HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 03:28 PM
D'mon
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2013
92 Posts
Discussion
carts for transporting rc boats to the pond

I am looking into building a cart for moving multiple (2 or 3 at a time, up to 4 feet long) boats from the back of my car to the pond. The artsi-fartsy designers of our pond decided that cobblestones look really nice but they shake the sh** out of my boats when using a conventional cart or dolly. Believe me, I know - I have both and my boats have suffered because of those da** cobblestones! And I have between 1/2 and 2 blocks to walk with my boats, depending o the parking situation for that day.

I got a great price on four 10" pneumatic wheels, so step one is done. Now I am looking at a decent design for a multi level sling style cart... I am also looking at making it so it hangs sideways off my trailer hitch for transport, but I can figure that out myself. I have a mig welder, grinder, etc (tool junkie) so if I see it I can build it (within reason, that is).

So what I am asking for is some pics of what you folks are using. Any help is much appreciated.
Dmon96 is offline Find More Posts by Dmon96
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 12:50 AM
Po' boys does w/ Po'boys ways
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Feb 2011
615 Posts
bread rack them

Hey sorry you are haveing diffs with your local engineer designers!!,...How about a wider cart that stacks them up ? the air tires will help alot!, but maybe you need look at your cushioning n secureing methods as well!!,..a few extra minutes of prevention is better than days in drydock repairs!! ,..I can say this from xperience!!!,...you did not send any pic's of your current cart so it's hard to advise / improve it without knowing what we are commenting about.,.....Tim
haxawsnavy is offline Find More Posts by haxawsnavy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Vittles!!
Old Today, 09:30 AM
D'mon
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2013
92 Posts
I guess I should have clarified - I am building an all new cart. Currently I am using a collapsible two wheeled dolly with pool noodle bumpers to carry one boat sideways. This is great for the launching at the edge of the pond, but there is no suspension so the boat gets jarred about when rolling across those darn cobblestones. Our pond is in the middle of Assiniboine Park in Winnipeg, so I guess we can't complain about the walkways being done in cobblestone, and the ducks and geese don't mind it. My other cart is just a flat collapsible cart from Harbor Freight - 4" wheels, no suspension.
http://www.harborfreight.com/19-in-x...uck-68895.htmlTotally unsuited for modification, so this is why I am starting from scratch.

I am hoping to see how people are actually cradling their boats in their carts- netting, slings, etc. I have boats from 22" to 48" currently, and would like to be able to pick and choose whichever boats I decide to take to the pond that day, and be able to take up to 3. I realize that it is a tall order, but we are now in the throes of winter, and will be for another 4-5 months so I have time.

We also have another pond that we go to sometimes, but it is a good half mile trek to get to the launch point. That path is grass but at a sideways angle for a good part of it, so any slight jar tends to work the boat off the side of my cart.

So basically I am looking to build a cart that will hold securely 1-3 boats ranging from 2-4 feet in length, which will still shield them from any bumps or jars as they are rolling. Furthermore, the cart must either be collapsible or can be suspended off my trailer hitch receiver for transport to and from the pond.

"No Problem"... Life is boring without challenge, I guess.
Dmon96 is offline Find More Posts by Dmon96
Old Today, 12:06 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,461 Posts
I know three people that have this type of cart.
Should be an easy build.

http://www.harborfreight.com/steel-m...gon-60359.html

Boat cradles are usually the same as what they use to table display.
Umi_Ryuzuki is online now Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki