SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 13, 2014, 12:22 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,558 Posts
Discussion
Knight Twister

Triggs scale drawing of the type. Sorry, you'll have to scroll down to it.

http://www.firelightgroups.com/airplane3views/

Period article about Clyde Parsons and and his slick airplane, back in the 60's.
http://www.steenaero.com/articles_de...m?ArticleID=71

Clyde Parsons and Bud Fountain started Gold Coast airshows in the early 60's, based out of Modesto, Calif. Clyde usually flew his yellow and white Menasco powered Great Lakes (also seen in Tracy photo), but occasionally wrung out the Knight Twister, as an added bonus. IIRC, Clyde and his KT DOMINATED biplane racing at Reno, until outlawed by new rules. He was often part of the airshow there, as well.

A large contingent of San Jose people went over to the Tracy air show mentioned in the article. My whole family was there. That may have been N67P's first public debut. Back at Ried's Hill View Airport, in San Jose, where Mr. and Mrs Parsons often visited, there was some wild speculation among the regulars, about how the KT got it's smooth finish. The account appearing above above is the first I remember ever hearing or reading about. Makes perfect sense, now (!). Fibre glass was a fairly unknown process in aviation circles, at that time.

I saw Clyde and his Knight Twister fly on several occasions. I 'd been up close and personal to it, almost as much. It was the slickest airplane I ever saw, growing up. It was also BEAUTIFUL. But then, I am biased.

On a sad note, some years later , Clyde had a heart problem while practicing aerobatics in the Knight Twister, above his home field. Neither survived.
packardpursuit is online now Find More Posts by packardpursuit
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2014, 08:59 PM
Joined May 2012
1,078 Posts
Interesting tidbit:

From: http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/fo...r-biplane.html
I recently discovered a drawing created by Vernon Payne the designer of the Knight Twister biplane. It shows the method he used to calculate the aircraft's CG. 25% of the MAC of each wing is inline with 25% of all the ribs. All ribs are alined at 25% chord. (see lower drawing). He uses 22% for CP. Airfoil is NACA M6. It appears he used trial and error to get the top two equations to balance as they are not exactly the same.

TedD60 is offline Find More Posts by TedD60
Old Jun 13, 2014, 09:08 PM
Joined May 2012
1,078 Posts

A discussion of this a/c and the below drawings by Vernon W. Payne can be found here:

http://www.steenaero.com/articles_de...m?ArticleID=57

Old Jun 13, 2014, 09:11 PM
Joined May 2012
1,078 Posts
Knight Twister, 2 place.

Old Jun 15, 2014, 09:10 AM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,230 Posts
Re the Knight Twister CG calculation, I note that there is no provision for including pilot weight in the calculation. This would be very important for a two-place version. Is there a two-placer? Not that it would matter for a scale model of either the single- or two-place KT.

Jim R.
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old Jun 15, 2014, 08:22 PM
Joined May 2012
1,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRuggiero View Post
Re the Knight Twister CG calculation, I note that there is no provision for including pilot weight in the calculation. This would be very important for a two-place version. Is there a two-placer? Not that it would matter for a scale model of either the single- or two-place KT.

Jim R.
Yes, there is a 2 place version. It is called the Knight Twister Co-Ed.

From the Knight Twister forum http://knighttwister.com/kt2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=222

"The Knight Twister Coed is the latest entry into the long life of the Knight Twister family designed by Vernon Payne. All Knight Twisters are basically similar and have evolved over many years of improvements and small design changes for purpose specific outcomes like air-racing, acrobatics, etc. The Coed is a 2 place version of this fast biplane and has the largest increase in size over the other models. It's upper wing span is 22.5' and fuselage is 17.5' in length. It was designed for a Lycoming 0-290 engine but can handle a range from 125 to 150 hp. Cruse speed is projected to be 135-145 MPH. One fairly major change to the Coed version is an in flight adjustable horizontal stabilizer based on a jack screw in the tail (the elevator also has an optional adjustable trim tab for flight control pressure tuning). The adjustable stabilizer allows for the changes required for differences in weight and center of gravity when carrying passengers in the front seat."