
1/2 pound = 227 grams = huge difference in weight for just the hull.

You have not told us if you are going to race the boat in a regatta.
If racing, then:
Unless the hull is really thin on the lighter one and you need the extra strength - go with the lighter one. As mentioned, you can always add more weight or strengthen the hull.

If it's just for pleasure & will never be raced, then:
Get the heavier/stronger one.
Scratchy101 is offline Find More Posts by Scratchy101
Old Today, 04:28 AM
Joined Jan 2006
635 Posts
When you say hull, is that including electronics or just a bare hull? At roughly 6.5 lbs the bare hull can not weigh more than 20 - 24 oz. I just weighed a bare victoria hull and they are 20 oz, a star 45 is 16-20oz, a M is 12-16 oz. 8oz on a 16 to 20 oz hull is 40%-50%, a big variation in your total weight for only one component. The only time I have seen a variation like that was when I had a hull professionally painted. Added over 8 oz and really hurt the performance of the boat. They did a really nice job, several coats of paint, striping and clear coat. It adds up. If the heavier boat is cheaper and has lots of paint, might be a good buy and put in some time to sand off the paint.
If it includes electronics, then I could easily see how the weight is higher. Its easy to add a few oz with bigger servo's, battery, radio tray. Again if the heavier boat is overbuilt and cheaper, might be worth buying and redoing it with lighter components.
slotracer577 is online now Find More Posts by slotracer577