HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 04, 2013, 12:43 PM
United States, MN, Shoreview
Joined Apr 2013
50 Posts
Question
Help mounting an 808 cam to RC Plane

Hello All!

First post, so forgive me if I'm in the wrong area.

I've just purchased my first RC plane (the HobbyZone Firebird Stratos) and am excited to fly this weekend.

I'd like to also mount my 808 keycam (#16) to the plane to start recording my flights. Does anyone have any experience or tips mounting these cameras to RC planes? I see some people using velcro, but I'm wondering if there's any better solutions out there.

Thanks so much for your help!
metro_088 is offline Find More Posts by metro_088
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2013, 12:57 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
I did it this way on mine...
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Apr 04, 2013, 01:35 PM
Joined Apr 2013
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky Paul View Post
I did it this way on mine...
Wow, thanks, that looks perfect. That was the second part of my question that I forgot to ask - where would be the best location to mount the camera. It seems like mounting it on the top would produce a video with mostly sky in it. If I could angle it down, somehow, it seems like I would get more footage of the landscape around me. No idea how to do that, though...
Old Apr 04, 2013, 03:04 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
Aim the camera where you want it.
Note, the D-lens will give the best field of view, but the horizon will wave up and down like a pizza being tossed by the cook as the plane pitches up and down.
about 3 minutes into this video... the plane had four cameras running.. at the time, that is an 808 w/Dlens
The Big Vee flying with 4 cameras onboard. (15 min 1 sec)
Old Apr 04, 2013, 03:05 PM
United States, FL, Palm Beach
Joined Jan 2011
1,162 Posts
I've mounted mine with 1" sq velcro on multiple planes. Never had it come off. But just in case, I also tie a few inches of fishing line to it and affix the other end to some part of the plane. On my flying wing, I simple taped down the line with a small strip of duct tape. That way even if it comes off the velcro in a crash, it won't go tumbling away..
viper522 is offline Find More Posts by viper522
Old Apr 04, 2013, 04:14 PM
Joined Apr 2013
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper522 View Post
I've mounted mine with 1" sq velcro on multiple planes. Never had it come off. But just in case, I also tie a few inches of fishing line to it and affix the other end to some part of the plane. On my flying wing, I simple taped down the line with a small strip of duct tape. That way even if it comes off the velcro in a crash, it won't go tumbling away..
Have you found any part of the plane works best for mounting? I'm worried about CG and aerodynamics.
Old Apr 04, 2013, 07:42 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
Video from my Stratos.. 2 cameras, B-lens and D-lens
Firebird Stratos with 2 keyfob cameras (6 min 53 sec)
Old Apr 04, 2013, 11:52 PM
Joined Apr 2013
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky Paul View Post
Video from my Stratos.. 2 cameras, B-lens and D-lens
https://vimeo.com/63366543
Paul, that's beautiful. Thanks for sending that. I wish I had somewhere that nice to fly.

Also, it was excellent to see the B vs D lens. I've ordered both and I think I'll switch to the D.

Thanks again!
Old Apr 05, 2013, 10:17 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro_088 View Post
Have you found any part of the plane works best for mounting? I'm worried about CG and aerodynamics.
Never gave it a second thought, from a 56" plane to a 32" flying wing. Any effect it might have can be trimmed out once its in the air. Good enough for me.
Old Apr 07, 2013, 06:26 AM
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Dec 2010
785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro_088 View Post
Hello All!

First post, so forgive me if I'm in the wrong area.

I've just purchased my first RC plane (the HobbyZone Firebird Stratos) and am excited to fly this weekend.

I'd like to also mount my 808 keycam (#16) to the plane to start recording my flights. Does anyone have any experience or tips mounting these cameras to RC planes? I see some people using velcro, but I'm wondering if there's any better solutions out there.

Thanks so much for your help!
Generally aircraft will fly well being slightly nose heavy. The thing to avoid is tail heavy as this can cause stability problems.

Have fun..
VideoKing is online now Find More Posts by VideoKing
Old Apr 11, 2013, 12:02 PM
Joined Apr 2013
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoKing View Post
Generally aircraft will fly well being slightly nose heavy. The thing to avoid is tail heavy as this can cause stability problems.

Have fun..:D
Thanks VideoKing. I did just as you said and the plane flew great. Many thanks to everyone in this thread. I'm very excited about the possibilities.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 04:37 AM
Graham Dyer
Johannesburg, South Africa
Joined Jul 2003
701 Posts
Tail mount (on vertical fin), just using velcro:

Lovely morning for a flight - #16 v2 808 keychain camera (2 min 40 sec)
pardus is offline Find More Posts by pardus
Old Apr 14, 2013, 08:30 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,252 Posts
I don't like velcro. It allows the camera to vibrate when the motor is running and this causes jello (wavy lines thru the video)

I always use hotmelt glue on foamies Gives a solid mount and you can "snap" the glue off quite easily if you wish to remove the camera.

Put plenty on, it won't make it any harder to get off

I still tie it on with dental floss string though, just for safety

Kev
Berkie is offline Find More Posts by Berkie
Old Apr 14, 2013, 08:51 AM
Graham Dyer
Johannesburg, South Africa
Joined Jul 2003
701 Posts
Velcro I've found, has a small bit of vibration resistance as the fibres give way a little to vibes. Velcro is also just so easy, it pulls off and re-attaches in a second, hotmelt is a once-off, you can't re-attach without a hotmelt glue gun, which is (normally) not where one is flying.
But but each to his own, you'll have to find something which works for you, these are all just suggestions
pardus is offline Find More Posts by pardus
Old Apr 14, 2013, 10:28 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,162 Posts
I've used velcro to mount it, then a piece of painter's tape over the top to stop it from wobbling. worked well