SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 21, 2014, 04:37 AM
New Zealand, Wellington, Wellington City
Joined May 2012
70 Posts
Discussion
F.E.S. in 1/3 scale JS 1

I thought this would be great to try.(now that it is being done in the full size)

I think that we may see this in many full size sailplanes in the future and maybe in comp sailplanes if they can reduce the drag.I guess the models come first and the full size copy.

It works great and I can get three flights to 800 or 900 feet.
Motor 5055 700KV
100A speedcontroller
Two 3s 3700 making 6s
13x7.5 prop
The only downside is I have to hold full up elevator on takeoff to keep the prop from hitting the ground,but as soon as it gets in the air I have push the stick forward.
Woo
WOO WHO is online now Find More Posts by WOO WHO
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2014, 05:39 PM
Blenheim, NZ
Joined Dec 2007
1,197 Posts
Cool Woo

Beautiflly executed Woo. My next scale glider will have to be set up this way, perhaps with a long legged gear. I love the scale FES spinner and nose strips. Its had to argue this is inappropriate on a scale sailplane these days.
Perhaps the Diana should have one?

Allan
AllanK1 is offline Find More Posts by AllanK1
Old Nov 23, 2014, 06:35 PM
Joined May 2012
70 Posts
Allan I see that Danni has put a FES in his Choco fly Diana 2,I guess this is for GPS racing.
I had a fly with the JS 1 last week and I damaged the tail landing in the long grass,I notice that the prop was spinning on landing And I thought the motor was still running making the model not touch the ground.But all I need to do is to turn on the motor brake.

Woo
Old Nov 24, 2014, 03:22 PM
Blenheim, NZ
Joined Dec 2007
1,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOO WHO View Post
Allan I see that Danni has put a FES in his Choco fly Diana 2,I guess this is for GPS racing.
I had a fly with the JS 1 last week and I damaged the tail landing in the long grass,I notice that the prop was spinning on landing And I thought the motor was still running making the model not touch the ground.But all I need to do is to turn on the motor brake.

Woo
It is interesting how much more drag a rotating prop causes. You will probably even notice the difference on the big JS1.
AllanK1 is offline Find More Posts by AllanK1
Old Nov 24, 2014, 04:28 PM
United States, MA, Braintree
Joined Apr 2005
16 Posts
F.e.s.

Very interested in what you did, it look great. Can you please tell me what F.E.S. stands for? Also, where can I purchase the spinner and who manufactured the motor that you are using.
I'm putting together a Top Model 4.5M Ventus and would like to put a motor in the nose. Finding a spinner that is close to the contour is next to impossible. Yours is a perfect match, very nice!
imrm is offline Find More Posts by imrm
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:20 AM
Joined May 2012
70 Posts
Hi imrm, F E S stands for Front Electric Sustainer.

The spinner like the full size is made from the nose of the glider,I made A mount for it all from HobbyKing.

Woo
Old Nov 25, 2014, 07:20 AM
Joined Apr 2005
16 Posts
FES Spinner

Thanks for the information and photographs, very helpful.
Unfortunately the Ventus nose is not quite round, it's a little oval.
I could force it into round with the motor mounting plate and do the same for the cut off spinner portion. Something to consider.
Thank you
Old Nov 25, 2014, 09:53 AM
Bremen/Germany
Joined Apr 2004
476 Posts
@ imrm (complicated name ... how do you pronounce it ? ),

check out the following site of M. Reisenauer

http://www.reisenauer.de/artikeldetails.php5?aid=958

also the Freudenthaler items on this site and get in touch with him directly.

Quite a few Top Model Discus/Ventus models have been equipped here with these spinners and they look as good as one expects.

Herbert
h.eberbach is offline Find More Posts by h.eberbach
Old Nov 26, 2014, 08:30 AM
Joined Apr 2005
16 Posts
Spinner for Ventus

Thank you Herbert,
The spinner you provided in the link looks like it will work for my application. I will make contact and try to purchase. Just need to determine the best size to use on the Top Model Ventus. I expect 44mm or slightly less should do the job. Just hope I can purchase direct and they will send items to the USA.
As for my name; mrm those are my initials, I just put an "I" in front for no particular reason. My name is Marty, and thank you again for you guidance.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 09:49 AM
Bremen/Germany
Joined Apr 2004
476 Posts
Alright Marty ,

I am pleased if I were able to help you - but beware, there are, to my knowledge, only two "blunt" spinners of this brand available.
Also check the Freudenthaler spinner combos with the offset prop middle section. They should fit equally well. Mr. Reisenauer will know.

Herbert
h.eberbach is offline Find More Posts by h.eberbach