SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 22, 2015, 05:03 PM
Blue Skies
United States, VA, Williamsburg
Joined May 2012
1,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
Oddly enough your pilot "PJ" looks a lot like my pilot "Betty". Finally had to retire my beloved, but many times failed Sbach due to the canopy coming off on an outside loop and ejecting the battery, for the second time. Battery was strapped in and all magnets in place.
I was going to post after watching your first video that the landing gear isn't going to hold up to landing on the grass. Too late, sorry. Mine failed due to the plane auguring into the ground 5 times due to catastrophic mechanical failures. If you've read all the posts you might remember them. Wish I had a crash and burn video compilation. In all that Betty held tight. I glued her in with Foam-Tac. Oh the stories she could tell and the many times she spiraled down to earth. The airframe is still intact. If one ignores the firewall smashed in and the many rebuilds and mods to it there isn't even a dent or scratch on the plane. One tough airframe, except for the firewall and landing gear. May she RIP.
Good luck and many flights to you and yours.
PS...keep an eye on your rudder servo, it's the next to go....
Mike
Yes, Betty & PJ look like they're related! I do remember your many unplanned rough landings in the reading. You really had some horrific crashes. Your stories, and many others convinced me to double check, Loctite and redo my motor & its mount, and a few other parts. I have some T-Pro 90MG servos I may drop in the ELE & RUD but I'll fly what I have a few flts first. I'm also looking at some larger 17g MG servos but not sure which ones will be a drop-in without any cutting. That would be the better choice I think than the T-Pros I have. I bought some plastic hinges with metal pin hinges I need to put in too. My Dubro horns are a little too small so I'll be looking at the LHS to get some larger ones. Those Dynam ones broke even before flying.

This is my biggest plane and most expensive so far so I'm looking forward to many flts with it. I won't be as brave flying it as I've been with my profile EPP TechOne Extra 330. It'll be awhile before PJ and I get out to fly. She says to say hi to Betty in whatever she flies next. Blue skies to you and hope you have a good year in 2015 flying.
Don
hifinsword is online now Find More Posts by hifinsword
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by hifinsword; Jan 22, 2015 at 05:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2015, 05:54 PM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifinsword View Post
Yes, Betty & PJ look like they're related! I do remember your many unplanned rough landings in the reading. You really had some horrific crashes. Your stories, and many others convinced me to double check, Loctite and redo my motor & its mount, and a few other parts. I have some T-Pro 90MG servos I may drop in the ELE & RUD but I'll fly what I have a few flts first. I'm also looking at some larger 17g MG servos but not sure which ones will be a drop-in without any cutting. That would be the better choice I think than the T-Pros I have. I bought some plastic hinges with metal pin hinges I need to put in too. My Dubro horns are a little too small so I'll be looking at the LHS to get some larger ones. Those Dynam ones broke even before flying.

This is my biggest plane and most expensive so far so I'm looking forward to many flts with it. I won't be as brave flying it as I've been with my profile EPP TechOne Extra 330. It'll be awhile before PJ and I get out to fly. She says to say hi to Betty in whatever she flies next. Blue skies to you and hope you have a good year in 2015 flying.
Don
Ah....yes the motor mount. Good thing you do your home work, I had forgotten about that. Despite my many misfortunes with the Dynam Sbach she still out flew the plane I replace her with; the HiTec Extra 300S.
Let's see..I also forgot about the rudder needing hinges.
With the rudder and elevator servos, just keep an eye on them. If they stick even once they should get replaced. If it weren't for mechanical failures I would have flown the Sbach today. As I said, the airframe is flawless if you don't look into the firewall and LG.
Betty does need a plane. Not ready to retire, though she has seen a lot. All the guys at the field think she's great! Must be her....personality. She definitely belongs in a sport plane of some sort. Hmmm....
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Jan 22, 2015, 07:09 PM
USA, UT, Provo
Joined Apr 2003
962 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifinsword View Post

Don

I have used these:
http://www.buddyrc.com/new-power-xld-17hmb.html

and these:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Both will work fine. I used the HK first but got the others when I put the stabilizer in because the HK servos are not rated to stabs.
pulsar110 is offline Find More Posts by pulsar110
Old Jan 22, 2015, 09:41 PM
Blue Skies
Joined May 2012
1,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar110 View Post
I have used these:
http://www.buddyrc.com/new-power-xld-17hmb.html

and these:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Both will work fine. I used the HK first but got the others when I put the stabilizer in because the HK servos are not rated to stabs.
Thanks Pulsar. Did you have to cut any foam? I've bought from BuddyRC before. Got my order real quick.
Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2015, 12:23 AM
USA, UT, Provo
Joined Apr 2003
962 Posts
Both of those are near drop in replacements. As I recall I trimmed a little I'm the center of one of the rails so that the wire would clear easier. For the wings I got 9 gram digitals from ep buddy. No trimming for those either really.
pulsar110 is offline Find More Posts by pulsar110
Old Jan 23, 2015, 10:55 AM
Blue Skies
Joined May 2012
1,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar110 View Post
Both of those are near drop in replacements. As I recall I trimmed a little I'm the center of one of the rails so that the wire would clear easier. For the wings I got 9 gram digitals from ep buddy. No trimming for those either really.
Thanks, can't wait to get all the mods done and fly this baby.
Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2015, 08:58 AM
Blue Skies
Joined May 2012
1,595 Posts
New AIL PowerUp AS315MG 17g metal gear analog servos

I got the PowerUp AS315MG 17g metal gear analog servos from HeadsUpRC.com (HURC, their Item H-240). The cost for each is $5.95, or both for $13.90 including shipping. Their rated torque is 3.0kg @ 4.8V & 3.5kg @ 6V. Speeds are 0.11usec & 0.13usec. Not speedy, but fast enough for me. The wire was only 220mm or 6.75in long. I cut off the plugs from the new servos, and the wire and plug on the old ones and soldered them to make the wire long enough to use without an extension. The same size (small) music wire can be bent on the tip to pull the wire/plug through the wing.

As you can see from the pics, the old servos are a little smaller than TowerPro MG90S metal gear servos, but not by much. The new PU AS315s are much bigger and required some cutting. I only cut on 2 sides. I did not cut the side where the servo wire comes out, or the top of the servo where the servo arm shaft and servo arms mount the servo. It wasn't hard if you use a NEW razor blade. It takes away the option of using a smaller servo later, but why would anyone do that?

I put a new PowerUp AS315MG 17g servo in the RUD/ELE tray to compare and the RUD/ELE servos are just a bit deeper than the new servos. There's no writing I could see on the RUD/ELE servos so I'm not sure what size they are. But they seem larger than the new ones so I'm guessing they're at least 17g servos.

Here's a pic of the music wire tool I made to heat up and get the old servos out. The new servos are being held in with some clear packing tape over them. It sticks well to the packing tape I put on the entire wing surface. I thought about using hot glue but what a PITA to get the old ones out. I'm confident the tape will do well. If anyone has tried this tape technique and had it fail, please comment.

The weather has been too darn cold for me to get out and try the new servos.
Don
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by hifinsword; Feb 14, 2015 at 09:19 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 09:37 AM
Blue Skies
Joined May 2012
1,595 Posts
New hinges

I used these 7/8in nylon hinges from ValueHobby.com. Once I cut all the slots on the control surface and the horizontal & vertical stabs and the wings using a standard #11 razor blade, I did a dry mount to make sure everything fit. This is a MUST-DO I think or you'll end up with a mess if something doesn't slide in on the 1st try.

Then I put FoamTac glue on the leading edges and across the bottom half of the hinge. As you push the hinge into the slot, glue is pushed onto the surface and minimizes getting outside of the slot. I only do one set of surfaces at a time before moving on to the next one. If you are worried about getting glue on the metal hinge pin, you can put vaseline on it to minimize it. But FoamTac dries so that it peels off easily from metal or plastic surfaces.

Once all the hinges are in the control surface that I am working on, I put FoamTac on the other half of the hinges and mount them simultaneously and quickly. FoamTac may not cure that fast but it does dry quickly once it's inside the surface. You only have about 30-45 secs to move it much before it's in solid.
Don
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by hifinsword; Feb 14, 2015 at 01:16 PM.